One for the record books

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, you know?, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4346529.stm

    A man has had his car seized by police from a retail park after he
    failed to act on a warning over his driving.

    The Honda was taken away, under the Police Reform Act 2002, from the
    Spitfire Retail Park in Trowbridge in Wiltshire on Sunday night.

    Police said the 21-year-old driver had received a warning previously,
    but had continued to drive in a careless manner and had annoyed other
    road users.

    He will have to pay £105 to get his vehicle back, plus the cost of
    storage.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > He will have to pay £105 to get his vehicle back, plus the cost of
    > storage.

    I do hope the local Polis use a /very/ expensive garage...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Police said [he] ... had continued to drive in a careless manner ...

    So why didn't they charge him with driving without due care and
    attention as well?

  4. Graham Dean

    Graham Dean Guest

    What was the criminal offence? Why didn't they charge him?

    Graham

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4346529.stm
    >
    > A man has had his car seized by police from a retail park after he
    > failed to act on a warning over his driving.
    >
    > The Honda was taken away, under the Police Reform Act 2002, from the
    > Spitfire Retail Park in Trowbridge in Wiltshire on Sunday night.
    >
    > Police said the 21-year-old driver had received a warning previously,
    > but had continued to drive in a careless manner and had annoyed other
    > road users.
    >
    > He will have to pay £105 to get his vehicle back, plus the cost of
    > storage.
    >
    > Guy
    > --
    > May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    > http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
    >
    > 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  5. JLB

    JLB Guest

    Paul Rudin wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
    >

    >>Police said [he] ... had continued to drive in a careless manner ...

    > So why didn't they charge him with driving without due care and
    > attention as well?

    Perhaps because it would be superfluous in the circumstances,
    long-winded, expensive, requiring a great deal of paperwork, the taking
    of statements and following all the rules of evidence, the involvement
    of the CPS, the preparation of court papers, the serving of a summons,
    the hearing at the local County Court involving magistrates, clerk of
    the court, ushers and the rest of the paraphernalia and no doubt many
    other things I've overlooked. All of it at tax-payers expense, and quite
    possibly going off the rails due to some annoying oversight along the
    way allowing the wee toerag to get away with it.

    While this was quick, direct, simple and got the point across at least
    as effectively.

    Well done those coppers.

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

  6. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    Graham Dean wrote:
    > What was the criminal offence? Why didn't they charge him?

    I don't know about this specific case but the Wilishire police are using
    the equivalent of ASBOs to target certain kinds of antisocial car use.
    The place mentioned is a retail park on the edge of Trowbridge where
    there is a long history of yoofs congregating with chavmobiles to do
    donuts, woofer competitions and suchlike. I think the policy is a
    gentle warning followed by confiscation. Given that it is private land
    outside shopping hours it might be quite difficult to prove a criminal
    offence; however, the local residents are pretty clear about whether it
    is antisocial or not.

    It does raise the general question though of why the police are happy to
    confiscate cars for donut competitions but not for some of the more
    serious lunacy we see daily on the roads.

    Peter

    --

    www.amey.org.uk

  7. Tony Hogarty

    Tony Hogarty Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:20:36 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:

    > I do hope the local Polis use a /very/ expensive garage...

    Heathrow short term parking sounds like a good idea to me

    --
    Regards

    Tony Hogarty
    (Take out the garbage to reply)

  8. Graham Dean

    Graham Dean Guest

    Yes - I guess so, and I do see antisocial behaviour around and it can be
    very annoying...

    I suppose I'm just generally wary of authorities being biased - I know, as I
    used to ride a motorbike (actually still do sometimes!) that all policing is
    not 'fair'.

    Cheers,
    Graham

    news:[email protected]