One step closer to a helmet cam

Dick

Guest
who hoo! I just scored a dandy camcorder off of ebay that has video in for $162 after shipping. Now
I just need to track down one of those little bullet cameras on the cheap and I'll be well on my way
to to Fagerlin bliss (only a little more ghetto style).

> who hoo! I just scored a dandy camcorder off of ebay that has video in for $162 after shipping.
> Now I just need to track down one of those little bullet cameras on the cheap and I'll be well on
> my way to to Fagerlin bliss (only a little more ghetto style).

I'm selling my whole setup, camera, battery pack and helmet. Let me know if you are interested
--
_________________________

Chris Phillipo wrote:

>>who hoo! I just scored a dandy camcorder off of ebay that has video in for $162 after shipping.
>>Now I just need to track down one of those little bullet cameras on the cheap and I'll be well on
>>my way to to Fagerlin bliss (only a little more ghetto style).
>>

> I'm selling my whole setup, camera, battery pack and helmet. Let me know if you are interested

Oh sure, NOW you tell me.

> > who hoo! I just scored a dandy camcorder off of ebay that has video in for $162 after shipping.
> > Now I just need to track down one of those little bullet cameras on the cheap and I'll be well
> > on my way to to Fagerlin bliss (only a little more ghetto style).
> >

> I'm selling my whole setup, camera, battery pack and helmet. Let me know if you are interested

how much, and how long will you hold it for?
--
~Travis

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote

> how much, and how long will you hold it for?

pssst: buy a suit. it works wonders on job interviews.

Pete

> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote
> > >

> > how much, and how long will you hold it for?
>
> pssst: buy a suit. it works wonders on job interviews.
>
> Pete

Could be, but a decent suit that fits correctly costs quite a bit, and a cheap suit both A.) doesn't
fit correctly, and B.) looks cheap. I have a real nice pair of dress pants and several shirts to
match. hell, i even have some ties, though i have yet to figure out how to tie one _and_ have it
look good. they all seem to have a great big lumpy knot when i get done. so i usually go without the
tie if i can help it.
--
~Travis

Technician thoughtfully penned:

>> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote
>>>>

>>> how much, and how long will you hold it for?
>>
>> pssst: buy a suit. it works wonders on job interviews.
>>
>> Pete
>>

> Could be, but a decent suit that fits correctly costs quite a bit, and a cheap suit both A.)
> doesn't fit correctly, and B.) looks cheap. I have a real nice pair of dress pants and several
> shirts to match. hell, i even have some ties, though i have yet to figure out how to tie one _and_
> have it look good. they all seem to have a great big lumpy knot when i get done. so i usually go
> without the tie if i can help it.

dang, boy, you have an excuse for everything don't you...

> Technician thoughtfully penned:
> >>
> >> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote

> >> pssst: buy a suit. it works wonders on job interviews.
> >>
> >> Pete
> >>

> > Could be, but a decent suit that fits correctly costs quite a bit, and a cheap suit both A.)
> > doesn't fit correctly, and B.) looks cheap. I have a real nice pair of dress pants and several
> > shirts to match. hell, i even have some ties, though i have yet to figure out how to tie one
> > _and_ have it look good. they all seem to have a great big lumpy knot when i get done. so i
> > usually go without the tie if i can help it.
>
> dang, boy, you have an excuse for everything don't you...

Only if facts are misinterpreted as excuses.
--
~Travis

> > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > >

> > > how much, and how long will you hold it for?
> >
> > pssst: buy a suit. it works wonders on job interviews.
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Could be, but a decent suit that fits correctly costs quite a bit, and a cheap suit both A.)
> doesn't fit correctly, and B.) looks cheap. I have a real nice pair of dress pants and several
> shirts to match. hell, i even have some ties, though i have yet to figure out how to tie one _and_
> have it look good. they all seem to have a great big lumpy knot when i get done. so i usually go
> without the tie if i can help it.
> --
> ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Dude, have somebody teach you to tie a tie. It ain't hard, you just need to learn.

Also, a decent suit doesn't have to be too expensive. I got one for $100 that's surprisingly good,
and tailoring was only 10 bux or so. And I'm NOT an easy guy to fit! Look in the discount suit
places, they'll have something in your budget that will fit.

Jon Bond

http://www.bizweb.com/tie/
--
Slacker

> > dang, boy, you have an excuse for everything don't you...
> Only if facts are misinterpreted as excuses.

I have a boss who's forever saying "Don't give me excuses!" She can't seem to tell the difference
between a reason and an excuse. So now we just don't tell her anything and she wonders why she has
no clue what's going on. *****!

