One hand set up?

What made you decide against
> it?

Cost, wierdness, parking, non-standard parts, sweaty back, too low in traffic, can't take one
on a train.

Other than that I love em.

D.

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Just a front brake may be enough to suffice, or rear could be deliberately made less powerful
> somehow so wouldn't hinder too much in ermergencies.

If it can take a canti you could wangle a different mechanical advantage with a suitable mod to the
straddle cable?

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:09:33 +0100, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> What made you decide against it?
>
> Cost,

true

> wierdness,

that'a a benefit

> parking,

that's easier - no need of post pole or other item to lean it against

> non-standard parts,

not sure how non-standard windcheetah is, but trice use mostly standard parts

> sweaty back,

again, not sure about windcheetah, but my trice is not much different to an upright in this respect,
it does have a mesh seat, however

> too low in traffic,

simply not true - it's evidently (on the basis of the frequency of having to take evasive action to
avoid ******* moron pillocks) much more visible in traffic

> can't take one on a train.

haven't tried with the trice, but why not? it falls within the allowable luggage dimensions, and
it's clearly not a bicycle, so won't be covered by teh specific rules that deal with them...

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

[one-handed cycling]

You'd have though that a group of Usenet users would be experts in one-handed stuff, wouldn't you?
But anyway...

There's a guy in the local CTC who has a nonstandard right forearm and hand, and I think he has an
extension thingy built up on that side so he can operate the brake with his forearm. I can't
visualise it right now so I'll try to have a look next time I'm out with him and suss how it works.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:57:25 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>> too low in traffic,
>
> simply not true - it's evidently (on the basis of the frequency of having to take evasive action
> to avoid ******* moron pillocks) much more visible in traffic

You do seem to get a lot more room. However, motorists still don't see you until they are almost on
top of you.

When I am on the windcheetah I typically get "hooted" by oncoming traffic once or twice per day.
However, they rarely hoot until they are about 20 feet away (half of that being the width of the
road) and one, today, didn't manage to hoot until we had actually passed each other and he was
behind me. (I don't find this hooting amusing or enjoyable. They are typically so close and
positioned such that my first reaction is that it is a car behind that I haven't heard approaching
which is now about to plow into me rather than wait for the oncoming car to pass)

Clearly emphasises the point that most drivers don't seem able to see much beyond the end of
their bonnet.

>> can't take one on a train.
>
> haven't tried with the trice, but why not? it falls within the allowable luggage dimensions, and
> it's clearly not a bicycle, so won't be covered by teh specific rules that deal with them...

Most, if not all, of the local services here (North London/Herts) prohibit trikes. (Fortunately I
found this out after I had taken it on the train - and the Euston staff had let me through the
barrier onto the platform - although they were the same people who had said it was OK after 7pm
which is actually the bicycle rule)

The metropolitan line has an interesting "rule" viz. "I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed but at
the end of the day it is up to the platform staff." Bicycles are allowed at certain times.

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> When I am on the windcheetah I typically get "hooted" by oncoming traffic once or twice per day.
> However, they rarely hoot until they are about 20 feet away (half of that being the width of the
> road) and one, today, didn't manage to hoot until we had actually passed each other and he was
> behind me. (I don't find this hooting amusing or enjoyable. They are typically so close and
> positioned such that my first reaction is that it is a car behind that I haven't heard approaching
> which is now about to plow into me rather than wait for the oncoming car to pass)

I'm intrigued by this hooting behaviour. Presumably you're not on the wrong side of the road or
anything, so they hoot just because you're riding an unconventional velocipede. Do you think this is
outrage because you shouldn't be on the road, or just panic? Do other 'bent riders get this too?

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:

> I'm intrigued by this hooting behaviour. Presumably you're not on the wrong side of the road or
> anything, so they hoot just because you're riding an unconventional velocipede.

AFAICT

> Do you think this is outrage because you shouldn't be on the road, or just panic?

I think it's basically the same as shouting "cool bike!", "ha ha ha ha ha, look at that plonker!"
etc. from the pavement. In either case the rider is meant to hear the exclamation of admiration or
derision (more often the former, but by no means always) but that wouldn't work in a car, so they
toot the horn.

> Do other 'bent riders get this too?

Regularly. It's usually a "**** ****" rather than "BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" so I take
it as friendly, and sufficiently common that I'm not surprised at all by it anymore.

