One month to heal from getting hit

Gooserider

Guest
Friday will be one month since I got hit by a truck on my commute. I was
really lucky not to suffer serious injury. Nothing broken, no serious cuts,
not even road rash. I did develop a hard hematoma at the top of my tibialis
anterior which is requiring some torture from PT, but that's the worst of
it. Biggest pain has been spending a month away from my commute. I was off
the bike totally for a week(Vicodin and bikes not good combination, but
Vicodin and Guinness surprisingly effective) and have been gradually working
back.
The first time I rode post-hit, I took my town bike for a short(5 mile)
spin. It has Look MTB pedals----big big mistake. Being locked in, even with
the pedal set at the weakest retention, hurt my calf and knee. So I retired
that one and rode my slick tired MTB with BMX pedals. That was OK but
putting the left foot down hurt. Now I can ride with pretty much no pain,
sprinting, climbing, unclipping. There's still some soreness but that's from
the hematoma, and the sports medicine doc thinks PT will get rid of the
hematoma.
My bike shop is pretty busy and understaffed, so it took them until
last week to get the bike broken down and frame sent back to Gunnar for
inspection. It's going to need a new frame but Richard Schwinn wanted to see
it so off it went. Now the waiting game starts---another 6 wks at best
before I get the new frame. This will be expensive for the insurance
company, as the frame, crankset, wheels, tires, light, taillights, rack,
panniers, handlebar, bar tape, cassette, and brake levers all need to be
replaced. That plus disassembly, shipping, and reassembly AND the helmet,
jersey, gloves, and bibs I lost should push the total cost over 4 grand.
OUCH for them but I'm being honest.
In closing, I will be back on the commute as soon as I can. I'll take
the same route, but I'll take more of the lane next time. 18 inches wasn't
enough for that section, I guess. I am now going to wear my helmet any time
I ride. I don't want to start a helmet war, but seeing the crack in the back
of my helmet where the mirror hit me scared the **** out of me. My head
would have taken some sort of impact. OUCH. I also like the Flash
Flag---http://www.flashback.ca/products/accessories.html

as that looks like it would get more space from motorists. It would be
better if the flag stuck out farther, but that seems like an easy fix.

On May 3, 2:40 am, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Friday will be one month since I got hit by a truck on my commute. I was
> really lucky not to suffer serious injury. Nothing broken, no serious cuts,
> not even road rash. I did develop a hard hematoma at the top of my tibialis
> anterior which is requiring some torture from PT, but that's the worst of
> it. Biggest pain has been spending a month away from my commute. I was off
> the bike totally for a week(Vicodin and bikes not good combination, but
> Vicodin and Guinness surprisingly effective) and have been gradually working
> back.
> The first time I rode post-hit, I took my town bike for a short(5 mile)
> spin. It has Look MTB pedals----big big mistake. Being locked in, even with
> the pedal set at the weakest retention, hurt my calf and knee. So I retired
> that one and rode my slick tired MTB with BMX pedals. That was OK but
> putting the left foot down hurt. Now I can ride with pretty much no pain,
> sprinting, climbing, unclipping. There's still some soreness but that's from
> the hematoma, and the sports medicine doc thinks PT will get rid of the
> hematoma.
> My bike shop is pretty busy and understaffed, so it took them until
> last week to get the bike broken down and frame sent back to Gunnar for
> inspection. It's going to need a new frame but Richard Schwinn wanted to see
> it so off it went. Now the waiting game starts---another 6 wks at best
> before I get the new frame. This will be expensive for the insurance
> company, as the frame, crankset, wheels, tires, light, taillights, rack,
> panniers, handlebar, bar tape, cassette, and brake levers all need to be
> replaced. That plus disassembly, shipping, and reassembly AND the helmet,
> jersey, gloves, and bibs I lost should push the total cost over 4 grand.
> OUCH for them but I'm being honest.
> In closing, I will be back on the commute as soon as I can. I'll take
> the same route, but I'll take more of the lane next time. 18 inches wasn't
> enough for that section, I guess. I am now going to wear my helmet any time
> I ride. I don't want to start a helmet war, but seeing the crack in the back
> of my helmet where the mirror hit me scared the **** out of me. My head
> would have taken some sort of impact. OUCH. I also like the Flash
> Flag---http://www.flashback.ca/products/accessories.html
>
> as that looks like it would get more space from motorists. It would be
> better if the flag stuck out farther, but that seems like an easy fix.

