one good reason to avoid wheat, rye,and barley grains in the diet

tcomeau wrote:

> see:
>
> http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/celiac.html
>
> The manifestations of celiac disease are initiated (and re-initiated) in susceptible individuals
> upon eating wheat, rye, or barley, or any products from these grains that contain the main storage
> proteins of these grains.

It's a genetic disease. If you don't have the gene, it's not a concern. Do you avoid any food that
someone else might be allergic to?

--Jeff

--
Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has; That's how we pass the day away, in the merry
old land of Oz.

Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> tcomeau wrote:
>
> > see:
> >
> > http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/celiac.html
> >
> > The manifestations of celiac disease are initiated (and re-initiated) in susceptible individuals
> > upon eating wheat, rye, or barley, or any products from these grains that contain the main
> > storage proteins of these grains.
>
> It's a genetic disease. If you don't have the gene, it's not a concern. Do you avoid any food that
> someone else might be allergic to?
>
> --Jeff

I'm told that obesity is a *genetic* condition. Mental illness is a *genetic* condition. Heart
disease is a *genetic* disease. Diabetes is a *genetic* disease. But somehow these *genetic*
diseases seem to increase in incidence, some of these *genetic* diseases have doubled or tripled in
the last 30 years. Somehow the *genetic* diseases are spreading wider and farther. Families that
never had these problems in the past are now having them. How is this possible? Are we genetically
mutating? That is the fasted spread of *genetic* disease ever encountered in human history.

But it is related to genes. We evolved without refined carbs and large amounts of grains in the
diet. Our bodies are not genetically programmed to to be able to handle a diet high in refined carbs
and grains. Consumption of refined carbs, for instance high-fructose corn syrup, has increased at
about the same rate as diabetes. This has caused the epidemics of obesity, heart disease, diabetes
and mental illness/depression.

Grains are not well tolerated by many people. Some react worse than others. In the end, it is not a
historically or evolutionary natural source of nutrition for humans and will cause some degree of
problems, one way or another, for humans in general.

TC

tcomeau wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:
>>tcomeau wrote:
>>

>>>see:
>>>
>>>http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/celiac.html
>>>
>>>The manifestations of celiac disease are initiated (and re-initiated) in susceptible individuals
>>>upon eating wheat, rye, or barley, or any products from these grains that contain the main
>>>storage proteins of these grains.
>>
>>It's a genetic disease. If you don't have the gene, it's not a concern. Do you avoid any food that
>>someone else might be allergic to?
>
> I'm told that obesity is a *genetic* condition.

You should stop listening to charlatans, that is your problem.

> Mental illness is a *genetic* condition. Heart disease is a *genetic* disease. Diabetes is a
> *genetic* disease. But somehow these *genetic* diseases seem to increase in incidence, some of
> these *genetic* diseases have doubled or tripled in the last 30 years. Somehow the *genetic*
> diseases are spreading wider and farther. Families that never had these problems in the past are
> now having them. How is this possible? Are we genetically mutating? That is the fasted spread of
> *genetic* disease ever encountered in human history.
>
> But it is related to genes. We evolved without refined carbs and large amounts of grains in the
> diet. Our bodies are not genetically programmed to to be able to handle a diet high in refined
> carbs and grains. Consumption of refined carbs, for instance high-fructose corn syrup, has
> increased at about the same rate as diabetes. This has caused the epidemics of obesity, heart
> disease, diabetes and mental illness/depression.

Consumption of empty calories can do that. If you subsist on "low-carb" burgers at Wendy's you'll
have serious health problems too.

> Grains are not well tolerated by many people.

Many people don't tolerate dairy products, either.

> Some react worse than others. In the end, it is not a historically or evolutionary natural source
> of nutrition for humans and will cause some degree of problems, one way or another, for humans in
> general.

So which is it, all grain-based products are evil or only those that are refined? Get your
disinformation straight.

--Jeff

--
A man, a plan, a cat, a canal - Panama!

Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has; That's how we pass the day away, in the merry
old land of Oz.

Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> tcomeau wrote:
> > Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>It's a genetic disease. If you don't have the gene, it's not a concern. Do you avoid any food
> >>that someone else might be allergic to?
> >
> > I'm told that obesity is a *genetic* condition.
>
> You should stop listening to charlatans, that is your problem.
>
> > Mental illness is a *genetic* condition. Heart disease is a *genetic* disease. Diabetes is a
> > *genetic* disease. But somehow these *genetic* diseases seem to increase in incidence, some of
> > these *genetic* diseases have doubled or tripled in the last 30 years. Somehow the *genetic*
> > diseases are spreading wider and farther. Families that never had these problems in the past are
> > now having them. How is this possible? Are we genetically mutating? That is the fasted spread of
> > *genetic* disease ever encountered in human history.
> >
> > But it is related to genes. We evolved without refined carbs and large amounts of grains in the
> > diet. Our bodies are not genetically programmed to to be able to handle a diet high in refined
> > carbs and grains. Consumption of refined carbs, for instance high-fructose corn syrup, has
> > increased at about the same rate as diabetes. This has caused the epidemics of obesity, heart
> > disease, diabetes and mental illness/depression.
>
> Consumption of empty calories can do that. If you subsist on "low-carb" burgers at Wendy's you'll
> have serious health problems too.
>
> > Grains are not well tolerated by many people.
>
> Many people don't tolerate dairy products, either.
>
> > Some react worse than others. In the end, it is not a historically or evolutionary natural
> > source of nutrition for humans and will cause some degree of problems, one way or another, for
> > humans in general.
>
> So which is it, all grain-based products are evil or only those that are refined? Get your
> disinformation straight.
>
> --Jeff

Grains in general are a very recent addition to our diets, evolutionarily speaking. Agriculture
is about 10,000 years ago. We have been evolving for millions of years without minimal amounts
of grains.

Humans, generally speaking, do not tolerate grains well. And when you refine them, you are really
playing with fire.

Whole grains may be tolerated by some, but refined grains do us all damage.

TC

tcomeau wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:
>>tcomeau wrote:

>>>I'm told that obesity is a *genetic* condition.
>>
>>You should stop listening to charlatans, that is your problem.
>>
>>>Mental illness is a *genetic* condition. Heart disease is a *genetic* disease. Diabetes is a
>>>*genetic* disease. But somehow these *genetic* diseases seem to increase in incidence, some of
>>>these *genetic* diseases have doubled or tripled in the last 30 years. Somehow the *genetic*
>>>diseases are spreading wider and farther. Families that never had these problems in the past are
>>>now having them. How is this possible? Are we genetically mutating? That is the fasted spread of
>>>*genetic* disease ever encountered in human history.
>>>
>>>But it is related to genes. We evolved without refined carbs and large amounts of grains in the
>>>diet. Our bodies are not genetically programmed to to be able to handle a diet high in refined
>>>carbs and grains. Consumption of refined carbs, for instance high-fructose corn syrup, has
>>>increased at about the same rate as diabetes. This has caused the epidemics of obesity, heart
>>>disease, diabetes and mental illness/depression.
>>
>>Consumption of empty calories can do that. If you subsist on "low-carb" burgers at Wendy's you'll
>>have serious health problems too.
>>
>>>Grains are not well tolerated by many people.
>>
>>Many people don't tolerate dairy products, either.
>>
>>>Some react worse than others. In the end, it is not a historically or evolutionary natural source
>>>of nutrition for humans and will cause some degree of problems, one way or another, for humans in
>>>general.
>>
>>So which is it, all grain-based products are evil or only those that are refined? Get your
>>disinformation straight.
>
> Grains in general are a very recent addition to our diets, evolutionarily speaking. Agriculture
> is about 10,000 years ago. We have been evolving for millions of years without minimal amounts
> of grains.

