One More Reason Not to Wear a Helmet

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott Lindstrom, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I'm biking into work today, wearing my helmet (of course), and I'm stopped at a red light, even
    though it's 6 AM and there's no traffic. I see some motion out of the corner of my eye, and my brain
    processes it as a bird dive-bombing me, so I pivot my eyeball up to look, only to see an e-NOR-mous
    spider climbing along the bottom brim of my helmet, about an inch from my eye. (Well, maybe it
    wasn't truly enormous, but it was awful close to my eye!).

Lemme tell ya -- my helmet got whipped up PDQ! It's lucky I was stopped at a light. ;)

Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.

Scott

Tags:

2. Review Boy

Review Boy Guest

Hi Scott -

That's a good reason not to wear shoes, too.

"Scott Lindstrom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > ... only to see an e-NOR-mous spider climbing along the bottom brim of my helmet, about an inch
    > from my eye. (
    >
    > Scott

3. kh6zv9

kh6zv9 Guest

Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:

: Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.

: Scott

Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.

--------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]

4. Dave Jackson

Dave Jackson Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    > : Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.
    >
    > : Scott
    >
    > Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.
    >
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung me 4
    times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.

Dave in Minnesota

5. Buck

Buck Guest

> "Scott Lindstrom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > ... only to see an e-NOR-mous spider climbing along the bottom brim of my helmet, about an inch
    > > from my eye. (

"Review Boy" <review [email protected]> wrote in message > Hi Scott -
    >
    > That's a good reason not to wear shoes, too.

Spiders? Bah. Spiders go squish when you put on your shoes. What we always worried about was
    scorpions. All it takes is one sting and you will always remember to tap out your shoes before
    putting them on.

-Buck

6. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    Dave Jackson <[email protected]> writes:

> I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung me
    > 4 times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.

Loose-fitting shirts also have a lovely way of funneling stingy flying insects into their interiors:
    down open collars, or up floppy sleeves -- another reason why form-fitting jerseys are superior to
    T-shirts. Getting stung on a bare arm is one thing; having an armed intruder wandering around with
    impunity in one's clothing is quite another. I've never had a bug fly up my loose MTB shorts yet
    (knock on wood).

I've known several motorcyclists who've had to pull-over and fling their shirts off in one very
    quick, desperate motion. I guess that's a problem that comes with more upright riding positions.

I dunno if it works for everybody, but I've found calamine lotion works swiftly to soothe & nullify
    wasp stings. But I'm not allergic to 'em.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

7. Bobqzzi

Bobqzzi Guest

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:09:54 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
    > Dave Jackson <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung
    >> me 4 times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.
    >
    >Loose-fitting shirts also have a lovely way of funneling stingy flying insects into their
    >interiors: down open collars, or up floppy sleeves -- another reason why form-fitting jerseys are
    >superior to T-shirts. Getting stung on a bare arm is one thing; having an armed intruder wandering
    >around with impunity in one's clothing is quite another. I've never had a bug fly up my loose MTB
    >shorts yet (knock on wood).
    >
    >I've known several motorcyclists who've had to pull-over and fling their shirts off in one very
    >quick, desperate motion. I guess that's a problem that comes with more upright riding positions.
    >
    >I dunno if it works for everybody, but I've found calamine lotion works swiftly to soothe & nullify
    >wasp stings. But I'm not allergic to 'em.
    >
    >
    >cheers, Tom

Last year I was riding down Mauna Kea in Hawaii, which has an extremely steep acess road. I was
    doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 when some sort of bug went through the open collar of
    my jersey. I don't know what kind of bug it was, or if it stung me, becuase it was squashed
    beyond recognition, and there was a large painful welt on my chest. Hurt much worse than any
    sting I've recieved.

Bob

8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > : Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.
    > >
    > > : Scott
    > >
    > > Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.
    > >
    > >
    > > --------------------------------
    > > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    > > --------------------------------
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung me
    > 4 times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.
    >
    > Dave in Minnesota
    >

Had that happen on my bicycle helmet strap, right at the temple. Looked like my eyeball had slipped
    its moorings.
    --

9. Chris Phillipo wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>: Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.
    >>>
    >>>: Scott
    >>>
    >>>Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.
    >>>

>>
    >>I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung me
    >>4 times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.
    >>
    >>Dave in Minnesota
    >>
    >
    >
    > Had that happen on my bicycle helmet strap, right at the temple. Looked like my eyeball had
    > slipped its moorings.

The only times I've been stung on a bike I was helmetless. A bee got caught in my hair and I, not
    knowing what it was, tried to brush it out with my hand. Got stung. Curiously, this happened twice
    within the span of a week about 15 or so years ago -- stung on the same finger each time -- and has
    never recurred.

Scott

10. [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    > : Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.
    >
    > : Scott
    >
    > Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.
    >

Couple of years ago that happened to me twice in one week. I got stung both times.

11. Ram

Ram Guest

> >>>Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.

I was hammering down a hill once and had a hornet (or something) fly into my mouth! managed to sting
    me on the lip before I could spit the bastard out. My lip swelled up for a couple days and it hurt
    like a son of a bitch. I try to keep my mouth closed when travelling at high speed now.

Shut your mouth!

12. Dave Pushee

Dave Pushee Guest

ram wrote:

>>>>>Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.
    >>>>>
    >
    > I was hammering down a hill once and had a hornet (or something) fly into my mouth! managed to
    > sting me on the lip before I could spit the bastard out. My lip swelled up for a couple days and
    > it hurt like a son of a bitch. I try to keep my mouth closed when travelling at high speed now.
    >
    > Shut your mouth!
    >

Same thing happened to me last year. As I spit out the homeybee, it stung me on the tip fo the
    tongue. As the tongue began to swell and stiffen, I began to wonder just how far back it was going
    to swell and would I still be able to breathe. I recall that the bee was kind of gritty -- must have
    been the pollen he was carrying.

