one man tent - which one??

Mark Taylor

Guest
I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
and wanting to stay under the £100 mark

Any Suggestions??

Mark Taylor wrote:
> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
> and wanting to stay under the £100 mark

Argos' Pro Action was highly lauded as being wondrous, but the original
has been discontinued and "improved" and the verdict is out on the new
one as yet. But don't read all about the fabulous Argos tents and go
and buy one based on that, because what you'll get is not the one you've
read about :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Mark Taylor wrote:
> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind
> which brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>
> Any Suggestions??

I've just bought a Coleman Viper for around £40 from World of Camping,
ordered online. It packs up very small and is reasonably light at a
shade over 2Kg. It's nice and easy to pitch. The inner goes up before
the fly which might be an issue if you have to put it up in the rain.
You can put the fly and the inner up together but I think this is a bit
of a faff.

I've spent 3 nights in it so far - one near the house to test it and 2
wild camping with the bike. I've stayed comfortable and dry despite
camping out in January and February. Only had light drizzle to cope
with up to now though. So far it seems to be a perfectly acceptable one
man tent, and very good value for the price.

On the test night I was rumbled by my cat Felix who hurled himself at
the flysheet until I unzipped the flap and let him in. He spent most of
the night curled up beside my sleeping bag.

--
Dave...

On 23/2/05 5:50 pm, in article
[email protected], "dkahn400"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've just bought a Coleman Viper for around £40 from World of Camping,
> ordered online. It packs up very small and is reasonably light at a
> shade over 2Kg. It's nice and easy to pitch. The inner goes up before
> the fly which might be an issue if you have to put it up in the rain.
> You can put the fly and the inner up together but I think this is a bit
> of a faff.

Lighter than the Cobra. I used to trek about with a Cobra for a long time
but it was bloody heavy, especially when it was wet. Having said all of
that the Cobra is very strong and stable in bad weather and is quite roomy
for 2 let alone 1. The porch is a bit small.

--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

To mail simply put back the dots ...
http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

"Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
> and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>
> Any Suggestions??

Vango Micro 100? Very good in winds and reasonably roomy....good deals for
about £85 ....or look at some of the other Vango models as there arenew ones
out now too at a good price.

I bought a Eurohike Backpacker 21OTS. I think I paid around £40 for it, and
it weights 2.5 kgs, ideal for carrying it on a bike. It's supposed to be
for 2 people, but I don't think that 2 people can fit in there. Only
downside is that it doesn't have much of a porch.

--
Vivian
-------

"Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
> and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>
> Any Suggestions??

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote :

>Mark Taylor wrote:
>> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind
>> which brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>>
>> Any Suggestions??

>I've just bought a Coleman Viper for around £40 from World of Camping,

That's what I got. A bargain imo. Previous comments here -
<URL:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=Coleman+Viper&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Duk.rec.walking>

>On the test night I was rumbled by my cat Felix who hurled himself at
>the flysheet until I unzipped the flap and let him in. He spent most of
>the night curled up beside my sleeping bag.

lol! my cat normally watches me put the tent up, walks around it with that
wonderfully disdainful air that cats do so well, then turns around and stalks
back into the house. Sleeping outside is for inferior beings, y'see.....

Daytona

Julie Meikle wrote:
> "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
>
>>I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
>>and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>>
>>Any Suggestions??
>>

> Vango Micro 100? Very good in winds and reasonably roomy....good deals for
> about £85 ....or look at some of the other Vango models as there arenew ones
> out now too at a good price.

The TBS Micro 100 has been superceded by the more expensive (but
lighter) TBS Microlite 100, accoding to the Vango website. You might be
able to get the former cheaper now that it's old stock. IMHO it's a
really nice tent - light, cheap, and plenty of space.

Colin

Thanks - I've checked it out and it looks good.Do Millets sell them?

news:[email protected]...

Their online shop, www.outdoorgear.co.uk have them at £69.99.

--
Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk
"Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Thanks - I've checked it out and it looks good.Do Millets sell them?
>

> "Kenneth Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You cant go wrong with the Coleman Cobra.
>>
>> --
>> Regards, Kenneth.
>> www.kmiles.co.uk
>> "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
>>> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which
>>> brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>>>
>>> Any Suggestions??

"Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
> and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>
> Any Suggestions??

You could also consider a goretex bivi-bag. The hooped variety (perhaps a
bit more than a hundred) are pretty well as comfy as a tent, very light, and
very very easy to put up. The only snag is there's no room for any stuff,
which has to be left outside. I use mine a lot for one-night dosses. The
basic bivis are lighter still, but obviously more claustraphopic - I'd
rather carry the hoop !

Otherwise some of the Argoses and the like do some amazing tents which are
essentially slightly cheapened knock-offs of proper brands. A friend of mine
got one for something ridiculous like £15 reduced from £30 - and it was
pretty good.

Hywel

Cheers
Hywel

"Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in news:5N1Td.7$%l6.3@newsfe5-
win.ntli.net:

> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
> and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>
> Any Suggestions??

I just bagged a Sierra Designs ultra lightyear off canadian ebay new for £63
with free shipping. This is the tent the Agos Pro Action 1 "Tiger Paws"
design is ripped off from. But whereas the Argos tent weighs 4lb 8oz, the
real Macoy weighs 3lb 1oz. It has a much thinner grounsheet obviously, so
I'll be using a 2oz space blanket under it.

The seller has put another up with a start price of $109 I noticed...

Or you can buy my unused 2kg Coleman Viper for £32 + postage

--
tallbloke

The Cobra looks good! Does it have two doors and how's the storage space?

By the spec it looks like about 55cms either side. Is this right?

"Kenneth Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You cant go wrong with the Coleman Cobra.
>
> --
> Regards, Kenneth.
> www.kmiles.co.uk
> "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
>> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
>> and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>>
>> Any Suggestions??

Yes, a door each side.
Enough space to store two large cycle panniers at the front between the
inner and outer tents.

--
Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk
"Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Cobra looks good! Does it have two doors and how's the storage space?
>
> By the spec it looks like about 55cms either side. Is this right?
>

> "Kenneth Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You cant go wrong with the Coleman Cobra.
>>
>> --
>> Regards, Kenneth.
>> www.kmiles.co.uk
>> "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
>>> I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which
>>> brand and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
>>>
>>> Any Suggestions??
>>>

> You could also consider a goretex bivi-bag. The hooped variety (perhaps a
> bit more than a hundred) are pretty well as comfy as a tent,

That's a hard man speaking ! :)

> very light, and

The current Terra Nova Jupiter hooped bivi is 960 grammes, about 200
grammes lighter than their LaserLite tent. I know which will give you a
more comfortable night on a flat pitch ;-) Of course there are other
brands as well but some weigh up to 1300 grammes which is *more* than a
LaserLite.

> very very easy to put up. The only snag is there's no room for any stuff,
> which has to be left outside. I use mine a lot for one-night dosses. The
> basic bivis are lighter still, but obviously more claustraphopic - I'd
> rather carry the hoop !

Imho the only reason to carry a bivi now rather than an ultralight tent
is if you had concerns that you might be benighted somewhere you
couldn't pitch a tent like a boulderfield or something.

--
Boo

Hywel Davies wrote:
> "Mark Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:5N1Td.7$%[email protected]...
> > I'm looking for a good quality cheap one man tent. Don't mind which brand
> > and wanting to stay under the £100 mark
> >
> > Any Suggestions??
> >

> You could also consider a goretex bivi-bag. The hooped variety (perhaps a
> bit more than a hundred) are pretty well as comfy as a tent, very light, and
> very very easy to put up. The only snag is there's no room for any stuff,
> which has to be left outside. I use mine a lot for one-night dosses. The
> basic bivis are lighter still, but obviously more claustraphopic - I'd
> rather carry the hoop !
>
> Otherwise some of the Argoses and the like do some amazing tents which are
> essentially slightly cheapened knock-offs of proper brands. A friend of mine
> got one for something ridiculous like £15 reduced from £30 - and it was
> pretty good.

I managed to get three of them there pro action tents for a fiver each
from argos in a big sale late last year. excellent little tents.

RT