one man tent - which one??

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mark Taylor, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Mark Taylor

    Mark Taylor Guest

    I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    and wanting to stay under the £100 mark

    Any Suggestions??

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mark Taylor wrote:
    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark

    Argos' Pro Action was highly lauded as being wondrous, but the original
    has been discontinued and "improved" and the verdict is out on the new
    one as yet. But don't read all about the fabulous Argos tents and go
    and buy one based on that, because what you'll get is not the one you've
    read about :-(

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. You cant go wrong with the Coleman Cobra.

    --
    Regards, Kenneth.
    www.kmiles.co.uk
    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >
    > Any Suggestions??

  4. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Mark Taylor wrote:
    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind
    > which brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >
    > Any Suggestions??

    I've just bought a Coleman Viper for around £40 from World of Camping,
    ordered online. It packs up very small and is reasonably light at a
    shade over 2Kg. It's nice and easy to pitch. The inner goes up before
    the fly which might be an issue if you have to put it up in the rain.
    You can put the fly and the inner up together but I think this is a bit
    of a faff.

    I've spent 3 nights in it so far - one near the house to test it and 2
    wild camping with the bike. I've stayed comfortable and dry despite
    camping out in January and February. Only had light drizzle to cope
    with up to now though. So far it seems to be a perfectly acceptable one
    man tent, and very good value for the price.

    On the test night I was rumbled by my cat Felix who hurled himself at
    the flysheet until I unzipped the flap and let him in. He spent most of
    the night curled up beside my sleeping bag.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 23/2/05 5:50 pm, in article
    [email protected], "dkahn400"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've just bought a Coleman Viper for around £40 from World of Camping,
    > ordered online. It packs up very small and is reasonably light at a
    > shade over 2Kg. It's nice and easy to pitch. The inner goes up before
    > the fly which might be an issue if you have to put it up in the rain.
    > You can put the fly and the inner up together but I think this is a bit
    > of a faff.

    Lighter than the Cobra. I used to trek about with a Cobra for a long time
    but it was bloody heavy, especially when it was wet. Having said all of
    that the Cobra is very strong and stable in bad weather and is quite roomy
    for 2 let alone 1. The porch is a bit small.

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

    To mail simply put back the dots ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

  6. Julie Meikle

    Julie Meikle Guest

    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >
    > Any Suggestions??

    Vango Micro 100? Very good in winds and reasonably roomy....good deals for
    about £85 ....or look at some of the other Vango models as there arenew ones
    out now too at a good price.

  7. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    I bought a Eurohike Backpacker 21OTS. I think I paid around £40 for it, and
    it weights 2.5 kgs, ideal for carrying it on a bike. It's supposed to be
    for 2 people, but I don't think that 2 people can fit in there. Only
    downside is that it doesn't have much of a porch.

    --
    Vivian
    -------

    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >
    > Any Suggestions??

  8. Daytona

    Daytona Guest

    "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote :

    >Mark Taylor wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind
    >> which brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >>
    >> Any Suggestions??

    >I've just bought a Coleman Viper for around £40 from World of Camping,

    That's what I got. A bargain imo. Previous comments here -
    <URL:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=Coleman+Viper&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Duk.rec.walking>

    >On the test night I was rumbled by my cat Felix who hurled himself at
    >the flysheet until I unzipped the flap and let him in. He spent most of
    >the night curled up beside my sleeping bag.

    lol! my cat normally watches me put the tent up, walks around it with that
    wonderfully disdainful air that cats do so well, then turns around and stalks
    back into the house. Sleeping outside is for inferior beings, y'see.....

    Daytona

  9. Julie Meikle wrote:
    > "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    >
    >>I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    >>and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >>
    >>Any Suggestions??
    >>

    > Vango Micro 100? Very good in winds and reasonably roomy....good deals for
    > about £85 ....or look at some of the other Vango models as there arenew ones
    > out now too at a good price.

    The TBS Micro 100 has been superceded by the more expensive (but
    lighter) TBS Microlite 100, accoding to the Vango website. You might be
    able to get the former cheaper now that it's old stock. IMHO it's a
    really nice tent - light, cheap, and plenty of space.

    Colin

  10. meisme

    meisme Guest

    Hi Mark

    Try asking on www.ukcampsite.co.uk . The members are a mine of information.

    HTH

    Christopher

    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >
    > Any Suggestions??

