One rule for cyclists and one for pedestrians?

J Asking

Guest
If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

J Asking wrote:
> =

> If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
> footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

Of course it's ok. I'm happy that the car drivers want to make sure I know they are approaching. But
if they honk simultaniously as they pass me, the signal is of no use to me.

btw, what are the pedestrians innocent of?

g=F6ran

Of course there are completely different rules for pedestrians. They're not vehicles for a start.

J Asking wrote:
> If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
> footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

1) Cyclists are not allowed on footpaths. They do share "dual use" paths. Your local laws may vary.

2) Bell != horn. Horns are an emergency warning, but bells are to let people know you are there.
This convention goes way back to the horse and buggy days. Or reindeer sleys.

It is NOT OK for a car to use the horn, except in emergency in most western countries AFAIK.

In china, trucks must honk before passing a cyclist on country roads. This can get annoying after a
while. :) Its not like you cnat hear them anyway!

I take it you got scared by a bell? Where I live, pedestrians are quite used to it, and just move
left if they are blocking the path.

On 29 Nov 2002 00:35:46 -0800, [email protected] (J Asking) from
http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

>If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
>footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

Do whatever you want with your horn. No one cares.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace clip cuts the tribal and clean Shemps
8:59:25 AM 29 November 2002

"J Asking" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
> footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

These are not analogous relationships.

Assuming you're really talking about a multi-use path, where both cyclists and pedestrians are in
fact entitled to be, then the rules of the path are applicable. What defines "OK" are the posted
rules, plus courtesy and safety considerations. (If it's really a "footpath," then a bike shouldn't
be on it at all.) Signalling peds that you're approaching is often either required or indicated.

On the road, almost everywhere in the US, both the car and the bike are governed by traffic laws.
The cyclist has the same rights and responsibilities as any other vehicle. The car driver who honks
when approaching a cyclist is making it clear that he doesn;'t really understand this, since it's
the responsibility of the passing vehicle to do so safely or not at all, and the rules and methods
for passing are clearly laid out in the traffic code. If a vehicle is passing safely, warning the
vehicle being passed should not be necessary, and may cause confusion.

RichC

For me it's a matter of how the bell or horn are used. In both cases the insistent "get out of my
way" (honk or ring) are obnoxious while the gentle "I'm just letting you know I'm here" version is
ubiquitous.

"J Asking" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
> footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

>If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
>footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

South Carolina law says it pretty well. I'm paraphrasing here, but the law encourages motorists to
give a light tap on the horn some distance before they overtake a cyclist. It specifically says they
should not lay on the horn or use the horn too close to the cyclist because of the danger of
startling the cyclist.

FWIW,

Bob C.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (J Asking) writes:
> If it's OK for cyclists to ring bell on their bicycle as they approach innocent walkers on the
> footpath, then is it OK for car drivers to honk their horns as they approach cyclists?

No. But it's okay for car drivers to ring their bells as they approach cyclists.

cheers, Tom