One more question-goal weight

Skiur

Guest
Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a silly question. When you set your target, do you go by your own goal or is the
chart weight assigned to you?

I'm not really confident that I can get to the chart assigned weight for my height. I've never been
that weight. I can't imagine it or picture myself that way.

Julie

WW has charts. The only break is that older folks (was it over 45?? or 50??) get to be slightly
higher. No difference for men or women. It is based on height.

BUT, actually, if you find that it really is impossible, you can get a note from your doctor
assigning you a higher weight. But don't rush that. The WW charts are probably generous for height
and have a wide range, like 20 pounds per height value. You might like the way you look and feel at
the WW limits. If really impossible, you can real goal higher.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:49:32 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>This is a bit of a silly question. When you set your target, do you go by your own goal or is the
>chart weight assigned to you?
>
>I'm not really confident that I can get to the chart assigned weight for my height. I've never been
>that weight. I can't imagine it or picture myself that way.
>
>Julie

Fred <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:

> WW has charts. The only break is that older folks (was it over 45?? or 50??) get to be slightly
> higher. No difference for men or women. It is based on height.

My first assigned goal is 225#. The assigned ultimate goal is 161#. I feel this is unrealistic for a
man 5' 10" and 65 years old. I have no desire to weigh that little. I'd be all bones. My personal
goal is 177#.

--
Richard Since 1938 JLFAMXUIRWQA(at)spammotel(dot)com
250/242/225 (first goal)

You go by the chart weight. There is a range and you can pick the weight
you want in that range. The ranges are at:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx

The alternative is that you can get a dr. note saying that they think you can be such and
such a weight.

If you are doing WW I think the rules are different because you don't get a discount in fee for
reaching goal.

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

skiur wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is a bit of a silly question. When you set your target, do you go by your own goal or is the
> chart weight assigned to you?
>
> I'm not really confident that I can get to the chart assigned weight for my height. I've never
> been that weight. I can't imagine it or picture myself that way.
>
> Julie

I went for the top of my range, and did not think I could make it. It became obvious that I could so
I did. I am about 7 pounds under the top of my range right now.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:38:22 -0600, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fred <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]:
>
>> WW has charts. The only break is that older folks (was it over 45?? or 50??) get to be slightly
>> higher. No difference for men or women. It is based on height.
>>

>My first assigned goal is 225#. The assigned ultimate goal is 161#. I feel this is unrealistic for
>a man 5' 10" and 65 years old. I have no desire to weigh that little. I'd be all bones. My personal
>goal is 177#.

Actually, if you look at the ww charts - they recommend a high weight of 174 for a person of your
height and age. Your personal goal of 177 isn't really far off the mark. And you would be surprised
about the *skin and bones* at that 161. I *thought* I would be skin and bones at 140 (I am 46 and
5'6"). WW recommended a high weight of 155 for me, which I didn't think I would/could ever reach (I
started out at 228.8). Guess what? I DID reach that 155, wasn't overly difficult and I was still
highly motivated to keep going down. Hit that 140, and found I wasn't skin and bones as I thought I
would be. I now hover between 130 and 132 and still don't feel I'm skin and bones. I look healthy
and feel even healthier.

Set mini-goals for yourself. I don't believe you have to set a firm final goal yet. See how things
progress and how you feel as you get more into the journey. You'll know when you're where you feel
you want to maintain ... then can decide if the recommended range is for you or if you'd rather get
a drs. note stating a higher goal.

Joyce started ww 2/5/02 ---> 228.8/129.5/150ww goal/140ish personal goal WW GOAL!!! 2/21/03 --->
LIFETIME 4/4/03 PERSONAL GOAL: 5/16/03

you can get a doctors note but to tell you the truth, I started by setting a
ten percent loss goal, every time I get to it I set another one... I can't
deal with not when I started and not even now, with much more than that... I
will only set my final goal when I can no longer use a ten percent and be
outside the top number on the chart. HTH, Lee

Mary in Rock Island IL wrote:
> Connie <walshclan@nospam_primus.ca> wrote:
>

>>http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx
>>

> Thanks for that link. If I am at goal by the time I'm 45, I get to gain 6 pounds!! What a great
> birthday celeberation that could be. Mary

6 lbs all in one day...it's been done!! ;-)

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

When I started, I set my goal weight at 157, not as low as the high end of WW range, but certainly
ambitious for me. As I settled into the program and realized that thin and healthy is how I want to
be and this way of eating is how I want to live, I lowered my goal weight to the high end of WW
goal. Now that I'm within 15 lbs of reaching it, I'm beginning to think I can get down to 130. I
won't decide until I've hit my WW goal. It's been since the mid 1970s since I weighed under 160. I
weighed 140 all through high school, 20 lbs overweight according to my doctor at the time. In other
words, I've never weighed 130 as an adult. Some part of thinks it might be possible. Even as another
part of me thinks I'm being ridiculous. Of course, that same part of me doesn't believe I've come as
far as I have.