Unlike Tim I usually get it just after folk overtake me rather than oncoming traffic.

Only obvious "get off the road you moron" type I've had was when I had the damn gall to take up an
entire lane of dual carriageway by riding right down the lane centre. Only one chap couldn't figure
out that the fast lane was an open and easy way round and he just sat behind a few feet and blew his
horn, but I think he might have done that had I been on an upright. My reaction was to move over...
slightly further to the right.

Peter Clinch wrote:

> I think it's basically the same as shouting "cool bike!",

My Brommie attracted that comment from a young girl on Newcastle station today. I think she
meant it too.

Yesterday I had three ****** lads watching me fold and unfold it on demand. One of them stopped me
as I was pushing it along the pavement slurring something like, "Tha's one o'them foldy things
innit?" He then called his mates out from the bakers with, "Hey, i's one o'them foldy things." He
then asked how many times it folded so I showed them. They thought it was "cool" and went back to
buying their pasties.

Colin

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Only obvious "get off the road you moron" type I've had was when I had the damn gall to take up an
> entire lane of dual carriageway by riding right down the lane centre. Only one chap couldn't
> figure out that the fast lane was an open and easy way round and he just sat behind a few feet and
> blew his horn, but I think he might have done that had I been on an upright. My reaction was to
> move over... slightly further to the right.

I am in the bus lane, doing about 20 mph. The right lane is full of stationary tin boxes. However,
Captain Plonker in his bus (Dan's Luxury Travel) wishes to go faster. No matter that he is
overtaking all the tin boxes anyway, in quarter of a mile he will have to rejoin the main
carriageway coz the bus lane ends and that there isn't room for him to pass anyway.

Him: HONK!
Me: No reaction Him: HOOONK!
Mf: Change down a gear, slow down a touch Him: HONK HONK!
Mg: Change down another gear, and slow down a tad more

(Repeat from above with variations)

Finally:

Me (at a standstill): Look, I can hear you. I can see you. I can even f*****g smell you. Now where
the f*** do you expect me to go? Him: says nothing, just evinces a sudden and powerful interest in
the ducks often found here: http://tinyurl.com/dj6r#

I unheart bus drivers, me.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> My Brommie attracted that comment from a young girl on Newcastle station today. I think she
> meant it too.

On the Brom I usually find that if you're riding then you're a laughing stock, but once The Fold is
demonstrated you suddenly become a king of cool, surrounded by the debris from minds being blown. I
don't think I've had anyone laugh at it when it's [un]folding or folded, though a fair few folk
lose a degree of interest in getting their own when they find out the price (my neighbour bought
one last year, having seen mine (don't think he had a bike before), and he thinks it's easily paid
for itself since).

On 5 Jun 2003 02:56:43 -0700, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm intrigued by this hooting behaviour. Presumably you're not on the wrong side of the road or
> anything, so they hoot just because you're riding an unconventional velocipede. Do you think
> this is outrage because you shouldn't be on the road, or just panic? Do other 'bent riders get
> this too?

Yes I get hooted, but normally just before/after they overtake me.

Since most verbal commenst are either positive or neutral surprise I assume most of the hooting is
too. Still a bloody annoyance, though.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:58:11 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2003 02:56:43 -0700, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'm intrigued by this hooting behaviour. Presumably you're not on the wrong side of the road or
>> anything, so they hoot just because you're riding an unconventional velocipede. Do you think
>> this is outrage because you shouldn't be on the road, or just panic? Do other 'bent riders get
>> this too?
>
> Yes I get hooted, but normally just before/after they overtake me.
>
> Since most verbal commenst are either positive or neutral surprise I assume most of the hooting is
> too. Still a bloody annoyance, though.

I almost never get hooted by people who overtake. It's hard to remember the non threatening cases
but I'm pretty sure that the last two people to hoot when overtaking were hooting because there was
oncoming traffic and they wanted to get back in where I was. (Well, I was only doing 27mph in a
30mph limit for the last one.) Fortunately this is much rarer than the equivalent when on a bicycle
(where they have forgotten that you exist at all by the time their bonnet draws level with your
front wheel)

Regards,

Tim.