I doubt grains entered the human diet with agriculture - agriculture just ensured a steady supply of
something that humans were already eating. And those grains were so hazardous to humans that they
lead to the creation of civilization.

> Humans, generally speaking, do not tolerate grains well. And when you refine them, you are really
> playing with fire.

Oh my, yes, the number of deaths each year attributed to Wonder Bread is just mind boggling.

> Whole grains may be tolerated by some, but refined grains do us all damage.

Refined grains may not be the most healthful, nutritious food you can find but I hardly think they
are as hazardous as all that.

--Jeff

--

Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote in message <snip>

> > Grains in general are a very recent addition to our diets, evolutionarily speaking. Agriculture
> > is about 10,000 years ago. We have been evolving for millions of years without minimal amounts
> > of grains.

oops, correction - "with" minimal amounts of grains.

> I doubt grains entered the human diet with agriculture - agriculture just ensured a steady supply
> of something that humans were already eating. And those grains were so hazardous to humans that
> they lead to the creation of civilization.

Agriculture ensured a greater and steadier supply. It also lead to selective breeding so that todays
grains are much larger and there are more grains per plant than prior to agriculture.

Agriculture gave us some advantages and created some dis-advantages. No-one is arguing against or
denying the advantages. You are arguing against and/or denying the dis-advantages.

> > Humans, generally speaking, do not tolerate grains well. And when you refine them, you are
> > really playing with fire.
>
> Oh my, yes, the number of deaths each year attributed to Wonder Bread is just mind boggling.

Look at Crohn's disease and the number of people whose lives are affected and shortened by this and
similar conditions and then come back and make another wise-ass crack about "deaths from wonder-
bread. That is one asshole comment if I've ever heard one. I personally know several people who are
suffering daily from this condition. One is facing the possibility of serious surgery and one of the
staples in her diet is pasta, cupboards full of the ****.

> > Whole grains may be tolerated by some, but refined grains do us all damage.
>
> Refined grains may not be the most healthful, nutritious food you can find but I hardly think they
> are as hazardous as all that.
>
> --Jeff

Refined grains products include white flour, cereals made from grains starches and high-fructose
corn syrup that is in every soda , sports drink and sweetened fruit juice that is consumed. Refined
grains products may well be *the* main culprit in todays huge rise in obesity and obesity related
conditions. Not to mention Crohn's disease and other gastric disorders.

I consider that **** hazardous to human health.

TC

"Jeffrey Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tcomeau wrote:
> > Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>You should stop listening to charlatans, that is your problem.

> >>Consumption of empty calories can do that. If you subsist on "low-carb" burgers at Wendy's
> >>you'll have serious health problems too.

> >>Many people don't tolerate dairy products, either.

> >>So which is it, all grain-based products are evil or only those that are refined? Get your
> >>disinformation straight.
> >
> > Grains in general are a very recent addition to our diets, evolutionarily speaking. Agriculture
> > is about 10,000 years ago. We have been evolving for millions of years without minimal amounts
> > of grains.
>
> I doubt grains entered the human diet with agriculture - agriculture just ensured a steady supply
> of something that humans were already eating. And those grains were so hazardous to humans that
> they lead to the creation of civilization.

They came with a price. Celiac disease, osteoporosis as the result of celiac disease, dental decay,
and possibly schizophrenia. And they came with a reward, beer:) As the the ancient pagan priests of
Ur would say "a drunk peasant is one that less apt to revolt against his god-king." ;-)

> > Humans, generally speaking, do not tolerate grains well. And when you refine them, you are
> > really playing with fire.
>
> Oh my, yes, the number of deaths each year attributed to Wonder Bread is just mind boggling.
>
> > Whole grains may be tolerated by some, but refined grains do us all damage.
>
> Refined grains may not be the most healthful, nutritious food you can find but I hardly think they
> are as hazardous as all that.

If your are the "lucky" one in about 140 then you are screwed. And it doesn't matter whether the
grain is refined or unrefined if you are among the unlucky.