Trentus

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Could be, but a decent suit that fits correctly costs quite a bit, and
> > > cheap suit both A.) doesn't fit correctly, and B.) looks cheap. I have
> > > real nice pair of dress pants and several shirts to match. hell, i
even
> > > have some ties, though i have yet to figure out how to tie one _and_ have it look good. they
> > > all seem to have a great big lumpy knot when i get done. so i usually go without the tie if i
> > > can help it.
> > > --
> > > ~Travis
>

> > Dude, have somebody teach you to tie a tie. It ain't hard, you just
need to
> > learn.
> >
> > Also, a decent suit doesn't have to be too expensive. I got one for
$100
> > that's surprisingly good, and tailoring was only 10 bux or so. And I'm
NOT
> > an easy guy to fit! Look in the discount suit places, they'll have something in your budget that
> > will fit.
> >
> > Jon Bond
>

> http://www.bizweb.com/tie/
> --
> Slacker

I do a strange one where you start with the seam out - makes a real nice knot tho.

Jon Bond

On Fri, 16 May 2003 18:30:36 -0400, Technician wrote:

>> dang, boy, you have an excuse for everything don't you...
>
> Only if facts are misinterpreted as excuses.

All the excuses that you've called "facts" are things that people in worse situations than yours
have managed to get past. I knew a guy who had little money beyond the bus fare to get out of town -
he got a Master's degree, a nice house and was working in a white-collar job. His only downfall was
marrying a very beautiful (but demanding) woman. :)

Of course, to climb a hill means one has to start climbing.

In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...
> > > Could be, but a decent suit that fits correctly costs quite a bit, and a cheap suit both A.)
> > > doesn't fit correctly, and B.) looks cheap. I have a real nice pair of dress pants and several
> > > shirts to match. hell, i even have some ties, though i have yet to figure out how to tie one
> > > _and_ have it look good. they all seem to have a great big lumpy knot when i get done. so i
> > > usually go without the tie if i can help it.
> > > --
> > > ~Travis
>

> > Dude, have somebody teach you to tie a tie. It ain't hard, you just need to learn.
> >
> > Also, a decent suit doesn't have to be too expensive. I got one for $100 that's surprisingly
> > good, and tailoring was only 10 bux or so. And I'm NOT an easy guy to fit! Look in the discount
> > suit places, they'll have something in your budget that will fit.
> >
> > Jon Bond
>

> http://www.bizweb.com/tie/
> --
> Slacker

I had no idea there was so many ways to tie a tie. thanks, i have it bookmarked. apparently the one
my father taught me was the "Half-Windsor Knot", though i may try the "Four-In-Hand Knot" as it
looks like a more narrow knot. I suppose now that i am unemployed i should have plenty of time to
practice knots. i know of a couple good shirt that have a collar that fits fairly well (though a
little tight for longer than an interview use). I remember an uncle of mine told me that a cheap
shirt will not fit with a tie comfortably (as is the case with my wallies shirts), but a good shirt
can be worn all day without having to loosen the tie any. It's all good knowledge to know. while i
may become an airplane mechanic (waiting to receive info still), i may retire from that and be an
airplane inspector.

BTW, to whomever suggested i try and get in at an annual inspection (can't remember who, or the
thread it was in). i checked the two closest small airports and found that both were unwilling to
allow me to "job shadow" the inspection due to current security constraints. i checked with Portland
International Jetport as well and got the same line. I would imagine Bangor Intl. is the same story
as it is one of the major hops to cross-atlantic flights.
--
~Travis

> On Fri, 16 May 2003 18:30:36 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
> >> dang, boy, you have an excuse for everything don't you...
> >
> > Only if facts are misinterpreted as excuses.
>
> All the excuses that you've called "facts" are things that people in worse situations than yours
> have managed to get past. I knew a guy who had little money beyond the bus fare to get out of town
> - he got a Master's degree, a nice house and was working in a white-collar job. His only downfall
> was marrying a very beautiful (but demanding) woman. :)
>
> Of course, to climb a hill means one has to start climbing.

You wanna know the real truth? what's one of the biggest things required to get a job, that
depression (or is it ADD...) totally depletes? the answer, motivation. as in i have very little.
somebody with plenty of it can simply say "quick fix, just get off your ass and do it". but what
those folks don't realize is just how hard that is. the climb of motivation is not just a simple
little foothill. think, biking up Mt Everest on a single speed with slicks, no brakes, and no O2
mask for the high altitude. The reason i am motivated enough to go for a bike ride is because there
is a very strong interest. while i want to get a job, and know i have to, for some reason there is
something that holds me back so the motivation kicks in and puts up a wall. i have managed to jump
high enough to throw an application over the wall, and maybe yell over it to check on the jobs, but
the wall still stands. It is very unfortunate, but this is something i will have to figure out for
myself. only i can tell me what is holding me back (but unfortunately i don't seem to be releasing
that information). It is just one part of the constant internal struggle that seems to justify some
to dub me psycho, crazy, pathetic, or otherwise.

