One technical question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by GREEN Composite, Aug 3, 2013.

1. GREEN Composite

GREEN Composite New Member

As few breaking parts as possible and least possible service needed,we would use Shimano 8-speed internal hub gears (135 mm ODL), BUT without external chain tensioner. Would that be a problem for the frame sets (vertical drop outs needed)?
    I guess the O.D.L is not a problem but perhaps our wish NOT to use external chain tensioner.

Tags:

2. stevenmour

stevenmour New Member

I think here's need external chain tensioner to save and long life of gear hub

3. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

You can use a chain tensioner if you want to have a double crank on front. I dont see any other reason to use it unless there is a performance issue?

Most of the frames I seen which are built for internal geared hubs do not have provisions for a chain tensioner (or deraileur).

As far for the dropouts maybe it doesnt matter how they are arranged as long as the chain tension remains correct? (better friction arrangments on the quick - release or bolts - bolt contact surfaces?)

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

If you have vertical dropouts, getting the correct chain tension usually means mucking about with half-links and suffering limitations in which chain wheels/sprockets you can use. Not impossible, but a bit tedious. Horizontal dropouts or chain tensioners make it ever so much easier.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. There are CHAIN TENSIONERS which simply attach to the chainstay ...

• Basically, they are comprised of a single pulley wheel which is attached to a bracket which you then move forward-or-backward along the stay to adjust the chain's tension.