One more success for the War on Terror (tm)

Eugenio Mastroviti

Guest
Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
"speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
going uphill!

Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they informed
me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the friggin' point? I
WALK at over 5 mph!

Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were just
taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for cycling
uphill at 15 mph...

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
> Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
> enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
> "speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
> international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
> stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
> going uphill!
>
> Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they informed
> me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the friggin' point? I
> WALK at over 5 mph!
>
> Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
> officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were just
> taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for cycling
> uphill at 15 mph...

afaik, speed limits at 5mph increments aren't enforceable, as there's no
requirement for speedometers to actaully show 5mph increments.

though i could be talking rubbish... :)

barry wrote:
> Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
>> Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
>> enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
>> "speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
>> international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
>> stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
>> going uphill!
>>
>> Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they
>> informed me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the
>> friggin' point? I WALK at over 5 mph!
>>
>> Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
>> officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were
>> just taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for
>> cycling uphill at 15 mph...

> afaik, speed limits at 5mph increments aren't enforceable, as there's
> no requirement for speedometers to actaully show 5mph increments.
>
> though i could be talking rubbish... :)

Haven't we established in the past that speed limits are for motor vehicles,
and there is no requirement on cyclists to even measure our speed, never
mind curtail it?
--

Martin Bulmer

As far as I know you can be prosecuted and fined, points on your
driving licence etc. for speeding on your bike. Not sure what happens
if you don't have a driving licence. I can't be bothered to check the
back pages of my Highway Code so I'm prepared to be shown wrong.

Martin Bulmer wrote:
> barry wrote:
> > Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
> >> Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
> >> enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
> >> "speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
> >> international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
> >> stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
> >> going uphill!
> >>
> >> Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they
> >> informed me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the
> >> friggin' point? I WALK at over 5 mph!
> >>
> >> Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
> >> officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were
> >> just taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for
> >> cycling uphill at 15 mph...

> > afaik, speed limits at 5mph increments aren't enforceable, as there's
> > no requirement for speedometers to actaully show 5mph increments.
> >
> > though i could be talking rubbish... :)

> Haven't we established in the past that speed limits are for motor vehicles,
> and there is no requirement on cyclists to even measure our speed, never
> mind curtail it?
> --
>

> Martin Bulmer

in message <[email protected]>, Martin Bulmer
('[email protected]') wrote:

> barry wrote:
>> Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
>>> Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
>>> enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
>>> "speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
>>> international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
>>> stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
>>> going uphill!
>>>
>>> Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they
>>> informed me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the
>>> friggin' point? I WALK at over 5 mph!
>>>
>>> Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
>>> officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were
>>> just taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for
>>> cycling uphill at 15 mph...

>> afaik, speed limits at 5mph increments aren't enforceable, as there's
>> no requirement for speedometers to actaully show 5mph increments.
>>
>> though i could be talking rubbish... :)

> Haven't we established in the past that speed limits are for motor
> vehicles,

Except in 'Royal' Parks.

[ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

On 1 Aug 2005 15:15:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>As far as I know you can be prosecuted and fined, points on your
>driving licence etc. for speeding on your bike.

Bollocks (tm)

>Not sure what happens
>if you don't have a driving licence. I can't be bothered to check the
>back pages of my Highway Code so I'm prepared to be shown wrong.

You are, as Mr. Larrington would say, this: Wrong.

Tim

barry wrote:

> Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
>
>> Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
>> enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
>> "speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
>> international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
>> stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
>> going uphill!
>>
>> Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they informed
>> me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the friggin' point? I
>> WALK at over 5 mph!
>>
>> Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
>> officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were just
>> taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for cycling
>> uphill at 15 mph...

> afaik, speed limits at 5mph increments aren't enforceable, as there's no
> requirement for speedometers to actaully show 5mph increments.
>
> though i could be talking rubbish... :)

Talking of which, what if you dont have one.

[email protected] came up with the following;:
> As far as I know you can be prosecuted and fined, points on your
> driving licence etc. for speeding on your bike.

No you can't. Cyclists don't have to have a driving licence so can't be
awarded points for infringing any driving laws by adding points to one.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Paul - *** wrote:
> [email protected] came up with the following;:
>
>> As far as I know you can be prosecuted and fined, points on your
>> driving licence etc. for speeding on your bike.

> No you can't. Cyclists don't have to have a driving licence so can't be
> awarded points for infringing any driving laws by adding points to one.

That's not the reason. It's perfectly possible to have points on a
non-existant licence; there's quite a few drunk/careless/dangerous
driving/etc convictions of children and visiting furriners where this
has happened. If and when a licence is acquired, the points appear on
it from the word go.

However, I'm not aware of any cycling-related offence that ends up with
points on one's driving licence.

R.

[email protected] wrote:
> As far as I know you can be prosecuted and fined, points on your
> driving licence etc. for speeding on your bike. Not sure what happens
> if you don't have a driving licence. I can't be bothered to check the
> back pages of my Highway Code so I'm prepared to be shown wrong.

Comprehensive rubbish. Outside the Royal Parks, there is no offence of
speeding on a bicycle. Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles.
Nothing you do on a bicycle can affect your driving license.

--
Tony

Anon

Tosspot wrote:

> Talking of which, what if you dont have one.

If you don't have one and you exceed the 15mph speed limit in Richmond
Park then that's your problem just as it's your problem if you don't
have a breathalyser in your car and are caught driving over the alcohol
limit. There is not legal requirement to have a speedometer on a
bicycle or a breathalyser in a car but it is still your responsibility
in both cases not to break the respective laws.