  11. Mark Taylor

    Mark Taylor Guest

    Thanks - I've checked it out and it looks good.Do Millets sell them?

    news:[email protected]

  12. Their online shop, www.outdoorgear.co.uk have them at £69.99.

    --
    Regards, Kenneth.
    www.kmiles.co.uk
    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Thanks - I've checked it out and it looks good.Do Millets sell them?
    >

    > "Kenneth Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> You cant go wrong with the Coleman Cobra.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Kenneth.
    >> www.kmiles.co.uk
    >> "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    >>> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which
    >>> brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >>>
    >>> Any Suggestions??

  13. Hywel Davies

    Hywel Davies Guest

    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >
    > Any Suggestions??

    You could also consider a goretex bivi-bag. The hooped variety (perhaps a
    bit more than a hundred) are pretty well as comfy as a tent, very light, and
    very very easy to put up. The only snag is there's no room for any stuff,
    which has to be left outside. I use mine a lot for one-night dosses. The
    basic bivis are lighter still, but obviously more claustraphopic - I'd
    rather carry the hoop !

    Otherwise some of the Argoses and the like do some amazing tents which are
    essentially slightly cheapened knock-offs of proper brands. A friend of mine
    got one for something ridiculous like £15 reduced from £30 - and it was
    pretty good.

    Hywel

    Cheers
    Hywel

  14. archierob

    archierob Guest

  15. tallbloke

    tallbloke Guest

    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    win.ntli.net:

    > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >
    > Any Suggestions??

    I just bagged a Sierra Designs ultra lightyear off canadian ebay new for £63
    with free shipping. This is the tent the Agos Pro Action 1 "Tiger Paws"
    design is ripped off from. But whereas the Argos tent weighs 4lb 8oz, the
    real Macoy weighs 3lb 1oz. It has a much thinner grounsheet obviously, so
    I'll be using a 2oz space blanket under it.

    The seller has put another up with a start price of $109 I noticed...

    Or you can buy my unused 2kg Coleman Viper for £32 + postage

    --
    tallbloke

  16. Mark Taylor

    Mark Taylor Guest

    The Cobra looks good! Does it have two doors and how's the storage space?

    By the spec it looks like about 55cms either side. Is this right?

    "Kenneth Miles" <k[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You cant go wrong with the Coleman Cobra.
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Kenneth.
    > www.kmiles.co.uk
    > "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    >> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    >> and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >>
    >> Any Suggestions??

  17. Yes, a door each side.
    Enough space to store two large cycle panniers at the front between the
    inner and outer tents.

    --
    Regards, Kenneth.
    www.kmiles.co.uk
    "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The Cobra looks good! Does it have two doors and how's the storage space?
    >
    > By the spec it looks like about 55cms either side. Is this right?
    >

    > "Kenneth Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> You cant go wrong with the Coleman Cobra.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Kenneth.
    >> www.kmiles.co.uk
    >> "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    >>> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which
    >>> brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    >>>
    >>> Any Suggestions??

  18. Boo

    Boo Guest

    > You could also consider a goretex bivi-bag. The hooped variety (perhaps a
    > bit more than a hundred) are pretty well as comfy as a tent,

    That's a hard man speaking ! :)

    > very light, and

    The current Terra Nova Jupiter hooped bivi is 960 grammes, about 200
    grammes lighter than their LaserLite tent. I know which will give you a
    more comfortable night on a flat pitch ;-) Of course there are other
    brands as well but some weigh up to 1300 grammes which is *more* than a
    LaserLite.

    > very very easy to put up. The only snag is there's no room for any stuff,
    > which has to be left outside. I use mine a lot for one-night dosses. The
    > basic bivis are lighter still, but obviously more claustraphopic - I'd
    > rather carry the hoop !

    Imho the only reason to carry a bivi now rather than an ultralight tent
    is if you had concerns that you might be benighted somewhere you
    couldn't pitch a tent like a boulderfield or something.

    --
    Boo

  19. [news]

    [news] Guest

    Hywel Davies wrote:
    > "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]
    > > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
    > > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
    > >
    > > Any Suggestions??
    > >

    > You could also consider a goretex bivi-bag. The hooped variety (perhaps a
    > bit more than a hundred) are pretty well as comfy as a tent, very light, and
    > very very easy to put up. The only snag is there's no room for any stuff,
    > which has to be left outside. I use mine a lot for one-night dosses. The
    > basic bivis are lighter still, but obviously more claustraphopic - I'd
    > rather carry the hoop !
    >
    > Otherwise some of the Argoses and the like do some amazing tents which are
    > essentially slightly cheapened knock-offs of proper brands. A friend of mine
    > got one for something ridiculous like £15 reduced from £30 - and it was
    > pretty good.

    I managed to get three of them there pro action tents for a fiver each
    from argos in a big sale late last year. excellent little tents.

    RT