One technical question

GREEN Composite

Jul 14, 2013
As few breaking parts as possible and least possible service needed,we would use Shimano 8-speed internal hub gears (135 mm ODL), BUT without external chain tensioner. Would that be a problem for the frame sets (vertical drop outs needed)?
I guess the O.D.L is not a problem but perhaps our wish NOT to use external chain tensioner.

Originally Posted by GREEN Composite .

As few breaking parts as possible and least possible service needed,we would use Shimano 8-speed internal hub gears (135 mm ODL), BUT without external chain tensioner. Would that be a problem for the frame sets (vertical drop outs needed)?
I guess the O.D.L is not a problem but perhaps our wish NOT to use external chain tensioner.
You can use a chain tensioner if you want to have a double crank on front. I dont see any other reason to use it unless there is a performance issue?

[SIZE= 13px]Most of the frames I seen which are built for internal geared hubs do not have provisions for a chain tensioner (or deraileur).[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13px]As far for the dropouts maybe it doesnt matter how they are arranged as long as the chain tension remains correct? (better friction arrangments on the quick - release or bolts - bolt contact surfaces?)[/SIZE]

Originally Posted by Volnix .

As far for the dropouts maybe it doesnt matter how they are arranged as long as the chain tension remains correct? (better friction arrangments on the quick - release or bolts - bolt contact surfaces?)
If you have vertical dropouts, getting the correct chain tension usually means mucking about with half-links and suffering limitations in which chain wheels/sprockets you can use. Not impossible, but a bit tedious. Horizontal dropouts or chain tensioners make it ever so much easier.

FWIW. There are CHAIN TENSIONERS which simply attach to the chainstay ...

• Basically, they are comprised of a single pulley wheel which is attached to a bracket which you then move forward-or-backward along the stay to adjust the chain's tension.