ong Reach Side Pull Brakes

Cranky Rider

Jun 6, 2011
I am building up a bike and the frame builder recommends the Tekro R559 bolt-on side-pulls but some friends advise steering clear of Tekro. Any input as to the advice to steer clear or an alternate brake suggestion?

I have Tektro 520 dual pivot brakes on one of my bikes. No problems what so ever. I use Shimano 7900 pads on all my brakes. I find the Tektro pads kind of plasticky. The shimano pads are much more grippy with better stopping power.
So with that said the brakes themself are fine the pads could be improved.

Originally Posted by Cranky Rider .

I am building up a bike and the frame builder recommends the Tekro R559 bolt-on side-pulls but some friends advise steering clear of Tekro. Any input as to the advice to steer clear or an alternate brake suggestion?
Hi Cranky Rider, have a look at the Shimano R450 57mm Brakes, here is an example ... http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/bike-parts-Shimano-R450-57mm-Brakes/SHIMBRAR340000000000 ... they are a long reach dual pivot design, which I believe is equivalent to Tiagra or 105 :)

Originally Posted by Cranky Rider .

Tektro makes some decent brakes. Coupling them with some good third party brake pads would provide you with solid braking. The Shimanos will work well, too. For pads you'd do well with Swissstop, Kool Stop, Ultegra, or Dura Ace pads.