One victory over the Pharma Cartel

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by John, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    "IAHF LIST: Today in London I witnessed a historic victory over the Pharma Cartel, and would like to
    thank those of you who so generously donated to ANH's legal campaign. "

    "We still have some way to go to pay legal bills to date, so please continue to give whatever you
    can to pay the best legal team in Europe which was there for you today and are still owed fees.
    Donations can be made via http://www.alliance-natural-health.org "

    -----Original Message----- From: IAHF.COM [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004
    12:56 AM To: [email protected] Subject: ANH OBTAINS REFERENCE TO EUROPEAN COURT OF JUSTICE ON
    FOOD SUPPLEMENTS BAN

    IAHF WEBMASTER: Breaking News, Whats New, All Countries, What to Do

    IAHF LIST: Today in London I witnessed a historic victory over the Pharma Cartel, and would like to
    thank those of you who so generously donated to ANH's legal campaign.

    We can now apply for interim relief to stop the directive, pending the hearing we will now be
    getting in the European Court of Justice at a later, as yet undetermined date.

    ANH's attorney Conor Quigley QC delivered a flawless argument to which we could see the Judge
    nodding his assent, which gave us all a real feeling of hope going into the lunch break. The real
    hub of the case was the recognition that the directive produced by the European Commission went
    much further than it needed to to achieve what it set out to do, which was harmonize products
    across Europe.

    (In other words, the ban of around 5000 products containing vitamins and minerals in the UK alone,
    could well be illegal- not to mention the blockade on products being exported from the United
    States.) What ANH now will be doing is proving in the EU Court of Justice that the Directive is
    invalid because its illegally brought in the bans on the back of a harmonizing directive.

    The result if ANH wins at the next stage will be that any country in the EU can continue using
    products that go beyond the restrictions imposed by the positive list. So places like the UK,
    Holland, Sweden and Ireland can remain safe havens for innovative products.

    The fascinating thing is that people in Denmark, Germany, France, Spain and Italy, all of which have
    highly restrictive regimes, are now getting behind ANH because they value access to innovative
    products and nutritional therapies.

    We may have had a victory today, but this is the beginning of a long road, and its going to be won
    by consumers around the world taking control of these issues by getting behind such organizations as
    IAHF, ANH, Mayday, La Leva di Archimede, National Health Federation, and others which are untainted
    by Pharma Influence.

    We still have some way to go to pay legal bills to date, so please continue to give whatever you can
    to pay the best legal team in Europe which was there for you today and are still owed fees.
    Donations can be made via http://www.alliance-natural-health.org

    See press release below- I'll be in the UK for another few days, and will provide additional
    information shortly, including photos which I'll be uploading to the IAHF website.

    John Hammell, reporting live from the UK

    -----------------------
    ANH OBTAINS REFERENCE TO EUROPEAN COURT OF JUSTICE ON FOOD SUPPLEMENTS BAN

    The landmark cases brought by the Alliance for Natural Health and two UK industry Associations have
    been successful both in getting permission for Judicial Review and obtaining a reference to the
    European Court of Justice in their challenge to the legality of the Food Supplements Directive ban
    on nutrients.

    Mr Justice Richards today gave judgment and emphasised that the reference to the European Court
    should be made without delay.

    This is a test case on the proper scope of the legislative powers of the Community Legislator
    over member states and has far reaching implications for health and consumer and business freedom
    of choice.

    The industry and complimentary health organisations around Europe are hopeful that the European
    Court of Justice will give its ruling prior to the imposition of the ban which comes into on 1
    August 2005, on up to 270 forms of vitamins and minerals that are currently available in food
    supplements sold in markets such as the UK, Sweden, Ireland and The Netherlands.

    CONTACT DETAILS for further information: Dr Robert Verkerk Executive Director Tel: 01252 371 275
    (general enquiries) Tel: 0771 484 7225 (direct) E-mail: [email protected]

    David Hinde, Solicitor Legal Director Tel: 07958 548 186 (direct) E-mail: [email protected]
    health.org

    ANH LANDMARK LEGAL CHALLENGE TO EU FOOD SUPPLEMENTS BAN

    Dame Judi Dench, Dame Joan Plowright and Bianca Jagger are among thousands of consumers all over
    Europe supporting the Alliance for Natural Health ("ANH") in its application for Judicial Review of
    the Food Supplements Directive, which is to be heard in the High Court on Friday 30 January. Unless
    challenged successfully, the Directive will ban, from 2005, thousands of safe products which have
    been available for years.