Prairie Roots
232/158.8/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:49:32 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>This is a bit of a silly question. When you set your target, do you go by your own goal or is the
>chart weight assigned to you?
>
>I'm not really confident that I can get to the chart assigned weight for my height. I've never been
>that weight. I can't imagine it or picture myself that way.
>
>Julie

I've got that same part telling me that I'm being ridiculous in even trying this again. I want that
part to shut up. So I'm going to try it one step at a time. It joined in chorus with the "you're
never going to find a decent job so don't bother trying" gremlin.

Usually when I think I'm being ridiculous, I want to stuff my face with empty calories. Tonight's
response to stuffing my face was to measure out some chips and salsa and to try that first. That
wasn't enough so I grabbed a pinch of marinated ginger. That wasn't doing much either so I got a a
huge bowl of spring mix, 3oz tomatoes, 1 oz peppers, cukes, and 2 tbsp of salad dressing.

I'm addressing the "want sweet" desire with some bubble gum. Still better that what is lurking in
the freezer in the dark corners.

I don't have to stop all the bad habits, just tweek 'em enough to keep going to the next day and not
turn them into bad decisions.

Julie

"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> When I started, I set my goal weight at 157, not as low as the high end of WW range, but certainly
> ambitious for me. As I settled into the program and realized that thin and healthy is how I want
> to be and this way of eating is how I want to live, I lowered my goal weight to the high end of WW
> goal. Now that I'm within 15 lbs of reaching it, I'm beginning to think I can get down to 130. I
> won't decide until I've hit my WW goal. It's been since the mid 1970s since I weighed under 160. I
> weighed 140 all through high school, 20 lbs overweight according to my doctor at the time. In
> other words, I've never weighed 130 as an adult. Some part of thinks it might be possible. Even as
> another part of me thinks I'm being ridiculous. Of course, that same part of me doesn't believe
> I've come as far as I have.
>
> Prairie Roots
> 232/158.8/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
>
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:49:32 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >This is a bit of a silly question. When you set your target, do you go
by
> >your own goal or is the chart weight assigned to you?
> >
> >I'm not really confident that I can get to the chart assigned weight for
my
> >height. I've never been that weight. I can't imagine it or picture
myself
> >that way.
> >
> >Julie

Joyce probably found the correct values. I knew the ones you posted were wrong since I'm 5'8" and my
top of range is 164, so 2 inches taller would be higher. Someone at WW may have made a mistake or
misread the chart.

Yes, WW first assigns a 10% loss. And I set my secondary goal at a 2nd ten percent. Then I set
the WW goal.

But in any event, get below 200 will be a great step.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:38:22 -0600, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fred <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]:
>
>> WW has charts. The only break is that older folks (was it over 45?? or 50??) get to be slightly
>> higher. No difference for men or women. It is based on height.
>>

>My first assigned goal is 225#. The assigned ultimate goal is 161#. I feel this is unrealistic for
>a man 5' 10" and 65 years old. I have no desire to weigh that little. I'd be all bones. My personal
>goal is 177#.

The ranges can be found at:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx

Hope this helps.

Connie

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

Sounds like a great response to your gremlins!!

Connie

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

Hope it helps??? I'm depressed now....my target weight is 116-140....aye caramba

"Connie" <walshclan@nospam_primus.ca> wrote in message news:40319F1C.5030103@nospam_primus.ca...
> The ranges can be found at:
>
> http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Connie
>
> Fred wrote:
> > Joyce probably found the correct values. I knew the ones you posted were wrong since I'm 5'8"
> > and my top of range is 164, so 2 inches taller would be higher. Someone at WW may have made a
> > mistake or misread the chart.
> >
> > Yes, WW first assigns a 10% loss. And I set my secondary goal at a 2nd ten percent. Then I set
> > the WW goal.
> >
> > But in any event, get below 200 will be a great step.

> >>My first assigned goal is 225#. The assigned ultimate goal is 161#. I feel this is unrealistic
> >>for a man 5' 10" and 65 years old. I have no desire to weigh that little. I'd be all bones. My
> >>personal goal is
177#.

> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> Connie Walsh
>
> 241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

So sorry!! Pretend you didn't see it??

Connie

buck naked wrote:
> Hope it helps??? I'm depressed now....my target weight is 116-140....aye caramba
>
> "Connie" <walshclan@nospam_primus.ca> wrote in message news:40319F1C.5030103@nospam_primus.ca...
>
>>The ranges can be found at:
>>
>>http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Connie
>>
>>Fred wrote:
>>
>>>Joyce probably found the correct values. I knew the ones you posted were wrong since I'm 5'8" and
>>>my top of range is 164, so 2 inches taller would be higher. Someone at WW may have made a mistake
>>>or misread the chart.
>>>
>>>Yes, WW first assigns a 10% loss. And I set my secondary goal at a 2nd ten percent. Then I set
>>>the WW goal.
>>>
>>>But in any event, get below 200 will be a great step.

