One for Sheldon maybe: sprocket thickness, uniglide vs. hyperglide

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by maxo, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. maxo

    maxo Guest

    Again, pertaining to the recycled $8 Rockhopper (It's now got $45
    invested as I'm a big spender :p).

    The rear mech is a Deore SIS 6 speed with a 6 speed cassette. Five
    sprockets, their corresponding spacers and a sprocket that screws onto the
    *outside* of the cassette as a lock ring.

    From what I've researched, Shimano built 6, 7, and 8 speeds on this
    particular Uniglide cassette, the difference simply being the spacers.

    Mine's set up 13-31, which is a bit broad for the city and the shifting is
    rather noisy, albeit accurate. I'm wanting to go 13-26.

    I've got a bunch of sprockets from a Sram cassette I broke up to get some
    spacers for my SS project, and they've got a couple thousand more miles to
    spare. These will fit fine on the UG body if I grind off the large "tooth"
    that's specific to the hyperglide body.

    So far so good, in theory at least, It all depends on the Sram sprockets
    being the same thickness as the UG sprockets. I'm not going to go make
    myself a chain whip if they ain't--but if they are, it seems to be a cheap
    way to keep using this UG body (I don't mind investing garage time on this
    bike as it's interesting play, but don't want to throw money at it). 6
    speeds is plenty for 'round town, but the 13-31 spread makes the jumps
    between gears a little annoying. The shifting promises to be much improved
    as well.

    Any gearheads care to comment?

    :)

    Tags:

  2. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    maxo wrote:
    > Again, pertaining to the recycled $8 Rockhopper (It's now got $45
    > invested as I'm a big spender :p).
    >
    > The rear mech is a Deore SIS 6 speed with a 6 speed cassette. Five
    > sprockets, their corresponding spacers and a sprocket that screws

    onto the
    > *outside* of the cassette as a lock ring.
    >
    > From what I've researched, Shimano built 6, 7, and 8 speeds on this
    > particular Uniglide cassette, the difference simply being the

    spacers.

    > Mine's set up 13-31, which is a bit broad for the city and the

    shifting is
    > rather noisy, albeit accurate. I'm wanting to go 13-26.
    >
    > I've got a bunch of sprockets from a Sram cassette I broke up to get

    some
    > spacers for my SS project, and they've got a couple thousand more

    miles to
    > spare. These will fit fine on the UG body if I grind off the large

    "tooth"
    > that's specific to the hyperglide body.
    >
    > So far so good, in theory at least, It all depends on the Sram

    sprockets
    > being the same thickness as the UG sprockets. I'm not going to go

    make
    > myself a chain whip if they ain't--but if they are, it seems to be a

    cheap
    > way to keep using this UG body (I don't mind investing garage time on

    this
    > bike as it's interesting play, but don't want to throw money at it).

    6
    > speeds is plenty for 'round town, but the 13-31 spread makes the

    jumps
    > between gears a little annoying. The shifting promises to be much

    improved
    > as well.
    >
    > Any gearheads care to comment?
    >
    > :)

    So, as I see it, if there is a very technical question, we go to
    Sheldon. So who do we address the dumb questions (to)? Sorry to end a
    sentence with a preposition, but who cares about (it). ;-) Boy I am
    punchy today. I am going to "happy hour" after work. One absolute
    martini, dirty, with two olives. Have a great evening Bicycle people.
    Love,
    Maggie
    Maggie

  3. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    maxo wrote:
    > Again, pertaining to the recycled $8 Rockhopper (It's now got $45
    > invested as I'm a big spender :p).
    >
    > The rear mech is a Deore SIS 6 speed with a 6 speed cassette. Five
    > sprockets, their corresponding spacers and a sprocket that screws

    onto the
    > *outside* of the cassette as a lock ring.
    >
    > From what I've researched, Shimano built 6, 7, and 8 speeds on this
    > particular Uniglide cassette, the difference simply being the

    spacers.

