One step closer to a single speed.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    well, when i went to adjust the front derailleur cable tension (was a little slack), i backed out
    the cable clamp screw, and to my horror, it just spun around without backing out. after quite a
    bit of frustration trying to get the screw out (thinking maybe just the screw is stripped), i gave
    up. so i just adjusted the lower limit to center the derailleur cage over the small ring and
    called it good.

    Actually it is not really a surprise given my luck today. got 4 letters from places i have applied
    to. they all were worded differently, but nonetheless, they were all "Thank you for applying, but
    fu** you" (not exact words of course).

    So you know what, this day can't possibly get any worse, so i say, fu** it, i'm going for a ride. at
    least i have the option to make it better.

    When you think about it, it is rather amusing that i seem to be having a string of bad luck all in
    one day (note to self, make sure cell phone battery is charged, you may need it).
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Tags:

  2. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hey Travis, dont lose heart. I remember after graduating it took 5 months to get an interview! I got
    all those letters replying in the negative, but sometimes it is better just to know (it sucks not
    ever hearing back). After some time, and hundreds of resumes sent, I now have a great job. Itll
    happen, just keep at it and dont lose heart. In the meantime, do what I did and get a job you are
    more than qualified for. Thats easier said than done, but you will get a job like that sooner, and
    it will give you more time to focus on the job you want. Of course dont tell THEM that heh.

    "Technician" <[email protected]ospam.megalink.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > well, when i went to adjust the front derailleur cable tension (was a little slack), i backed out
    > the cable clamp screw, and to my horror, it just spun around without backing out. after quite a
    > bit of frustration trying to get the screw out (thinking maybe just the screw is stripped), i gave
    > up. so i just adjusted the lower limit to center the derailleur cage over the small ring and
    > called it good.
    >
    > Actually it is not really a surprise given my luck today. got 4 letters from places i have applied
    > to. they all were worded differently, but nonetheless, they were all "Thank you for applying, but
    > fu** you" (not exact words of course).
    >
    > So you know what, this day can't possibly get any worse, so i say, fu** it, i'm going for a ride.
    > at least i have the option to make it better.
    >
    > When you think about it, it is rather amusing that i seem to be having a string of bad luck all in
    > one day (note to self, make sure cell phone battery is charged, you may need it).
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  3. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    Hey Travis, I agree wholeheartedly with what Jason said. How is the overall job market where you
    live? Would you consider moving if you found a good job? If so, then that expands your options. You
    could do the monster.com thing. Also, most people are not willing to pack up and move for a job, so
    many prospective employers would be impressed with the ambition of someone who is.

    Of course you do not have to tell them that you are looking for a job in Boulder or Portland (OR, or
    ME) because the riding is good there. :)

    -Dave

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Dave Stocker <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Hey Travis, I agree wholeheartedly with what Jason said. How is the overall job market where you
    > live? Would you consider moving if you found a good job? If so, then that expands your options.
    > You could do the monster.com thing. Also, most people are not willing to pack up and move for a
    > job, so many prospective employers would be impressed with the ambition of someone who is.
    >
    > Of course you do not have to tell them that you are looking for a job in Boulder or Portland (OR,
    > or ME) because the riding is good there. :)
    >
    > -Dave

    relocating for a job is one of those cases where you have to have money to make money. I would be
    willing to relocate upon finding a job, if either they shipped my stuff, and paid my way down, or if
    i had a job already where i could save up some money for relocating.

    The job market in this area is pretty slim pickings, and nobody wants people with no related job
    experience. and because the job market is do low, most all of them only pay minimum wage, or
    slightly above.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  5. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >

    > relocating for a job is one of those cases where you have to have money to make money. I would be
    > willing to relocate upon finding a job, if either they shipped my stuff, and paid my way down, or
    > if i had a job already where i could save up some money for relocating.

    Too many excuses Travis. I've been out of work for 8 months, have a mortgage, car payment, student
    loan and am ready to move at the drop of a hat.

    Gary in VA

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Gary in VA <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
    >
    > > relocating for a job is one of those cases where you have to have money to make money. I would
    > > be willing to relocate upon finding a job, if either they shipped my stuff, and paid my way
    > > down, or if i had a job already where i could save up some money for relocating.
    >
    > Too many excuses Travis. I've been out of work for 8 months, have a mortgage, car payment, student
    > loan and am ready to move at the drop of a hat.
    >
    > Gary in VA

    and how do you plan to fund the move?