    ANH Executive Director, Dr Robert Verkerk, says: "People have had enough - this Directive is
    supposed to be promoting trade in food supplements in the EU but actually has the reverse effect. It
    will prohibit from sale many of the more advanced, safe supplements currently available in the UK,
    Sweden, Ireland and Holland, forcing these countries to comply with a much more restrictive regime
    more typical of the existing regimes in countries like Germany and France. The governments of these
    countries are openly hostile to advanced food supplements. We go to court next Friday to commence a
    test case to address this anomaly with a goal of obtaining a legal regime which befits the 21st
    Century. We want to ensure that the Directive supports the role of nutrition at the heart of
    healthcare policy.

    We readily endorse the notion of reasonable and proportionate legislation for natural products. But
    moves to ban around 300 of the 420 or so vitamin and mineral forms currently on the market must be
    resisted, particularly when this will prevent the sale of some of the most beneficial food
    supplements that have a long and unblemished track record of safety."

    The ANH is supported by consumers, practitioners, and manufacturers and retailers of innovative food
    supplements, across 43 countries. Over 80% of funds raised to-date for the challenge have come from
    the end-users of these innovative food supplements, who are greatly concerned that the Directive
    will deprive them of access to advanced, bioavailable and effective products of their choice.

    David Hinde, Solicitor and Legal Director of the ANH adds: "We have lined up a legal team of the
    highest calibre with barristers from Brick Court Chambers and solicitors at the Simkins Partnership.
    ANH's challenge is based on EU constitutional law grounds. We say that the ban on food supplements
    imposed by the Directive is quite unnecessary in order to facilitate the internal market and thus
    goes beyond the legal powers of the Community legislator.

    This case may well prove to be a landmark decision on the interface between EU legislative powers,
    the sovereignty of Member States and the protection of individual and companies' rights. We support
    appropriate legislation but the Directive in its present form is unworkable and will have a
    catastrophic effect on the emerging market for advanced high potency and effective food
    supplements."

    Erica Murray of the Irish Association of Health Stores who has worked closely with ANH gathering
    commercial data from Ireland, comments: "This Directive needs to be modified if it's going to deal
    fairly with the thousands of smaller businesses involved with innovative natural health products
    across Europe. Otherwise it will give a huge competitive advantage to the big companies, which
    dominate mass-market sales of lower potency vitamin and mineral supplements from supermarkets and
    pharmacies. We have lodged voluminous evidence from the UK, Sweden, Ireland and Italy to show that
    the Directive - if unchallenged - will have dire consequences for hundreds of smaller businesses in
    the UK and other parts of Europe."

    Ms Murray adds: "We are pleased to see that other associations have now also seen the light. In
    particular, we welcome the decision of the UK trade associations - the National Association of
    Health Stores and the Health Food Manufacturers Association - to mount a parallel challenge. We hope
    Europe gets the message that people want their advanced supplements. More and more people are
    choosing natural products and this freedom of choice should not be denied." ---end.

    BACKGROUND INFORMATION

    Micronutritient deficiencies in the 'typical diet' Although many health authorities continue to
    claim that it is possible to obtain all the nutrients required in a "balanced and varied diet,"
    there is a rapidly growing body of scientific evidence that demonstrates that large groups of people
    do not meet the minimum nutritional requirements established through reference intakes, let alone
    those needed for optimum health. Micronutritional status has been shown to be particularly
    inadequate for particular groups such as the young, elderly, vegans or patients with malabsorption.
    , Many factors contribute to reduced micronutrient intake.

    These include inadequate consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables, increased consumption of
    processed foods, poor dietary choices, lower food intake caused by less active lifestyles and
    inappropriate cooking methods. Furthermore, intensive training regimes, stress, smoking and exposure
    to environmental chemicals places additional demands on the body and increases the requirement for
    particular micronutrients. For example, that a smoker needs to consume 4 times the RDA of Vitamin C
    in order to have the same plasma level of Vitamin C as a non-smoker.

    National nutrition surveys undertaken in the UK have shown that that large minorities are not
    reaching their dietary targets for Reference Nutrient Intakes (RNIs). , , In the case of the
    elderly, inadequate intake of vitamin D, magnesium, Vitamin K and copper have been of
    particular concern.9

    In a major UK survey of dietary habits of 4 to 18 year-olds, it has been shown that the most
    commonly consumed foods are white bread, savoury snacks, chips, biscuits, potatoes and chocolate
    confectionery. Additionally, it was found that boys eat, by weight, nearly four times as many
    biscuits than leafy green vegetables, while girls eat, by weight, more than four times as much
    sweets and chocolate than leafy green vegetables.

    The same survey also revealed that 91% of girls aged 4-6 years failed to reach the RNI for zinc (a
    key mineral required for the immune system); while 97 % of girls aged 15 to 18 years did not reach
    the RNI for magnesium, 73% did not reach the RNI for zinc, and 53 % did not reach the RNI (200 ìg)
    for folic acid, despite recent studies that demonstrate that intakes well over 400 ìg are likely to
    be required to minimise risk of neural tube defects.

