One More Reason Not to Wear a Helmet

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:26:51 GMT, Ben Kaufman <[email protected]> wrote:

>11 days ago I had a nasty fall going about 15-20mph. Lots of road rash and broke my clavicle. My
>helmeted head did not "seem" to hit too hard but i recall it dragging for what seemed like a long
>time. so at the very least it keep my face and scalp from sharing in the nasty RR. I never thought
>i would fall. i always expected to get nailed by a car. ****** that i'm in a harness for prob. 8
>weeks but at least my head and face are in once piece.
>
>Ben

Ben,

Hope your recovery goes well. If you don't mind, how did the accident happen, and was it avoidable?

Gary

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:28:26 -0500, Scott Lindstrom <[email protected]> wrote:

>wearing my helmet (of course)

That would be "of course I haven't heard that they do nothing to make cycling safer" then ;-)

Guy
===

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:41:55 GMT, shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:26:51 GMT, Ben Kaufman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>11 days ago I had a nasty fall going about 15-20mph. Lots of road rash and broke my clavicle. My
>>helmeted head did not "seem" to hit too hard but i recall it dragging for what seemed like a long
>>time. so at the very least it keep my face and scalp from sharing in the nasty RR. I never thought
>>i would fall. i always expected to get nailed by a car. ****** that i'm in a harness for prob. 8
>>weeks but at least my head and face are in once piece.
>>
>>Ben
>

>Ben,
>
>Hope your recovery goes well. If you don't mind, how did the accident happen, and was it avoidable?
>
>Gary

Gary,

It caught me off guard. I believe that i was in the process of shifting. I hit a narrow rut or bump
i didn't see near the side of the road.. To the best of my recollection, I lurched forward off my
seat, the handle bar supporting my stomach as I tried to steer out of a fall to the left into
traffic. There was some rotation I can't describe and i came down on my right side.

The only way it would have been avoidable is if i had seen the problem in the road and could brace
myself for it.

Ben

<snip>
>It caught me off guard. I believe that i was in the process of shifting. I hit a narrow rut or bump
>i didn't see near the side of the road.. To the best of my recollection, I lurched forward off my
>seat, the handle bar supporting my stomach as I tried to steer out of a fall to the left into
>traffic. There was some rotation I can't describe and i came down on my right side.
>
>The only way it would have been avoidable is if i had seen the problem in the road and could brace
>myself for it.
>
>Ben

Ouch! Today, my third day in 22 years of owning a bike, I almost got hit by an old lady pulling into
a parking lot. Just like riding my motorcycle, you gotta be so defesive.

Hope you heal well, and get back on the road.

Several bad falls for me: Once I rolling down hill when it's dark at night, no light, I hit a big
rock, I fly into the sky, rotated maybe more than 400 degrees...I thought I must die, but actually
not serious injured, I still climbed a mountain with a broken sandal...

another time, I reached 31 mile/ hour speed with fully loaded bike and trailer with load, the bike
became unstable and out of my control and in the middle of the road, my heavy bike fall to the
ground, slid on the road for a unknown distance with me, too fast, I thought I must die...I lay on
the ground thought I were already dead...After a while, a car just stopped in time not to hit
me...To my surprise, I feel I can stand up, later I was very excited: it seems I did not break any
bones! Only lost a bit flesh and blood ...After that was a about 30 mile long hill start from
Kamloops, Canada an elevation gain of 1100 meters (from about 300m above sea level to 1444m above
sea level)...miserable, but lucky...

......So ride slowly, better to be alive than...

Sincerely yours, Ming Kou Department of Mathematics University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~mingkou

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:10:34 GMT, shipwreck <[email protected]> wrote:

><snip>
>>It caught me off guard. I believe that i was in the process of shifting. I hit a narrow rut or
>>bump i didn't see near the side of the road.. To the best of my recollection, I lurched forward
>>off my seat, the handle bar supporting my stomach as I tried to steer out of a fall to the left
>>into traffic. There was some rotation I can't describe and i came down on my right side.
>>
>>The only way it would have been avoidable is if i had seen the problem in the road and could brace
>>myself for it.
>>
>>Ben
>

>Ouch! Today, my third day in 22 years of owning a bike, I almost got hit by an old lady pulling
>into a parking lot. Just like riding my motorcycle, you gotta be so defesive.
>
>Hope you heal well, and get back on the road.
I drive an MC too. I had told my wife, who is always nervous about the MC, that i was more likely to
get injured on the bicycle or running. ....Sometimes there's no joy in being right <g>.

Ben

> Hi Scott -
>
> That's a good reason not to wear shoes, too.

LOL :))

> > ... only to see an e-NOR-mous spider climbing along the bottom brim of my helmet, about an inch
> > from my eye. (
> >
> > Scott
> >

> >> I had a hornet get caught in my motorcycle helmet strap one time when I was riding along. Stung
> >> me 4 times before I dug it outta there. Lucky I didn't crash the cycle.

Hmm... Helmet on = hornet sting Helmet off = cracked skull with brains spilling onto the pavement.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me, no pun intended.

Michael

No point. Last year I swallowed a bluebottle while practicing my kick-scooter. I couldn't even glide
at that point, just hopping along - but the effort was enough to open my mouth to breathe, and that
bugger made a line for the back of my throat. Tasted powerfully of rotting melon and I was still
tasting it at the end of the day.

