Ongooing nauseua, help!

R

Richard

Hi. I am 17 year old guy. I currently live at home, and begin university in a couple of weeks. I
don't smoke, I don't do drugs, and I've hardly been drinking at all lately for reasons given below.

Last August I got sick. I felt sick most mornings, and for a week or two I was too unwell to attend
school before lunchtime. I vomited a few times, and felt generally lousy for a couple of weeks. I
don't get sick often; only perhaps once or twice a year. Despite eating what I want (mostly healthy)
and not excerising, I am in excellent physical shape (fast metabolism or something).

Ever since I got sick, I've had recurring nausea (and acompanying diorreha), most frequently
triggered after a large and/or fatty meal (or even the smallest amount of alcohol). It is also
triggered when I am nervous, especially when it's cold. Fizzy drinks don't help either. I still feel
sick first-thing most mornings, but not as seriously as in last August. I burp lots, and
occasionally have trouble swallowing. The nausea occurs most frequently first thing in the morning,
and late at night.

After most meals, all I want to do is sit down for a few minutes. Twice I've (recently) vomited at
parties (one after a beer or two, one without - I know the alcohol was not entirely to blame), where
I have had nausea creep up on me. Nausea is possibly worse than vomiting itself; I feel sick,
depressed, irritable and completely unmotivated. All else around me ceases to matter; all I want to
do is remain completely still and stop moving, thinking and speaking. People close to me (ie,
friends standing around etc) annoy me; I just want them all to shut up and leave me alone.

I've seen my doctor a few times about this whole thing, and each time I've come away with
(progressively strong) antacids. Suggested causes for the nausea include gastro reflux, a hiatus
hernia and even glandular fever. Currently I have a jar of pills called Ranitidine; I understand
it's an antacid stronger than Gaviscon (the last one my doc prescribed). It doesn't seem to be
doing much.

This whole nausea thing has not interfered with my work or study. It has however interfered with my
social life; I can't stay out late at night with my friends, and even tonight I had to leave them
early to go home, because I felt rotten.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before, or better yet, can offer a solution to my problem? It
has been ongoing for 6 months now, and I'm uttlerly sick of it. Help!

PS: I HAVE been to see my doctor about it. Read the post. :p He also had me take a blood test
(twice, once in August, once a couple of weeks ago); both came back negative for everything they
tested for.

On 2004-02-18 17:36:25 -0500, [email protected] (Richard) said:
>
> Ever since I got sick, I've had recurring nausea (and acompanying diorreha), most frequently
> triggered after a large and/or fatty meal (or even the smallest amount of alcohol).

Biliary disease (e.g., gallbladder) until proven otherwise. Pay another visit to your doc.

Good luck.