    > Mine's set up 13-31, which is a bit broad for the city and the

    shifting is
    > rather noisy, albeit accurate. I'm wanting to go 13-26.
    >
    > I've got a bunch of sprockets from a Sram cassette I broke up to get

    some
    > spacers for my SS project, and they've got a couple thousand more

    miles to
    > spare. These will fit fine on the UG body if I grind off the large

    "tooth"
    > that's specific to the hyperglide body.
    >
    > So far so good, in theory at least, It all depends on the Sram

    sprockets
    > being the same thickness as the UG sprockets. I'm not going to go

    make
    > myself a chain whip if they ain't--but if they are, it seems to be a

    cheap
    > way to keep using this UG body (I don't mind investing garage time on

    this
    > bike as it's interesting play, but don't want to throw money at it).

    6
    > speeds is plenty for 'round town, but the 13-31 spread makes the

    jumps
    > between gears a little annoying. The shifting promises to be much

    improved
    > as well.
    >
    > Any gearheads care to comment?
    >
    > :)

    So, as I see it, if there is a very technical question, we go to
    Sheldon. So who do we address the dumb questions (to)? Sorry to end a
    sentence with a preposition, but who cares about (it). ;-) Boy I am
    punchy today. I am going to "happy hour" after work. One absolute
    martini, dirty, with two olives. Have a great evening Bicycle people.
    Love,
    Maggie
    Maggie

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > So, as I see it, if there is a very technical question, we go to
    > Sheldon. So who do we address the dumb questions (to)? Sorry to end a
    > sentence with a preposition, but who cares about (it). ;-) Boy I am
    > punchy today. I am going to "happy hour" after work. One absolute
    > martini, dirty, with two olives. Have a great evening Bicycle people.
    > Love,
    > Maggie
    > Maggie

    Sheldon is The Oracle.
    Sheldon is the Great Fount Of Knowledge; The Big Giant Sprocket who is
    All-Seeing and All-Knowing about matters pedal cycle.
    He, via his great omniscissinsse...errr, whatever, knows when his name is
    uttered, even in hushed voices anywhere on the Net. One just has to repeat
    the incantation

    Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon
    Answer the lowly plea of a cyclist in need
    Sheldon, oh Sheldon
    I promise faithfully to worship at the altar of sheldonbrown.com

    Your plea is likely to be answered.

    Cheers, helen s
    (in need of medication)

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > So, as I see it, if there is a very technical question, we go to
    > Sheldon. So who do we address the dumb questions (to)? Sorry to end a
    > sentence with a preposition, but who cares about (it). ;-) Boy I am
    > punchy today. I am going to "happy hour" after work. One absolute
    > martini, dirty, with two olives. Have a great evening Bicycle people.
    > Love,
    > Maggie
    > Maggie

    Sheldon is The Oracle.
    Sheldon is the Great Fount Of Knowledge; The Big Giant Sprocket who is
    All-Seeing and All-Knowing about matters pedal cycle.
    He, via his great omniscissinsse...errr, whatever, knows when his name is
    uttered, even in hushed voices anywhere on the Net. One just has to repeat
    the incantation

    Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon
    Answer the lowly plea of a cyclist in need
    Sheldon, oh Sheldon
    I promise faithfully to worship at the altar of sheldonbrown.com

    Your plea is likely to be answered.

    Cheers, helen s
    (in need of medication)

  6. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:58 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

    > Your plea is likely to be answered.

    I was my own oracle. managed to get the lock sprocket off with
    channel-locks and a piece of rubber (don't ask, it worked and was gentle),
    took apart the existing cassette, shaved the nubs off of the spacers,
    ground the fat prongs down on the Sram sprockets and reassembled.

    Shifts beautifully and runs silently. Would probably run a bit better with
    a new chain, not a hyperglide.

    /me hugs parts bucket.

    Never throw anything away, one day you'll need that cotter!

    :D

  7. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:58 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

    > Your plea is likely to be answered.

    I was my own oracle. managed to get the lock sprocket off with
    channel-locks and a piece of rubber (don't ask, it worked and was gentle),
    took apart the existing cassette, shaved the nubs off of the spacers,
    ground the fat prongs down on the Sram sprockets and reassembled.

    Shifts beautifully and runs silently. Would probably run a bit better with
    a new chain, not a hyperglide.

    /me hugs parts bucket.

    Never throw anything away, one day you'll need that cotter!