    Let me base examples. for this example, lets say i was moving to your neck of the woods, and had a
    job waiting for me there.

    According to Yahoo, that would be about 800 miles. ok, so for the trip down, assuming i did it in 1
    trip (yahoo estimates 12 hours), that would include 1 meal for lunch. we'll say $5 for that.

    And i will need gas for the trip down. my car gets about 10 miles to the gallon, and it is about a
    10 gallon tank. so that's 100 miles to a tank. last time i gassed up, it took $13.75 to fill the
    tank, so rounding to $14, and multiply it by the total mileage, that's $112. so the trip costs $117.

    Now, when i get there, i will need an apartment. i have never rented an apartment, so these are
    rough guesses. ok, figuring on a decent sized apartment (kitchen/eating area/living area with a
    bathroom and bedroom). so figure on $200/month maybe. now i think they require a down payment up
    front for the first month. for this budget, i will figure on no phone for the first week until i get
    paid (cell phone will work, though the roaming charges will be steep). so that brings it up to $317.

    Now, for that first week, i will need food and at least 1 tank of gas, and food. i can live on
    pop-tarts for breakfast, so what, $5 for a 12 pack, and $14 for gas. then for the other two meals, i
    figure $5 each per day (may have more or less depending on the day, just a rough figure). so i
    arrive saturday to have time for settling in, and just need a supper then. and figuring on a
    paycheck on friday (hand delivered to me. figure extra week or two for mailed checks), so meals up
    to friday would run about $65, and better add $25 for unscheduled "happenings". this brings the cost
    up to $421.

    This doesn't include any utilities at the apartment, or cable TV, or internet. say nothing about if
    i require a moving trailer (i got a trailer hitch on my car, but when i stand on it it sags the
    suspension pretty good so it would have to be low tongue weight).

    Now, how much do i _have_. in checking, i have $25 that's holding the account open (would most
    likely change banks when i get there anyway), in misc cash, i might have $6. my stocks don't count
    as the commission to sell them would cost more then they are worth. so i have $31. that's a
    difference of $390.

    I'm not making excuses. i have thought this over several times. i have to first get a job to make
    money to move to get a better job. at the moment, i am looking at that first step. i have stopped
    looking for a career, and started looking more for a job that pays enough that i can pay bills, and
    save toward something bigger. Trust me, being OCD, i tend to plan things out quite obsessively
    (though there is always the chance i miss something).

    I'm sure some will argue that things above may be more or less than estimated, but the fact still
    stands, i would need quite a bit more money than i have now to relocate. I highly doubt that i would
    find many jobs where they would pay me relocation expenses, get me an apartment set up, and have
    every thing all taken care of so i could in fact relocate at the drop of a hat.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > Gary in VA <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
    >>
    >>> relocating for a job is one of those cases where you have to have money to make money. I would
    >>> be willing to relocate upon finding a job, if either they shipped my stuff, and paid my way
    >>> down, or if i had a job already where i could save up some money for relocating.
    >>
    >> Too many excuses Travis. I've been out of work for 8 months, have a mortgage, car payment,
    >> student loan and am ready to move at the drop of a hat.
    >>
    >> Gary in VA
    >>

    > and how do you plan to fund the move?

    let the whining and excuses begin....

    > Let me base examples. for this example, lets say i was moving to your neck of the woods, and had a
    > job waiting for me there.
    >
    > According to Yahoo, that would be about 800 miles. ok, so for the trip down, assuming i did it
    > in 1 trip
    ahem, you could get rid of the cell phone for starters.. I am amazed at how many people tthink it's
    a nececssity like food...

    <snip> yawn.

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > > Gary in VA <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > >> Too many excuses Travis. I've been out of work for 8 months, have a mortgage, car payment,
    > >> student loan and am ready to move at the drop of a hat.
    > >>
    > >> Gary in VA
    > >>

    > > and how do you plan to fund the move?
    >
    > let the whining and excuses begin....
    >

    > > Let me base examples. for this example, lets say i was moving to your neck of the woods, and had
    > > a job waiting for me there.
    > >
    > > According to Yahoo, that would be about 800 miles. ok, so for the trip down, assuming i did it
    > > in 1 trip
    > ahem, you could get rid of the cell phone for starters.. I am amazed at how many people tthink
    > it's a nececssity like food...

    uh, no, i can't. it would cost $175 to cancel the contract, and as it is, i ain't paying the bill
    anyway. my parents are because it was their idea for me to get it in the first place, and they
    didn't want me to not have it anymore.

    and the fact that you pawn it off as a mere excuse only implies that you can't comprehend the very
    clear logic within. if there is a way for me to travel 800 miles and have a living space there for
    only $31, i'd like to hear it. and a card board box is not an option, neither is living out of my
    car (not enough room for starters).

    Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a former teacher of mine. she could not
    comprehend the grey area. everything is black and white to her. after my mother spoke to the
    superintendent, this teacher no longer worked for that school district (my mother seems to have
    quite an influence at schools. something about her being a disability advocate for ADD, and
    traveling the state giving speeches, essentially turning me into a poster child).

    My suggestion to you is to re-read what i wrote and pick out, and understand the logic within. it is
    quite clear. disregarding it as excuses means only that you did not understand it.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a former teacher of mine. she could not
    > comprehend the grey area. everything is black and white to her.

    Do or do not, there is no try...

    after my mother spoke to the superintendent, this
    > teacher no longer worked for that school district (my mother seems to have quite an influence at
    > schools. something about her being a disability advocate for ADD, and traveling the state giving
    > speeches, essentially turning me into a poster child).
    >
    > My suggestion to you is to re-read what i wrote and pick out, and understand the logic within. it
    > is quite clear. disregarding it as excuses means only that you did not understand it.

    like I said, *yawn*. More than once in my life, I've thrown everything in my car, ( if it didn't'
    fit it didn't go) bummed some gas money, driven 1000+ miles, crashed on some one's floor, got a job,
    got an advance and went on with my life. What's so hard about that?

    time to ride...

    p.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > > > Gary in VA <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > > > and how do you plan to fund the move?
    > >
    > > let the whining and excuses begin....
    > >

    > > > Let me base examples. for this example, lets say i was moving to your neck of the woods, and
    > > > had a job waiting for me there.
    > > >
    > > > According to Yahoo, that would be about 800 miles. ok, so for the trip down, assuming i did it
    > > > in 1 trip
    > > ahem, you could get rid of the cell phone for starters.. I am amazed at
    how
    > > many people tthink it's a nececssity like food...
    > >

    > uh, no, i can't. it would cost $175 to cancel the contract, and as it is, i ain't paying the bill
    > anyway. my parents are because it was their idea for me to get it in the first place, and they
    > didn't want me to not have it anymore.
    >
    > and the fact that you pawn it off as a mere excuse only implies that you can't comprehend the very
    > clear logic within. if there is a way for me to travel 800 miles and have a living space there for
    > only $31, i'd like to hear it. and a card board box is not an option, neither is living out of my
    > car (not enough room for starters).
    >
    > Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a former teacher of mine. she could not
    > comprehend the grey area. everything is black and white to her. after my mother spoke to the
    > superintendent, this teacher no longer worked for that school district (my mother seems to have
    > quite an influence at schools. something about her being a disability advocate for ADD, and
    > traveling the state giving speeches, essentially turning me into a poster child).
    >
    > My suggestion to you is to re-read what i wrote and pick out, and understand the logic within. it
    > is quite clear. disregarding it as excuses means only that you did not understand it.

    Tell you what Trav, do yourself and us all a favour - quit with all these self justifying posts, and
    quit with the whining ones too. If you don't keep on whining, no one is gonna expect you to try and
    justify it and your other actions, and I'm sure I don't speak for myself alone when I say SHUT THE

    Thanks for listening.

    Shaun aRe

  11. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > > Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a former teacher of mine. she could not
    > > comprehend the grey area. everything is black and white to her.
    >

    > Do or do not, there is no try...

    A-ha, Tylers word is spreading!

  12. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Gary in VA <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
    > >
    > > > relocating for a job is one of those cases where you have to have
    money
    > > > to make money. I would be willing to relocate upon finding a job, if either they shipped my
    > > > stuff, and paid my way down, or if i had a job already where i could save up some money for
    > > > relocating.
    > >
    > > Too many excuses Travis. I've been out of work for 8 months, have a mortgage, car payment,
    > > student loan and am ready to move at the drop of
    > > hat.
    > >
    > > Gary in VA
    > >

    > and how do you plan to fund the move?
    >
    > Let me base examples. for this example, lets say i was moving to your neck of the woods, and had a
    > job waiting for me there.
    >
    > According to Yahoo, that would be about 800 miles. ok, so for the trip down, assuming i did it in
    > 1 trip (yahoo estimates 12 hours), that would include 1 meal for lunch. we'll say $5 for that.
    >
    > And i will need gas for the trip down. my car gets about 10 miles to the gallon, and it is about
    > a 10 gallon tank. so that's 100 miles to a tank. last time i gassed up, it took $13.75 to fill
    > the tank, so rounding to $14, and multiply it by the total mileage, that's $112. so the trip
    > costs $117.