--
Tony

Anon

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
> Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
> enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
> "speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
> international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
> stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
> going uphill!
>
> Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they informed
> me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the friggin' point? I
> WALK at over 5 mph!
>
> Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
> officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were just
> taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for cycling
> uphill at 15 mph...

Whereabouts in Finsbury Park were you stopped? Was it on a road,
cyclepath.......?

--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven wrote:
> Tosspot wrote:
> >
> > Talking of which, what if you dont have one.

> If you don't have one and you exceed the 15mph speed limit in Richmond
> Park

<pedant> on the road it is 20mph</pedant>

...d

> [email protected] wrote:
>> As far as I know you can be prosecuted and fined, points on your
>> driving licence etc. for speeding on your bike. Not sure what happens
>> if you don't have a driving licence. I can't be bothered to check the
>> back pages of my Highway Code so I'm prepared to be shown wrong.
>>

> Comprehensive rubbish. Outside the Royal Parks, there is no offence of
> speeding on a bicycle. Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles. Nothing
> you do on a bicycle can affect your driving license.

However, not every police officer knows this ... and if they've had a very
long last few shifts ...

BTW, Eugenio, were you using panniers or a backpack?

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tony Raven wrote:
>> Tosspot wrote:
>> >
>> > Talking of which, what if you dont have one.

>> If you don't have one and you exceed the 15mph speed limit in Richmond
>> Park

> <pedant> on the road it is 20mph</pedant>

I saw them pull over a car by Roehampton gate, however, do they ever sit at
the bottom of the hill near Robin Hood gate? 'Cos that's one of the places
where it's easy enough to hit 40mph. Or so I've been told ..

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
> Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
> enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
> "speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
> international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
> stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
> going uphill!
>
> Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they informed
> me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the friggin' point? I
> WALK at over 5 mph!
>
> Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
> officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were just
> taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for cycling
> uphill at 15 mph...

From my experience, when I was 13 I was caught doing 35mph in a 30
(downhill).

I was pulled over by the police officer who had their speed gun and was
issued with a fixed penalty notice for £25.00, in the days when Police
Officers could use common sense and decide a fit penalty themselves.

Now I live in North Wales, if I was caught doing that I'm certain the
penalty would have been far more draconian. However, what would happen
if you are flashed by a GATSO, presumably they can't prosecute? Anyone
fancy having a go?

elyob wrote:
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Tony Raven wrote:

> >> If you don't have one and you exceed the 15mph speed limit in Richmond
> >> Park

> > <pedant> on the road it is 20mph</pedant>
> >

> I saw them pull over a car by Roehampton gate, however, do they ever sit at
> the bottom of the hill near Robin Hood gate? 'Cos that's one of the places
> where it's easy enough to hit 40mph. Or so I've been told ..

When there was a thirty limit and I was young and foolish we could
easily top 35 on that road, the only problem being the extremely lumpy
road surface. We'd actually be overtaking cars ;-)

Now that the speed limit is in evidence, I can't try to better my best
time around the park (one lap, rolling start at Ladderstile going
anticlockwise) which was just about 19 minutes for the 6.9 miles (IIRC)
(smidgin under 22mph on average). Slow by a decent riders standards but
I had little technique at the time.

Have to take my daughter up there next summer if we have bikes with us
when visiting my parents.

...d

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> elyob wrote:
>> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > <pedant> on the road it is 20mph</pedant>
>> >

>> I saw them pull over a car by Roehampton gate, however, do they ever sit
>> at
>> the bottom of the hill near Robin Hood gate? 'Cos that's one of the
>> places
>> where it's easy enough to hit 40mph. Or so I've been told ..

> When there was a thirty limit and I was young and foolish we could
> easily top 35 on that road, the only problem being the extremely lumpy
> road surface. We'd actually be overtaking cars ;-)
>
> Now that the speed limit is in evidence, I can't try to better my best
> time around the park (one lap, rolling start at Ladderstile going
> anticlockwise) which was just about 19 minutes for the 6.9 miles (IIRC)
> (smidgin under 22mph on average). Slow by a decent riders standards but
> I had little technique at the time.
>
> Have to take my daughter up there next summer if we have bikes with us
> when visiting my parents.

I was pretending that I don't do it myself .. ;)

Adam J Edge wrote:

> However, what would happen if you are flashed
> by a GATSO, presumably they can't prosecute?
> Anyone fancy having a go?

I've passed the one at the bottom of Stamford Hill many times at V > 35 mph,
but the thing resolutely refuses to go off, chiz.

Official: Living in a wardrobe can be injurious to one's health
<URL:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1567961,00.html>

Adam J Edge wrote:

> From my experience, when I was 13 I was caught doing 35mph in a
> 30 (downhill).
>
> I was pulled over by the police officer who had their speed gun
> and was issued with a fixed penalty notice for £25.00, in the days
> when Police Officers could use common sense and decide a fit
> penalty themselves.

I hope you didn't pay it because it was invalid. With certain specific
exceptions there is no offence of speeding on a bicycle. The officer
issuing the notice may not have known that.

> Now I live in North Wales, if I was caught doing that I'm certain
> the penalty would have been far more draconian. However, what
> would happen if you are flashed by a GATSO, presumably they can't
> prosecute? Anyone fancy having a go?

I keep trying, but they're not easy to set off. I repeat, however, even
if you set the Gatso off, and even if the police could trace you from
the photograph, you are not committing an offence of speeding.

--
Dave...