One tight tire!

I recently had to replace a tire on an old(Suntour freewheel)700c
wheel.I got the old one off OK but I could get the new one on for the
life of me.So I took it into a shop and the guy manaaged to install it
with a great deal of difficulty.It was only one day until I had another
flat and I couldn't get the darn tire off.Are there any tricks for
getting a tight fit on?What could be causing this?I know the tire
should be pinched to give it more slack but that was inadequate in this
case.Thanks.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I recently had to replace a tire on an old(Suntour freewheel)700c
> wheel.I got the old one off OK but I could get the new one on for the
> life of me.So I took it into a shop and the guy manaaged to install it
> with a great deal of difficulty.It was only one day until I had another

(etc. etc)

Same thing with 700Cx28 Specialized Armadillo and Mavic MA3 rim. It took a
great deal of brute force to put it all together. I cannot even imagine
patching a tube at the road side. Hopefully the tire seem to be pretty
bombproof.

Cheers,

Tomek Li

[email protected] wrote:
> I recently had to replace a tire on an old(Suntour freewheel)700c
> wheel.I got the old one off OK but I could get the new one on for the
> life of me.So I took it into a shop and the guy manaaged to install it
> with a great deal of difficulty.It was only one day until I had another
> flat and I couldn't get the darn tire off.Are there any tricks for
> getting a tight fit on?What could be causing this?I know the tire
> should be pinched to give it more slack but that was inadequate in this
> case.Thanks.

Some tires just have smaller beads. Annoying, isn't it.

Deflate the tube. Put the tire and tube together on the rim, leaving off
a portion opposite the valve. Position the valve at the top of the
wheel, in front of your hips and the opposite side on the ground. Grab
the tire in both hands and work your hands down the wheel, opposite each
other, stretching the tire towards the portion that is off the rim.

Also, you may want to find a thinner tube.

Some talcum or similar powder may help to lubricate the stretching
process I described.

--
Tom Reingold
Noo Joizy

[email protected] wrote:

> I recently had to replace a tire on an old(Suntour freewheel)700c
> wheel.I got the old one off OK but I could get the new one on for the
> life of me.So I took it into a shop and the guy manaaged to install it
> with a great deal of difficulty.It was only one day until I had another
> flat and I couldn't get the darn tire off.Are there any tricks for
> getting a tight fit on?What could be causing this?I know the tire
> should be pinched to give it more slack but that was inadequate in this
> case.Thanks.

Lots of talc on the tube. Most of the friction when fitting is tube on
rim, not tyre on rim, and talc really helps. Avoid tyre levers if at
all possible.

[email protected] wrote:
> I recently had to replace a tire on an old(Suntour freewheel)700c
> wheel.I got the old one off OK but I could get the new one on for the
> life of me.So I took it into a shop and the guy manaaged to install it
> with a great deal of difficulty.It was only one day until I had another
> flat and I couldn't get the darn tire off.Are there any tricks for
> getting a tight fit on?What could be causing this?I know the tire
> should be pinched to give it more slack but that was inadequate in this
> case.Thanks.

Get a new (different) tire, a fit that tight just isn't worth the bother.