One or the other...

SWEETRIDE4ME

Jul 27, 2004
I am looking at getting the Giant OCR 1 or the OCR 2. I am a newbie and this will be my first road bike. Is there any reason I should get the 1 over the 2 right now??? I know the componants and all are better, but being a newbie I wasn't sure if I would really notice the difference. I have already ruled out the 3 since I know I don't want any Sora parts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SWEETRIDE4ME said:
I am looking at getting the Giant OCR 1 or the OCR 2. I am a newbie and this will be my first road bike. Is there any reason I should get the 1 over the 2 right now??? I know the componants and all are better, but being a newbie I wasn't sure if I would really notice the difference. I have already ruled out the 3 since I know I don't want any Sora parts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well, if you stick with it,you won't be a newbie for long,and the better bike may save you from alot of upgrade fever.But why by one bike with the idea of ditching if for something better in a short time? OTOH, many never get the fever,and the less expensive bike allows them more money for beer.

Get an Orbea bike, much better quality, responsive, beautiful, logos are hand painted and will not really need to upgrade for many years.

dfvcad said:
Get an Orbea bike, much better quality, responsive, beautiful, logos are hand painted and will not really need to upgrade for many years.
Dollars to donuts you have one and wouldn't be caught dead on a giant either? LOL :rolleyes:

the problem with the ocr series is that they are as they say comfort bikes and will not ride as responsive as say, orbeas. but if you dead certain on getting them i suggest you wait till 2005 and get the ocr 1 with the rear carbon triangle, and even consider getting the tcr2, its only 100 dollars more expensive (1100) and it comes with full 105 group (instead of third party stuff), a better sadle (fizik aliante) and even includes pedals, a great deal. it'll also be more responsive due to the geometry.

MrHatten said:
the problem with the ocr series is that they are as they say comfort bikes and will not ride as responsive as say, orbeas. but if you dead certain on getting them i suggest you wait till 2005 and get the ocr 1 with the rear carbon triangle, and even consider getting the tcr2, its only 100 dollars more expensive (1100) and it comes with full 105 group (instead of third party stuff), a better sadle (fizik aliante) and even includes pedals, a great deal. it'll also be more responsive due to the geometry.
I wouldn't call an ocr a 'comfort bike'. You are assuming an ocr is not 'responsive' enough,however you define that,and that everyone needs or wants a 'race' bike.....EH? Too many buy a 'racebike', only to find that something less 'Eurotrashy' would have been more appropriate.Fortunately, in todays market there are many flavors of road bike.

Well boudreaux I was hoping you were going to reply and I thank you for your input, you have much wisdom. As for dfvcad who replied about the orbea bike. Do they make acomperably priced/outfitted bike, if so I am deff going to try it out, as I am with many bikes before I throw down my cash.

Buy the best bike you can reasonably afford. I personally do not like Giants because I am not a fan of the compact frame (no real logical reason, I just don't like them), but they are nice bikes. I think you would be happy with either bike, but buying the less expensive one puts you in the position of always wondering if the more expensive would have been worth it (especially if you really take a liking to the sport). Good luck, and have fun with whatever bicycle you buy.

I'd second the general advice about going for the more expensive bike - if you buy the cheaper one, after riding for a while you'll start wanting something better, so you may as well just buy the better thing in the first place.