One grease for all points?

Eidetic

Dec 19, 2003
Does a single grease work OK for BB, hubs, and headset?
Do syn greases have any advantages over petro greases?
I would be particularly interested in Boudreaux' and daveornee's opinions.

Originally posted by Eidetic
Yes. I have used both kinds.No issures.

Originally posted by Eidetic

I have used both for all those applications.
I think the greases with Teflon, like Finsh Line, spin a little more freely. However, it is very hard to detect the difference when riding. I also like Phil Wood grease because it is sticky. The sticky part is nice for holding in loose bearings when working on a unit. I also think hte stickyness helps it stay in place.
I have never done any testing to see what holds up best to "wash out", but that is an important factor even with seals and labyrinths.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but you might check with professionals who maintain bicycles like Andrew Muzi and Sheldon Brown.

Boudreaux and daveornee, thanks. Wash-out and spin are my main concerns. I think all the leading brands lubricate OK as long as they aren't contaminated, but contamination is a fact of life, esp. BB drain holes that "works both ways". With time, the ends of the inner shell of DA BB deteriorates. If I could buy the end seals and inner shells separately, I would use new shells and end seals each time I do my BB. Do you ever pack the annular volume between the BB axle and the inner shell with grease?

If Sheldon "Velo-encylopaedic" Brown or Andrew, or anyone else, has input, the more the better.

I've often wondered why some marketeer didn't bring out, "The BB Grease", "The Hub Grease", and "The Headset Grease" as different formulations, since the environments are different, e.g, load, rpm, water and dirt infiltration. I'd like a grease that changed color if water had infiltrated.