Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Penguin, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Penguin

    Penguin Guest

    Hi,

    In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that
    take "onion seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds,
    and from reading through old usenet posts and searching the
    web, I've gathered that they're the same thing.

    However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for
    both onion seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this mean?
    I'm guessing I could just use the "onion seeds" I picked up
    at the indian grocery store for both quantities, but I
    really like to know what the recepie writer was *actually*
    going for. Is there another kind of spice other than nigella
    seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?

    Thanks! Ken

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    PenguiN wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that
    > take "onion seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds,
    > and from reading through old usenet posts and searching
    > the web, I've gathered that they're the same thing.
    >
    > However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for
    > both onion seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this
    > mean? I'm guessing I could just use the "onion seeds" I
    > picked up at the indian grocery store for both quantities,
    > but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
    > *actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other
    > than nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?

    Yes; seeds of the onion plant. They look very much like
    nigella seeds.

    -Bob

  3. "PenguiN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that
    > take "onion seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds,
    > and from reading through old usenet posts and searching
    > the web, I've gathered that they're the same thing.
    >
    > However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for
    > both onion seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this
    > mean? I'm guessing I could just use the "onion seeds" I
    > picked up at the indian grocery store for both quantities,
    > but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
    > *actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other
    > than nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?
    >
    > Thanks! Ken

    I presume we are talking about little black, angular seeds
    (nigella sativa) I know these as black cumin which is also
    quite confusing. Apparently there are many names in
    different countries and as (as usual) the names can often
    refer to other things. I am not aware of anything else that
    is also called "onion seed", maybe the author actually meant
    the seeds of the onion or it was a mistake.

    David

  4. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
    > I presume we are talking about little black, angular seeds
    > (nigella
    sativa)
    > I know these as black cumin which is also quite confusing.
    > Apparently
    there
    > are many names in different countries and as (as usual)
    > the names can
    often
    > refer to other things. I am not aware of anything else
    > that is also
    called
    > "onion seed", maybe the author actually meant the seeds of
    > the onion or it was a mistake.

    I say just gring her up and sprinkle her in as is. Her
    kids, too.

    <but frankly, I can't stand her... she's another one of
    those "take two cups of leftover lobster" people