Ongoing flats

watson10

May 23, 2003
I'm not sure if anyone can shed some light on my problem. I bought two new (cheap in price and quality) rims - 700c - to match up with my kevlar belted tires. After riding only 30 miles I got a flat, I wanted to see if my flats were puncture or a pinch flats. It looked like a motion / pinch flat but I could really tell. For sure it wasn't a puncture. I marked the location on the tube to see if I could figure out what was rubbing, it looked possible that where the rim was joined together could have caused the friction so we emory clothed the area and installed a new tube. Well, after ten miles anothe flat in the same spot. Can anyone give me a clue as to what to look for to identify the casue of these flats?

thanks,

tom

If the punctures on the inside of the tube and resembles snake bite then its a pinch flat.

Could be some crappy rim tape (the tape that goes on the inside of the rim, to prevent the spokes puncturing the tube.)

Thanks for the answers. The cause is still a mystery. I guess it must be a pinch flat but I was riding smooth surfaces (no potholes to cause a pinch).

Thanks, Tom

After getting new wheels last year, I kept getting flats on the hub side of the tube. Turns out that some very small metal filings left over by the manufacturer were in the rim and caught up in the rim tape. It was very frustrating. New rim tape and a thorough cleaning of the rim did the trick.

I had a similar problem when i got a new bike couple years ago. I found the tyres were too tight and after a ride the tyre just went down. Once the tube was out i found a snake bite. Whith new tyres on I've had no problems. Somebody in my club had the same tyres and they kept getting flats as well due to the same problem.

Could you explain what you mean by the tyres being to tight?

BTW, I lived in L'Pool for 7 years

Ta,

Tom

I think ive used the wrong word, i ment to say the tyres were that tight i had to use a crow bar to get them on. that was the only problem i could see with the tyres. it was only with hutchinsons excel i had the problem . I i've had several other makes of tyres since and no problems (touch wood).