    10mpg with a 10 gallon tank? What kind of car is this? (little car with really crappy mileage?) Gas
    money. That is all you need.

    Hell...you don't even need that. Sell that POS car, and use the money to move. Greyhound to your new
    location, and *ride your bike* everywhere until you can get a new car.

    > Now, when i get there, i will need an apartment. i have never rented an apartment, so these are
    > rough guesses.

    No. ExtendedStay hotel until you get your 1st paycheck. THEN think about an apt.

    > ok, figuring on a decent sized apartment (kitchen/eating area/living area with a bathroom and
    > bedroom). so figure on $200/month maybe.

    $200/month? BWAHAHAHAHA. You need to look again.

    > now i think they require a down payment up front for the first month.

    Not necessarily. Complexes usually have a quite low security deposit. Sometimes, even 1st month
    rent free.

    > for this budget, i will figure on no phone for the first week until i get paid (cell phone will
    > work, though the roaming charges will be steep). so that brings it up to $317.

    Lose the cell phone.

    > Now, for that first week, i will need food and at least 1 tank of gas, and food. i can live on
    > pop-tarts for breakfast, so what, $5 for a 12 pack, and $14 for gas. then for the other two meals,
    > i figure $5 each per day (may have more or less depending on the day, just a rough figure). so i
    > arrive saturday to have time for settling in, and just need a supper then. and figuring on a
    > paycheck on friday (hand delivered to me. figure extra week or two for mailed checks), so meals up
    > to friday would run about $65, and better add $25 for unscheduled "happenings". this brings the
    > cost up to $421.

    $10 of bread and PBJ will last you the week. You take your bike and RIDE to work if you have no
    gas money.

    > This doesn't include any utilities at the apartment, or cable TV, or internet. say nothing about
    > if i require a moving trailer (i got a trailer hitch on my car, but when i stand on it it sags the
    > suspension pretty good so it would have to be low tongue weight).

    No trailer. All you take is some clothes and your bike. Everything else can wait.

    > Now, how much do i _have_. in checking, i have $25 that's holding the account open (would most
    > likely change banks when i get there anyway), in misc cash, i might have $6. my stocks don't count
    > as the commission to sell them would cost more then they are worth. so i have $31.

    So take a temp job. Oh wait...you *almost* had one, but turned it down because they use the wrong
    type of oil filter, and it would be beneath you.

    > that's a difference of $390.

    I see a difference of 2 tanks of gas, and $10 in peanut butter. I'm quite sure you could float a
    loan of $50 from your parents.

    > I'm not making excuses.

    Yes you are. You are single. Free and unfettered. No real bills, no committments. There is literally
    nothing holding you to a specific location, except the comfort of your parents basement.

    Moving out of your parents house with little or no support system is scarey. Being an adult
    is scarey.

    Go get scared.

    Pete

  13. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >
    >>Technician thoughtfully penned:
    >>
    >>>Gary in VA <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    >>>and how do you plan to fund the move?
    >>
    >>let the whining and excuses begin....
    >>

    >>>Let me base examples. for this example, lets say i was moving to your neck of the woods, and had
    >>>a job waiting for me there.
    >>>
    >>>According to Yahoo, that would be about 800 miles. ok, so for the trip down, assuming i did it
    >>>in 1 trip
    >>
    >>ahem, you could get rid of the cell phone for starters.. I am amazed at how many people tthink
    >>it's a nececssity like food...
    >>

    > uh, no, i can't. it would cost $175 to cancel the contract, and as it is, i ain't paying the bill
    > anyway. my parents are because it was their idea for me to get it in the first place, and they
    > didn't want me to not have it anymore.
    >
    > and the fact that you pawn it off as a mere excuse only implies that you can't comprehend the very
    > clear logic within. if there is a way for me to travel 800 miles and have a living space there for
    > only $31, i'd like to hear it. and a card board box is not an option, neither is living out of my
    > car (not enough room for starters).
    >
    > Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a former teacher of mine. she could not
    > comprehend the grey area. everything is black and white to her. after my mother spoke to the
    > superintendent, this teacher no longer worked for that school district (my mother seems to have
    > quite an influence at schools. something about her being a disability advocate for ADD, and
    > traveling the state giving speeches, essentially turning me into a poster child).
    >
    > My suggestion to you is to re-read what i wrote and pick out, and understand the logic within. it
    > is quite clear. disregarding it as excuses means only that you did not understand it.

