One More Reason Not to Wear a Helmet

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott Lindstrom, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. So I'm biking into work today, wearing my helmet (of course), and I'm stopped at a red light, even
    though it's 6 AM and there's no traffic. I see some motion out of the corner of my eye, and my brain
    processes it as a bird dive-bombing me, so I pivot my eyeball up to look, only to see an e-NOR-mous
    spider climbing along the bottom brim of my helmet, about an inch from my eye. (Well, maybe it
    wasn't truly enormous, but it was awful close to my eye!).

    Lemme tell ya -- my helmet got whipped up PDQ! It's lucky I was stopped at a light. ;)

    Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Review Boy

    Review Boy Guest

    Hi Scott -

    That's a good reason not to wear shoes, too.

    "Scott Lindstrom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > ... only to see an e-NOR-mous spider climbing along the bottom brim of my helmet, about an inch
    > from my eye. (
    >
    > Scott

  3. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.

    : Scott

    Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  4. Dave Jackson

    Dave Jackson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > : Memo to Scott: Check Helmet for critters before putting it on in the morning.
    >
    > : Scott
    >
    > Or you are riding and suck up a pissed off hornet into the helmet vents. That is fun too.
    >

    > --------------------------------
    > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    > --------------------------------

    I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung me 4
    times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.

    Dave in Minnesota

  5. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Review Boy" <review [email protected]> wrote in message > Hi Scott -

    > That's a good reason not to wear shoes, too.

    Spiders? Bah. Spiders go squish when you put on your shoes. What we always worried about was
    scorpions. All it takes is one sting and you will always remember to tap out your shoes before
    putting them on.

    -Buck

  6. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dave Jackson <[email protected]> writes:

    > I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung me
    > 4 times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.

    Loose-fitting shirts also have a lovely way of funneling stingy flying insects into their interiors:
    down open collars, or up floppy sleeves -- another reason why form-fitting jerseys are superior to
    T-shirts. Getting stung on a bare arm is one thing; having an armed intruder wandering around with
    impunity in one's clothing is quite another. I've never had a bug fly up my loose MTB shorts yet
    (knock on wood).

    I've known several motorcyclists who've had to pull-over and fling their shirts off in one very
    quick, desperate motion. I guess that's a problem that comes with more upright riding positions.

    I dunno if it works for everybody, but I've found calamine lotion works swiftly to soothe & nullify
    wasp stings. But I'm not allergic to 'em.

    cheers, Tom