> 177#.
>

>>--
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Connie Walsh
>>
>>241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

I remember when I first looked at the chart. I kind of shrugged my shoulders and figured if I lost
about 20 pounds I would be very happy. I concentrated most thought on the 10% goal. I never expected
to reach the WW goal to be honest. But it happened over the weeks and months.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:35:33 -0600, "buck naked" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hope it helps??? I'm depressed now....my target weight is 116-140....aye caramba
>
>"Connie" <walshclan@nospam_primus.ca> wrote in message news:40319F1C.5030103@nospam_primus.ca...
>> The ranges can be found at:
>>
>> http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Connie
>>
>> Fred wrote:
>> > Joyce probably found the correct values. I knew the ones you posted were wrong since I'm 5'8"
>> > and my top of range is 164, so 2 inches taller would be higher. Someone at WW may have made a
>> > mistake or misread the chart.
>> >
>> > Yes, WW first assigns a 10% loss. And I set my secondary goal at a 2nd ten percent. Then I set
>> > the WW goal.
>> >
>> > But in any event, get below 200 will be a great step.

>177#.
>> >

>> --
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Connie Walsh
>>
>> 241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

Your doctor may recommend a different weight for you that is higher than the WW one. At this point I
would just aim for around 140-150 as your preliminary goal. Something your head can deal with so
that the journey is not overwhelming. My current "goal" is 150 when I know that it should be around
135. I'd be happy at 150 at this point after being almost 250 last year. Once you get closer to that
preliminary goal reevaluate it with your doctor to see just how far you can go. Take one step at a
time. One goal at a time.

"buck naked" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Hope it helps??? I'm depressed now....my target weight is 116-140....aye caramba
>
> "Connie" <walshclan@nospam_primus.ca> wrote in message news:40319F1C.5030103@nospam_primus.ca...
> > The ranges can be found at:
> >
> > http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Connie
> >
> > Fred wrote:
> > > Joyce probably found the correct values. I knew the ones you posted were wrong since I'm 5'8"
> > > and my top of range is 164, so 2 inches taller would be higher. Someone at WW may have made a
> > > mistake or misread the chart.
> > >
> > > Yes, WW first assigns a 10% loss. And I set my secondary goal at a 2nd ten percent. Then I set
> > > the WW goal.
> > >
> > > But in any event, get below 200 will be a great step.

> 177#.
> > >

> > --
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Connie Walsh
> >
> > 241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

The chart does take age into acount. I believe it is set up into 4 different columns, one for all
adults, next for ages up to 25, next for 25-45, next for 45+.

believe that, but it seems to be what is being sold to us now. <G> What isn't taken into account is
body build ... such as those wide shoulders, bigger boned frames, etc, which I think is very
important. I would think that someone my height who is petite (such as my daughter) will look and
feel much worse carrying the same amount of weight around that I do.

But yes, definitely check in with the physician. You are setting your goal exactly as I did. I don't
think I set my ww goal until well into the game. When I reached it I did talk to my physician and
was told an absolute minimum he would like to see me at. I think he was so thrilled to see me where
I was that he just threw a number out of the top of his head ... but at least it was a number and I
knew by that point that it was doable. It will be interesting to see what he has to say when I have
my checkup this week. <G>

Joyce

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:15:05 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Your doctor may recommend a different weight for you that is higher than the WW one. At this point
>I would just aim for around 140-150 as your preliminary goal. Something your head can deal with so
>that the journey is not overwhelming. My current "goal" is 150 when I know that it should be around
>135. I'd be happy at 150 at this point after being almost 250 last year. Once you get closer to
>that preliminary goal reevaluate it with your doctor to see just how far you can go. Take one step
>at a time. One goal at a time.
>
>"buck naked" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hope it helps??? I'm depressed now....my target weight is 116-140....aye caramba
>>
>> "Connie" <walshclan@nospam_primus.ca> wrote in message news:40319F1C.5030103@nospam_primus.ca...
>> > The ranges can be found at:
>> >
>> > http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx
>> >
>> > Hope this helps.
>> >
>> > Connie

>> 177#.
>> > >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Connie Walsh
>> >
>> > 241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

were you confronted with a difference in your body build after you had lost
some weight. I have always considered myself med./heavier boned now that I
have lost some weight I see I might not be Lee
Joyce <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The chart does take age into acount. I believe it is set up into 4
different
> columns, one for all adults, next for ages up to 25, next for 25-45, next
for 45+.

doesn't

sure I