one size smaller frame size??????

david462

Apr 3, 2006
im purchasing a specialized tarmac expert in the next week or so...

i am 5' 10" and would normally ride a 54cm frame

is it common or benificial to go one size smaller in order to create a more aero position?? or is it more important to go with the size that is normally correct?

Going with a smaller -or bigger, for that matter- size is actually very good if you want to change your bike in a few months' time. I always combine it with (to my wife) "These a$$%#$s! from the bikeshop sold me the wrong size bike!" and get a new one. works everytime.

Seriously, go with the right size....

david462 said:
im purchasing a specialized tarmac expert in the next week or so...

i am 5' 10" and would normally ride a 54cm frame

is it common or benificial to go one size smaller in order to create a more aero position?? or is it more important to go with the size that is normally correct?
Get the bike and size that fits you and the style of riding that you do. For proper weight distribution, at your height a 53-56 is about right, depending on your individual proportions and the individual frame geometry. For experienced racers who will be low on the drops, then a smaller frame size helps get them lower and more aero. It doesn't make sense to get a small frame (and its short head tube) if you then need stem spacers or an uprising stem to get the right fit. You can always get the bars on the larger frame size lower with a more down sloping stem. That said, Specialized bikes have longish head tubes and maybe the smaller frame would work better for you.
Since you are asking the question, I gather your and not super experienced and would therefore advise you to get some experienced help locally to get you fit to the bike.

John M said:
Get the bike and size that fits you and the style of riding that you do. For proper weight distribution, at your height a 53-56 is about right, depending on your individual proportions and the individual frame geometry. For experienced racers who will be low on the drops, then a smaller frame size helps get them lower and more aero. It doesn't make sense to get a small frame (and its short head tube) if you then need stem spacers or an uprising stem to get the right fit. You can always get the bars on the larger frame size lower with a more down sloping stem. That said, Specialized bikes have longish head tubes and maybe the smaller frame would work better for you.
Since you are asking the question, I gather your and not super experienced and would therefore advise you to get some experienced help locally to get you fit to the bike.
trust me, i am experience with bikes. maybe not as much in being fitted to ba bike but i work as a bike tech so i know my stuff. i know what size frame i need.

i was just wondering how common it was that riders use a smaller frame size.

david462 said:
trust me, i am experience with bikes. maybe not as much in being fitted to ba bike but i work as a bike tech so i know my stuff. i know what size frame i need.

i was just wondering how common it was that riders use a smaller frame size.
I'm dying to switch my 54cm to a 52. My size is 54 but I've ridden a couple of 52cm from some of my riding buddies that are around my weight and height and they just feel so much faster and easy to corner... I'm definitely going to a 52
Pic of my 54cm baby www.mikeandleslie.net/smallcarbon.jpg

one more time on this. im hearing more and more people say they ride a 52cm when they are my height and some even an inch taller.

im going to test ride the bike first, of course. but couldnt a possibly 52 be the right size anyway (and not one size smaller)

i also heard specialized frames run a little bigger