[email protected] schreef ...
> Due to an accident I can't use my right hand. I've been riding fixed for a while but now want to
> built up a geared road bike.
>
> My plan is to use Profile Airwing bars with one bar end shifter and one Campag Ergo lever with
> both brakes operated by the same lever.
>
> Problem is that the left hand lever operates the front mech. It would be much more convenient for
> me if it worked the rear.
>
> Alternatively, I could fit tri bars and use two bar end shifters or something like those old
> GripShift things designed for road bikes.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

As for the brakes: consider Magura HS-33s (you'll need canti mounts of course). It's really easy to
mount *both* brake lines on one brake lever
- each lever has two mounting holes for them while normally only one is being used. This works with
the "normal" lever, AFAIK not with the racing model (HS-66). Setup is easy, works perfectly.

--
Regards, Marten

Marten Hoffmann wrote:
> As for the brakes: consider Magura HS-33s (you'll need canti mounts of course). It's really easy
> to mount *both* brake lines on one brake lever
> - each lever has two mounting holes for them while normally only one is being used. This works
> with the "normal" lever, AFAIK not with the racing model (HS-66). Setup is easy, works
> perfectly.

It's a bad idea to operate both brakes from one lever. Rear wheel skidding and fishtailing is
dangerous when emergency braking.

~PB

[posted to uk.rec.cycling and emailed]

Dave wrote:
> Due to an accident I can't use my right hand. I've been riding fixed for a while but now want to
> built up a geared road bike.
>
> My plan is to use Profile Airwing bars with one bar end shifter and one Campag Ergo lever with
> both brakes operated by the same lever.
>
> Problem is that the left hand lever operates the front mech. It would be much more convenient for
> me if it worked the rear.

Good news! Well, quite promising news at least...........

I've done the initial experiment and crossed-over my Ergo cables - tested at home (but not ridden
yet). It works better than I expected. This is with Chorus 9sp '01 levers, '01 Racing T 9sp rear
mech, and 9sp Campag cassette. (I think the ratchet disc is the same in ALL left Ergos but that fact
should be checked).

With the standard cable routing, the result was definitely too poor - mech did not move enough per
click of the lever. Much better with cable anchored to "wrong" side of bolt so mech moves more. Now
at the moment, all 9 sprockets can be selected although some shifts are slow and there is a lot of
chain-rub noise. But it is near enough to make me believe that something good could probably be
worked out with further experimentation.

I would next try a 10sp cassette, then 9sp (or 10sp) cassette with customised spacing, with 10sp and
9sp mechs (pre and post 2001) and perhaps even a Shimano mech (if could help). Marchisio make high
quality lightweight individual sprockets (which fit both Campag and Shimano hubs with adaptors) and
various spacers which should be handy. A 10sp chain might minimise noise.

note. Left Ergo will never work quite like a right-hand one because it doesn't have so much of the
overshift feature (r-h downshift lever momentarily overshifts to speed shifting then returns back -
useful for the high gears), but this is not strictly necessary (and can even be annoying!).

I'll try riding the bike later today/tomorow and report back if there's anything more to add. I'm
sorry that I can't continue the experiment further because I don't have the componentry.

By the way, right-hand Ergo is just about ok for crude front-shfting (the "clicks" are
rather large).

cheers ~PB

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 17:42:42 +0100, Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>> one Campag Ergo lever with both brakes operated by the same lever.
>
> I think just having a front brake in this case would provide more control and safety (even though
> it would be illegal).

If you want to be legal, just fit a rear brake. AFAICT the fact that a particular cyclist can't
physically use the brake doesn't make the bike illegal otherwise we are (almost [1]) all riding
illegal bikes

[1] Windcheetah excepted although I have my doubts whether the rear brake could actually stop the
bike from any sort of speed without bursting the rear tyre first.

Regards,

Tim.

Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
> It's a bad idea to operate both brakes from one lever. Rear wheel skidding and fishtailing is
> dangerous when emergency braking.

The OP indicated that they could only use one hand. If the brakes are correctly balanced they will
be perfectly safe.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

Sandy Morton wrote:

>> It's a bad idea to operate both brakes from one lever. Rear wheel skidding and fishtailing is
>> dangerous when emergency braking.
>

> The OP indicated that they could only use one hand.

I know that.

> If the brakes are correctly balanced they will be perfectly safe.

Not true. Won't be safe in an emergency stop or under hard braking when the rear could easily lock
up (especially on a road bike), no matter how the brakes are "balanced". When braking hard, all or
nearly all weight is transfered to the front.

~PB