It has been a personal goal for about three years now to find out what holds me back. the best i
have come up with is that i have to find out what job truly interests me. it may be something
totally off the wall from my current ideas, but i have to try. that's why i decided on a change of
intended career. perhaps my interest in planes, flying, and working on mechanical things will be
interest enough to allow me to pursue this job. So far i have tried going for the following jobs
only to find i wasn't interested enough.

firefighter police man teacher something in computers carpenter (after my father) construction
(after my grand father) pediatrician emt

and several more i can't think of. The list keeps growing, but i have to find something pretty
quick as my student load has gone to collection 3 times now (and got deferred each time due to
_no money_).

For some, this may answer a lot of questions, for others it may generate more, and still others
simply don't care anyway. the point is, it is my problem, i have to find my own answer. While others
are free to offer suggestions to help, it is truly upon me to find the magic answer, and when i do,
i will no doubt pursue it with a desire stronger than i ever could imagine.
--
~Travis

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > dang, boy, you have an excuse for everything don't you...
> > Only if facts are misinterpreted as excuses.
>
> I have a boss who's forever saying "Don't give me excuses!" She can't seem to tell the difference
> between a reason and an excuse. So now we just don't tell her anything and she wonders why she has
> no clue what's going on. *****!
>
> Trentus

Don't tell me that she follows that up by saying " Give me solutions!". I had a boss like that
once and just about killed her. I swear she'd say it at least 5 times a day everyday. Drove me
mad, it did.
--
Westie "Was always a problem child"

Technician wrote:

> Could be, but a decent suit that fits correctly costs quite a bit, and a cheap suit both A.)
> doesn't fit correctly, and B.) looks cheap. I have a real nice pair of dress pants and several
> shirts to match. hell, i even have some ties, though i have yet to figure out how to tie one _and_
> have it look good. they all seem to have a great big lumpy knot when i get done. so i usually go
> without the tie if i can help it.

****, and you wonder why you don't get jobs...

a) Get something that's close to your size, and get it tailored to fit you.
b) You can still get suits for a good price that don't look really cheap. You just need to have a
hunt round and go for something plain in dark grey or dark blue.
c) Even a cheap suit makes a better impression than trousers and a shirt with no tie. IIRC, there's
some research somewhere that says an interviewer will have more or less made up their mind about
employing someone within the first 10 seconds of meeting them, or something. The point is, first
impressions really do count. If people turn up for an interview with me not dressed up in a suit
they put themselves at a serious disadvantage. If they can't put the effort in to wear a suit to
the interview, then what's their effort going to be like in the job?
d) I realise it's expensive, but look at it as an investment. $100 on a suit could make you $20k
plus within a year.
e) Penny's right, you do have an excuse for everything. It's easier for you to justify why not to do
something than to actually do something that will benefit you. The tie is a classic case in
point. You're not naive enough to think that it won't be beneficial to you, but you'd rather go
to an interview without one than spend an hour learning how to

sake, do yourself a favour and teach yourself how to do a Windsor knot:
http://www.fashionwindows.com/visualmerchandising/8011windsorknot.asp

bomba thoughtfully penned:
> Technician wrote:
>>
> a) Get something that's close to your size, and get it tailored to fit you. b) You can still get
> suits for a good price that don't look really cheap. You just need to have a hunt round and go
> for something plain in dark grey or dark blue.
> c) Even a cheap suit makes a better impression than trousers and a shirt with no tie. IIRC,
> there's some research somewhere that says an interviewer will have more or less made up their
> mind about employing someone within the first 10 seconds of meeting them, or something. The
> point is, first impressions really do count. If people turn up for an interview with me not
> dressed up in a suit they put themselves at a serious disadvantage. If they can't put the
> effort in to wear a suit to the interview, then what's their effort going to be like in the
> job? d) I realise it's expensive, but look at it as an investment. $100 on a suit could make
> you $20k plus within a year.

I can't refrain from this... if one is any good at second hand shopping there are beeyootiful
designer suits to had for just dollars.... if you get really lucky someone just your size gave away
6 jackets just waiting for you to find them.

Penny

Technician wrote:

> I had no idea there was so many ways to tie a tie. thanks, i have it bookmarked. apparently the
> one my father taught me was the "Half-Windsor Knot", though i may try the "Four-In-Hand Knot" as
> it looks like a more narrow knot.

IMO, you should go for a wider knot. It's a sartorial thing...