    The case for supplementation There has been a rapid recent expansion of the body of scientific
    evidence in peer-reviewed journals which demonstrates that use of food supplements can improve
    overall nutritional status and key bio-markers for health as well as reduce risk of chronic
    diseases.11

    However, many of the large scale clinical studies carried out to investigate the effects of nutrient
    supplementation have involved single or limited numbers of nutrients, often at suboptimal doses.
    Such studies are likely to underestimate the benefits of supplementation, given that many nutrients
    function synergistically.

    A major review of studies on the relationships between vitamin intake and various diseases published
    between 1966 and 2002 demonstrated that suboptimal levels of vitamin intake are associated with
    increased risk of contracting a variety of chronic diseases, including cancer, heart disease and
    osteoporosis. The authors of this study concluded that many physicians may be unaware of common food
    sources of vitamins or may be unsure which vitamins they should recommend for their patients and
    given the current status of scientific knowledge it may be prudent for most adults to supplement
    their diet with a daily multivitamin.11

    A study which followed 11,178 people between the ages of 67 and 105 over the period 1984 - 1993
    concluded that the overall risk of death was reduced by 42% for those who took higher dose
    supplements of vitamins C and E.

    It was demonstrated conclusively following a randomised double-blind prevention trial across 7
    countries that women who took supplements containing 400 ìg folic acid reduced the risk of having
    babies with neural tube defects such as spina bifida by some 72%.

    In a very large study of 88,756 women from the Nurses' Health Study who were free of cancer in 1980
    and provided updated assessments of diet, including multivitamin supplement use, from 1980 to 1994,
    were followed through for colon cancer. It was found that long term use (over 15 years use), but not
    short-term use (less than 4 years use) of multivitamins containing folic acid markedly reduced (ca.
    5-fold) the frequency of colon cancer.

    In a further epidemiological study involving 87,245 female nurses, it was found, after adjustment
    for age and smoking, that long-term Vitamin E supplementation alone was associated with a 9%
    reduction in heart disease. Vitamin C (1000 mg /day) and E (800 IU /day) supplements have been shown
    to significantly reduce the development of arteriosclerosis.

    In a clinical intervention study (CHAOS) of 2002 coronary patients by Cambridge University
    scientists, supplementation of up to 800 IU vitamin E (in the á-tocopherol form) per day for over
    two years was associated with reductions in the frequencies of heart attacks by as much as 75%.

    It has been shown that long-term micronutritional deficiencies cause damage to DNA much in the same
    way as radiation and such oxidative stress is likely to contribute to the development of cancer. For
    Health Freedom, John C. Hammell, President International Advocates for Health Freedom 556 Boundary
    Bay Road Point Roberts, WA 98281-8702 USA http://www.iahf.com [email protected] 800-333-2553 N.America
    360-945-0352 World

    Tags:

  2. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "IAHF LIST: Today in London I witnessed a historic victory over the Pharma Cartel, and would like
    > to thank those of you who so generously donated to ANH's legal campaign. "

    Why is this a victory over the Pharma cartel? Ilena, what do you see as the difference between those
    who manufacture and sell supplements, and those who manufacture and sell supplements? Very often
    they are one and the same.

    Peter Moran

> [...]

    > supplementation alone was associated with a 9% reduction in heart disease.
    > Vitamin C (1000 mg /day) and E (800 IU /day) supplements have been shown
    > significantly reduce the development of arteriosclerosis.
    >
    > In a clinical intervention study (CHAOS) of 2002 coronary patients by
    > Cambridge University scientists, supplementation of up to 800 IU vitamin E
    > (in the á-tocopherol form) per day for over two years was associated with
    > reductions in the frequencies of heart attacks by as much as 75%.
    >
    > It has been shown that long-term micronutritional deficiencies cause
    damage
    > to DNA much in the same way as radiation and such oxidative stress is
    likely
    > to contribute to the development of cancer.
    > For Health Freedom,
    > John C. Hammell, President
    > International Advocates for Health Freedom

  3. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "Peter Moran" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:...
    > "john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "IAHF LIST: Today in London I witnessed a historic victory over the
    Pharma
    > > Cartel, and would like to thank those of you who so generously donated
    > > ANH's legal campaign. "
    >
    > Why is this a victory over the Pharma cartel? Ilena, what do you see as the difference between
    > those who manufacture and sell supplements, and
    those
    > who manufacture and sell supplements? Very often they are one and the same.
    >
    > Peter Moran

    OK, work it out and answer the question I intended. An amazingly apt slip of the keyboard.

    Peter Moran