13. Jbenkert111

Jbenkert111 Guest

After reading this thread, I think I will hang up my bike and go back to running. :)

14. Dan Cosley

Dan Cosley Guest

In article <[email protected]>, bobqzzi wrote:

> I don't know what kind of bug it was, or if it stung me, becuase it was squashed beyond
    > recognition, and there was a large painful welt on my chest. Hurt much worse than any sting I've
    > recieved.

They say that some days you're the bug, and other days you're the windshield. I guess being the
    windshield kind of sucks.

-- Dan

--
    Dan Cosley ([email protected] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/) GroupLens Research
    Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372) *** Just a foot soldier in the Army
    of Truth ***

15. Ben Kaufman

Ben Kaufman Guest

11 days ago I had a nasty fall going about 15-20mph. Lots of road rash and broke my clavicle. My
    helmeted head did not "seem" to hit too hard but i recall it dragging for what seemed like a long
    time. so at the very least it keep my face and scalp from sharing in the nasty RR. I never thought i
    would fall. i always expected to get nailed by a car. pissed that i'm in a harness for prob. 8 weeks
    but at least my head and face are in once piece.

Ben

16. kh6zv9

kh6zv9 Guest

Ben Kaufman <[email protected]> wrote:
    : 11 days ago I had a nasty fall going about 15-20mph. Lots of road rash and broke my clavicle. My
    : helmeted head did not "seem" to hit too hard but i recall it dragging for what seemed like a long
    : time. so at the very least it keep my face and scalp from sharing in the nasty RR. I never thought
    : i would fall. i always expected to get nailed by a car. pissed that i'm in a harness for prob. 8
    : weeks but at least my head and face are in once piece.

: Ben

How do you like sleeping in a chair all night? Last year I broke my clavicle too. 6 months later I
    busted my left arm in a fall.

You will heal.

17. Ben Kaufman

Ben Kaufman Guest

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:43:45 -0000, [email protected] wrote:

>Ben Kaufman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: 11 days ago I had a nasty fall going about 15-20mph. Lots of road rash and broke my clavicle. My
    >: helmeted head did not "seem" to hit too hard but i recall it dragging for what seemed like a long
    >: time. so at the very least it keep my face and scalp from sharing in the nasty RR. I never
    >: thought i would fall. i always expected to get nailed by a car. pissed that i'm in a harness for
    >: prob. 8 weeks but at least my head and face are in once piece.
    >
    >: Ben
    >
    >How do you like sleeping in a chair all night? Last year I broke my clavicle too. 6 months later I
    >busted my left arm in a fall.
    >
    >You will heal.
    >
    >--------------------------------
    >
    >
    >
    >
    i've been able to sleep lying flat on my back after the third night. I hate being on my back the
    whole night but it's also the only position that gives me some relief from the harness's nasty grip
    (as opposed to 50 million diff. sitting positions <g>) and reduces hand swelling.

How many weeks did you have to wear the harness and do you know the position your clav. fused
    back together?

Ben

18. kh6zv9

kh6zv9 Guest

:>
    : i've been able to sleep lying flat on my back after the third night. I hate being on my back the
    : whole night but it's also the only position that gives me some relief from the harness's nasty
    : grip (as opposed to 50 million diff. sitting positions <g>) and reduces hand swelling.

: How many weeks did you have to wear the harness and do you know the position your clav. fused back
    : together?

I didn't wear the harness. I only went to the the Ortho once and they just took an xray of it and
    sent me home.

The Harness will probably help you mend better. My shoulder droops about an inch on that side and
    hurts 50 per cent of the time still.

19. Ben Kaufman

Ben Kaufman Guest

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 05:16:33 -0000, [email protected] wrote:

>Ben Kaufman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >:>
    >: i've been able to sleep lying flat on my back after the third night. I hate being on my back the
    >: whole night but it's also the only position that gives me some relief from the harness's nasty
    >: grip (as opposed to 50 million diff. sitting positions <g>) and reduces hand swelling.
    >
    >: How many weeks did you have to wear the harness and do you know the position your clav. fused
    >: back together?
    >
    >: Ben
    >
    >I didn't wear the harness. I only went to the the Ortho once and they just took an xray of it and
    >sent me home.
    >
    >The Harness will probably help you mend better. My shoulder droops about an inch on that side and
    >hurts 50 per cent of the time still.
    >
    >
    >--------------------------------
    >
    >
    >
    >

Did you have a clean break? That's what i have.

The dr. is taking pictures at 2 week intervals and there will probably be some physio down the road.

I am totally dependent upon my wife. Good thing she still likes me after 20+ years <g>

Ben

20. kh6zv9

kh6zv9 Guest

4ax.com> Organization:

: Did you have a clean break? That's what i have.

: The dr. is taking pictures at 2 week intervals and there will probably be some physio down
    : the road.

: I am totally dependent upon my wife. Good thing she still likes me after 20+ years <g>

I don't know if it was a clean break or not. It was a very hard fall while mountain bking and I also
    broke ribs in the front and the back at the same time. When I went to the ortho I was so hopped up
    on pain killers I didn't ask any questions etc.

I was back doing heavy lifting in a month and a half. No therapy.

I have a giant lump next to my sternum now that crackles and creaks when I move my are around.

Wives are great when you break bones....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.