Jbenkert111 wrote:

> After reading this thread, I think I will hang up my bike and go back to running. :)

From today's (Tue 17 june) London Daily Telegraph

DEATH OF A HEAD BANGER Micheal Leidig, Vienna

Austrian authorities have warned people not to copy a cult televisiion show in which participants
run at a wall and butt it while wearing a crash helmet after a man collapsed and died after doing
it. Gerhard Renzl, 30, was paralysed after crushing a vertebra in his neck. He was in a coma for two
days before he died a Salzburg hospital. Police are considering charging the woman owner of the pub
in the town of Buermoos where wallbutting contests were organised.

Jeremy Parker

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:36:09 GMT, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:

>"Review Boy" <review [email protected]> wrote in message > Hi Scott -
>>
>> That's a good reason not to wear shoes, too.
>
>Spiders? Bah. Spiders go squish when you put on your shoes. What we always worried about was
>scorpions. All it takes is one sting and you will always remember to tap out your shoes before
>putting them on.

There is one particular type of spider, fairly small, that likes to hide inside shoes and can be
lethal with a single bite, if not immediately treated. These are nearly as dangerous as scorpions.

Jasper

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> From today's (Tue 17 june) London Daily Telegraph
>
> DEATH OF A HEAD BANGER Micheal Leidig, Vienna
>
> Austrian authorities have warned people not to copy a cult televisiion show in which participants
> run at a wall and butt it while wearing a crash helmet after a man collapsed and died after doing
> it. Gerhard Renzl, 30, was paralysed after crushing a vertebra in his neck. He was in a coma for
> two days before he died a Salzburg hospital. Police are considering charging the woman owner of
> the pub in the town of Buermoos where wallbutting contests were organised.
>
> Jeremy Parker

Hmmm. New Darwin award winner.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:03:56 GMT, "James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>> Austrian authorities have warned people not to copy a cult televisiion show in which participants
>> run at a wall and butt it while wearing a crash helmet after a man collapsed and died after doing
>> it. Gerhard

>Hmmm. New Darwin award winner.

Nominee, maybe, but not spectacular enough to win, IMHO.

Jasper

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:26:51 GMT, Ben Kaufman <[email protected]> wrote:

>11 days ago I had a nasty fall going about 15-20mph. Lots of road rash and broke my clavicle.

23 days ago I did an endo on the multi use path along Minnehaha parkway in MPLS. Long story short
the result was much the same as for you. Broken Clavicle, Facial lacerations with 40 or so stitches
Etc. My doctor said that I can be back to hard training 5 weeks after the accident. It's been just
over 3 and I feel pretty much fine. I may go for a ride (carefully) tomorrow. Got my bike back from
the shop yesterday (It had a broken Clavicle too). Bye the way I'm no spring chicken. I'll be 45
next month, but when you are in good shape you heal fast. Keep in touch we can compare notes. Oh my
break was nice and clean the ends ended up 1.5 cm overlapped with an 8 mm space in between. No
x-bracing needed just a sling. I stopped sleeping totally on my back 2 days ago.

Heal fast or as one of the tall bike riding kids I know says: Have fun, Ride hard, Break bones. (or
something like that) Darrell

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:54:01 GMT, Darrell Berg <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:26:51 GMT, Ben Kaufman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>11 days ago I had a nasty fall going about 15-20mph. Lots of road rash and broke my clavicle.
>
>23 days ago I did an endo on the multi use path along Minnehaha parkway in MPLS. Long story short
>the result was much the same as for you. Broken Clavicle, Facial lacerations with 40 or so stitches
>Etc. My doctor said that I can be back to hard training 5 weeks after the accident. It's been just
>over 3 and I feel pretty much fine. I may go for a ride (carefully) tomorrow. Got my bike back from
>the shop yesterday (It had a broken Clavicle too). Bye the way I'm no spring chicken. I'll be 45
>next month, but when you are in good shape you heal fast. Keep in touch we can compare notes. Oh my
>break was nice and clean the ends ended up 1.5 cm overlapped with an 8 mm space in between. No
>x-bracing needed just a sling. I stopped sleeping totally on my back 2 days ago.
>
>Heal fast or as one of the tall bike riding kids I know says: Have fun, Ride hard, Break bones. (or
>something like that) Darrell

Darrell,

Time flies when you're having fun <g>. Tomorrow marks three weeks for me too. I'm also 45. I just
started on my exercise cycle yesterday. It's an old, upright design so I can get the legs moving
without any upper body involvement. Doing only about 15 mins at low watts. I have drastically cut
down on intake calories but without exercise i put a few pounds on during the prev. weeks.

I took a prelim. look at my bike. Right pedal is embedded with asphalt and right side of steering
wheel is scraped but rest of bike looks ok.

My main discomfort is now from various shoulder area muscles that have been kept inactive or
stressed by the harness straps.

I don't plan on taking out the bike until healing is complete. Until then, the area is much more
prone to breaking again and that first week was pretty miserable for me and my wife.

Hopefully, I will be out of this harness within 3 more weeks..

Does the sling keep your shoulder back or immobilized at all?

Ben