    :D

  8. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:58 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> Your plea is likely to be answered.

    >I was my own oracle. managed to get the lock sprocket off with
    >channel-locks and a piece of rubber (don't ask, it worked and was gentle),
    >took apart the existing cassette, shaved the nubs off of the spacers,
    >ground the fat prongs down on the Sram sprockets and reassembled.
    >
    >Shifts beautifully and runs silently. Would probably run a bit better with
    >a new chain, not a hyperglide.
    >
    >/me hugs parts bucket.
    >
    >Never throw anything away, one day you'll need that cotter!
    >
    >:D

    Sheldon also knows when it's best to sit back and let us cycling
    plebeians figure it out for ourselves.

  9. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:58 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> Your plea is likely to be answered.

    >I was my own oracle. managed to get the lock sprocket off with
    >channel-locks and a piece of rubber (don't ask, it worked and was gentle),
    >took apart the existing cassette, shaved the nubs off of the spacers,
    >ground the fat prongs down on the Sram sprockets and reassembled.
    >
    >Shifts beautifully and runs silently. Would probably run a bit better with
    >a new chain, not a hyperglide.
    >
    >/me hugs parts bucket.
    >
    >Never throw anything away, one day you'll need that cotter!
    >
    >:D

    Sheldon also knows when it's best to sit back and let us cycling
    plebeians figure it out for ourselves.

  10. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:46:48 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

    > Sheldon also knows when it's best to sit back and let us cycling plebeians
    > figure it out for ourselves.

    Who you callin' plebian? Once you start using a bench grinder to modify
    parts, you've entered the "zone". I was merely requesting an opinion for
    an, er, "colleague". LOL

    (Sheldon *does* make my knowledge base look that that of a wee child...)

    :D

  11. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:46:48 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

    > Sheldon also knows when it's best to sit back and let us cycling plebeians
    > figure it out for ourselves.

    Who you callin' plebian? Once you start using a bench grinder to modify
    parts, you've entered the "zone". I was merely requesting an opinion for
    an, er, "colleague". LOL

    (Sheldon *does* make my knowledge base look that that of a wee child...)

    :D

  12. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >Sheldon is The Oracle.
    >Sheldon is the Great Fount Of Knowledge; The Big Giant Sprocket who is
    >All-Seeing and All-Knowing about matters pedal cycle.

    Or if his answer is not enlightening it will be entertaining.

    --
    mac the naïf

  13. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >Sheldon is The Oracle.
    >Sheldon is the Great Fount Of Knowledge; The Big Giant Sprocket who is
    >All-Seeing and All-Knowing about matters pedal cycle.

    Or if his answer is not enlightening it will be entertaining.

    --
    mac the naïf

  14. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Alex Colvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Or if his answer is not enlightening it will be entertaining.

    Oh yes, I'm looking forward to April 1st :)

    Cheers, helen s

    > --
    > mac the naïf

  15. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Alex Colvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Or if his answer is not enlightening it will be entertaining.

    Oh yes, I'm looking forward to April 1st :)

    Cheers, helen s

    > --
    > mac the naïf

  16. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    maxo <[email protected]> writes:

    > (Sheldon *does* make my knowledge base look that that of a wee child...)
    >
    >:D

    I stand in awe of Andrew Muzi's knowledge base as well.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  17. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    maxo <[email protected]> writes:

    > (Sheldon *does* make my knowledge base look that that of a wee child...)
    >
    >:D

    I stand in awe of Andrew Muzi's knowledge base as well.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  18. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Maggie wrote:

    > So who do we address the dumb questions (to)?

    "Little Bill" Baka

    He'll have an answer. And a story. And it'll be a good one.

  19. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Maggie wrote:

    > So who do we address the dumb questions (to)?

    "Little Bill" Baka

    He'll have an answer. And a story. And it'll be a good one.

  20. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Maggie wrote:
    >
    >> So who do we address the dumb questions (to)?

    > "Little Bill" Baka
    >
    > He'll have an answer. And a story. And it'll be a good one.

    The thing is, you don't NEED to address 'em to him! He'll jump in (more
    like a cannonball) regardless. (The stories are quite funny, though, I must
    admit.)