Ouch! Well it's good that you are able to get back on the road.
I'm also curious as to what type of insurance covers a bike,
homeowners?

"Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
>> take
>> the same route, but I'll take more of the lane next time. 18 inches
>> wasn't
>> enough for that section, I guess. I am now going to wear my helmet any
>> time
>> I ride. I don't want to start a helmet war, but seeing the crack in the
>> back
>> of my helmet where the mirror hit me scared the **** out of me. My head
>> would have taken some sort of impact. OUCH. I also like the Flash
>> Flag---http://www.flashback.ca/products/accessories.html
>>
>> as that looks like it would get more space from motorists. It would be
>> better if the flag stuck out farther, but that seems like an easy fix.

> Ouch! Well it's good that you are able to get back on the road.
> I'm also curious as to what type of insurance covers a bike,

Nope. The driver's insurance company. He was at fault, so they're paying. So
far they've paid for my pain and suffering(nice check), the costs my health
insurance didn't pay, and are going to pay for the new bike stuff.

"Gooserider" wrote: Nope. The driver's insurance company. He was at fault,
so they're paying. So
> far they've paid for my pain and suffering(nice check), the costs my
> health insurance didn't pay, and are going to pay for the new bike stuff.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's an enlightened insurance company. A friend of mine (car accident)
got the run-around from the insurance company. Hired an attorney, and wound
up with way more money than he would have settled for initially. And the
lawyer made his contingency fee as well.

Gooserider wrote:

> Friday will be one month since I got hit by a truck on my commute.

{snip}

Glad you're on the mend and the bike(s)! Bill S.

In article <[email protected]>, Gooserider@mouse-
potato.com says...

> Nope. The driver's insurance company. He was at fault, so they're paying. So
> far they've paid for my pain and suffering(nice check), the costs my health
> insurance didn't pay, and are going to pay for the new bike stuff.

I would have thought they would be liable for all the medical costs.
Your health insurance my rubber stamp your claim, but that doesn't mean
that they should be the ones paying, and the auto insurance probably
isn't going to volunteer to pay.

On Wed, 2 May 2007 21:40:25 -0400, "Gooserider"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>This will be expensive for the insurance
>company, as the frame, crankset, wheels, tires, light, taillights, rack,
>panniers, handlebar, bar tape, cassette, and brake levers all need to be
>replaced.

Just out of curiosity, what is else left? No mention of a water
bottle. I think that you're letting them off too easily.

Gooserider wrote:

> Friday will be one month since I got hit by a truck on my commute. I was
> really lucky not to suffer serious injury.

Sounds like a bunch of good luck - glad you weren't hurt more. This
Friday will be three weeks since I took a fall on a metal grid decked
bridge. Thank goodness the car behind me stopped before running me over.
This was, if anything, my fault for riding on this roadway, although
it's probably the hundredth time I had done so - no metal grates in my
future riding. I'll take the same route and walk this stretch.

> I was off
> the bike totally for a week(Vicodin and bikes not good combination, but
> Vicodin and Guinness surprisingly effective) and have been gradually working
> back.

I was given Percodan in the ER right after my fall while they cleaned
and stitched my forearm wound and took xrays. Nice! I did have a nurse
suggest that one alternative to Vicodin when I got home was ibuprofen
and my favorite night cap. I chose her advise over Vicodin. (I am not a
doctor and that was not advice)

> In closing, I will be back on the commute as soon as I can. I'll take
> the same route, but I'll take more of the lane next time. 18 inches wasn't
> enough for that section, I guess.

I hope to be commuting next week - three weeks off for me. I agree about
18 inches not being enough. I always ride the center of the lane on my
City commute. A) Don't want someone to pass me close (they still do
sometimes) and B) I don't want to get doored.

See you on the road soon!

Robert

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 2 May 2007 21:40:25 -0400, "Gooserider"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>This will be expensive for the insurance
>>company, as the frame, crankset, wheels, tires, light, taillights, rack,
>>panniers, handlebar, bar tape, cassette, and brake levers all need to be
>>replaced.

> Just out of curiosity, what is else left? No mention of a water
> bottle. I think that you're letting them off too easily.

My stem, seatpost, and saddle are OK.