    No, Travis. Penny understood it perfectly well, as did I. Her point is, where there's a will,
    there's a way. Unfortunately, you seem to spend most of your energy justifying your choices. And
    that's exactly what they are - choices.

    You've said yourself you spend an obscene amount of time on the computer, then turn around and
    complain about a lack of money. Hmm... Golly, could there be a connection? Hell, my 12 year old can
    earn 50 bucks in a week just by going around knocking on the doors of neighbors with tall grass and
    asking if they'd like their lawn mowed. <Insert excuse about the lack of a lawn mower here>

    Quit whining. Get off your ass, quit whacking off to your computer and get a job. ANY job.

    Oh yeah, and by the way, this mom of yours... The one who went to bat for you and got some poor
    schmuck of a teacher fired... Is this the same "maternal genetic donor" you were whining about ON
    MOTHER'S DAY? Using the $2,000 computer *she* paid for, that she had the nerve to expect you to pay
    her back for?

    You're a real piece of work...

    Kathleen

  14. Bigfootdenny

    Bigfootdenny Guest

    "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote :

    <snip>

    >Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a >former teacher of mine. she could not
    >comprehend the grey area.

    Oh no, Travis... you sound like a Democrat...

    Become a Republican -- and "do unto yourself what others should not have to do for you"....

    -BigfootDenny

  15. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician thoughtfully penned:
    > > Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a former teacher of mine. she could not
    > > comprehend the grey area. everything is black and white to her.
    >

    > Do or do not, there is no try...

    Then you have nothing of value to say. you can not give advice on black and white without taking
    into account the grey area, because i do not fit a black or white profile.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    BigfootDenny <denhall*NOSPAM*@ismi.net> spoke thusly...

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote :
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a >former teacher of mine. she could not
    > >comprehend the grey area.
    >
    > Oh no, Travis... you sound like a Democrat...
    >
    > Become a Republican -- and "do unto yourself what others should not have to do for you"....
    >
    > -BigfootDenny

    oh look, their coming out of the woodwork now.

    I am an unregistered republican. I feel if i didn't earn it, why should i get it? i qualify for at
    least 4 government help programs, including unemployment compensation. but i didn't earn either so i
    have not, nor will i apply for them.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  17. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > and the fact that you pawn it off as a mere excuse only implies that you can't comprehend the very
    > clear logic within.

    I think you lost most of us when your excuse for not changing oil at Wal-mart was because you didn't
    approve of their oil filters. Ever rethink your position on that topic?

  18. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    John Harlow thoughtfully penned:
    >> and the fact that you pawn it off as a mere excuse only implies that you can't comprehend the
    >> very clear logic within.
    >
    > I think you lost most of us when your excuse for not changing oil at Wal-mart was because you
    > didn't approve of their oil filters. Ever rethink your position on that topic?

    wasnt' that working in the parts department?

    ps

  19. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > BigfootDenny <denhall*NOSPAM*@ismi.net> spoke thusly...
    > >
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote :
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > >Quite frankly Penny, you are beginning to sound like a >former teacher of mine. she could not
    > > >comprehend the grey area.
    > >
    > > Oh no, Travis... you sound like a Democrat...
    > >
    > > Become a Republican -- and "do unto yourself what others should not have to do for you"....
    > >
    > > -BigfootDenny
    > >

    > oh look, their coming out of the woodwork now.
    >
    > I am an unregistered republican. I feel if i didn't earn it, why should i get it? i qualify for at
    > least 4 government help programs, including unemployment compensation. but i didn't earn either so
    > i have not, nor will i apply for them.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Hilarious, self-righteous Ass-hat.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  20. Gary in VA wrote:
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
    >
    >>relocating for a job is one of those cases where you have to have money to make money. I would be
    >>willing to relocate upon finding a job, if either they shipped my stuff, and paid my way down, or
    >>if i had a job already where i could save up some money for relocating.
    >

    > Too many excuses Travis. I've been out of work for 8 months, have a mortgage, car payment, student
    > loan and am ready to move at the drop of a hat.

    You could always sell a bike or two ;-)