> I suppose now that i am unemployed i should have plenty of time to practice knots. i know of a
> couple good shirt that have a collar that fits fairly well (though a little tight for longer than
> an interview use). I remember an uncle of mine told me that a cheap shirt will not fit with a tie
> comfortably (as is the case with my wallies shirts), but a good shirt can be worn all day without
> having to loosen the tie any.

Not true. It's not about the price of the shirt but its design. Proper work shirts have a neck size
measured in inches that increment in half inch intervals. Get one that properly fits you - anyone in
a shirt department will help you.

Whatever you do, don't wear a casual shirt (ie, one that hasn't been specifically designed to
integrate with a tie) with a tie. You will look a **** and might as well write "I live in a trailer"
on your forehead.

While we're here, a couple of other rules that you should know about.

Shirts: Always buy cotton. Learn to iron a shirt properly (Google). Oxford shirts (those with a
button-down collar) are not supposed to be worn with a tie. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but
good info to know. Look for something with bones. These are plastic inserts that go in the collar
tips to help retain their shape. All work shirts should have these. Patterned shirts (checks,
stripes, etc) are fashionable, but for someone who never wears ties, the potential to **** up the
shirt/tie combo is high. Plain shirts are a good way to start your collection. White shirts are a
bit 'schoolboy', but you can definitely go with something pale. Light blue is a good option because
you can wear it with any suit and you have a lot of options for ties. Don't put pens in your top
pocket - unless you intend finishing off the ensemble with a courdroy jacket and elbow patches...
Ties: Never, ever, ever, ever wear a 'comedy' tie. Having a picture of Homer Simpson or South Park
characters on your tie does not mark you out as someone with a sense of humour, it marks you out as
a c**t. Same goes for socks. The tip of your tie should sit at the top of your belt buckle (always
wear a belt) whilst standing. The knot should be firm against the collar. Shiny polyester ties
generally look cheap. If you can stretch the budget a little, woven silk shows class. Go for
something of a relatively thick fabric. Thin printed silk ties have a tendency to twist and the
knots end up tiny. Go for something of a medium width. Darker colours to oppose your light shirt,
with small patterning, checks or stripes matching the shirt colour, is a winner. If you're choosing
a tie, take along the shirt that you're intending to wear it with to make sure it matches. Go and
have a look at http://www.thomaspink.com and http://www.ctshirts.co.uk They both match their shirts
up with ties and it should give you an idea of what goes with what. Something like this would be
great for an interview: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdId=SSPPBL____&CurrentCate-
gory=Home%7cMen%7cColour+Plain+Blue

> Whatever you do, don't wear a casual shirt (ie, one that hasn't been specifically designed to
> integrate with a tie) with a tie. You will look a **** and might as well write "I live in a
> trailer" on your
forehead.

> While we're here, a couple of other rules that you should know about.
>
> Shirts: Always buy cotton. Learn to iron a shirt properly (Google). Oxford shirts (those with a
> button-down collar) are not supposed to be worn with a tie. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but
> good info to know. Look for something with bones. These are plastic inserts that go in the collar
> tips to help retain their shape. All work shirts should have
these.
> Patterned shirts (checks, stripes, etc) are fashionable, but for someone who never wears ties, the
> potential to **** up the shirt/tie combo is high. Plain shirts are a good way to start your
> collection. White shirts are a bit 'schoolboy', but you can definitely go with something pale.
> Light blue is a good option because you can wear it with any suit and you have a lot of options
> for ties. Don't put pens in your top pocket - unless you intend finishing off the ensemble with a
> courdroy jacket and elbow patches... Ties: Never, ever, ever, ever wear a 'comedy' tie. Having a
> picture of Homer Simpson or South Park characters on your tie does not mark you out as someone
> with a sense of humour, it marks you out as a c**t. Same goes for socks. The tip of your tie
> should sit at the top of your belt buckle (always wear a belt) whilst standing. The knot should be
> firm against the collar. Shiny polyester ties generally look cheap. If you can stretch the budget
> a little, woven silk shows class. Go for something of a relatively thick fabric. Thin printed silk
> ties have a tendency to twist and the knots end up tiny. Go for something of a medium width.
> Darker colours to oppose your light shirt, with small patterning, checks or stripes matching the
> shirt colour, is a winner. If you're choosing a tie, take along the shirt that you're intending to
> wear it with to make sure it matches. Go and have a look at http://www.thomaspink.com and
> http://www.ctshirts.co.uk They both match their shirts up with ties and it should give you an idea
> of what goes with what. Something like this would be great for an interview:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdId=SSPPBL____&CurrentCategory=Home%7cMen%7cColour-
+Plain+Blue

oohh, Bomba goes GQ.... we had **no ** idea. Now you just have to do something with that hair...

<gdr...>

penny