Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds

Penguin

Guest
Hi,

In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that
take "onion seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds,
and from reading through old usenet posts and searching the
web, I've gathered that they're the same thing.

However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for
both onion seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this mean?
I'm guessing I could just use the "onion seeds" I picked up
at the indian grocery store for both quantities, but I
really like to know what the recepie writer was *actually*
going for. Is there another kind of spice other than nigella
seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?

Thanks! Ken

PenguiN wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that
> take "onion seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds,
> and from reading through old usenet posts and searching
> the web, I've gathered that they're the same thing.
>
> However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for
> both onion seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this
> mean? I'm guessing I could just use the "onion seeds" I
> picked up at the indian grocery store for both quantities,
> but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
> *actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other
> than nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?

Yes; seeds of the onion plant. They look very much like
nigella seeds.

-Bob

"PenguiN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that
> take "onion seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds,
> and from reading through old usenet posts and searching
> the web, I've gathered that they're the same thing.
>
> However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for
> both onion seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this
> mean? I'm guessing I could just use the "onion seeds" I
> picked up at the indian grocery store for both quantities,
> but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
> *actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other
> than nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?
>
> Thanks! Ken

I presume we are talking about little black, angular seeds
(nigella sativa) I know these as black cumin which is also
quite confusing. Apparently there are many names in
different countries and as (as usual) the names can often
refer to other things. I am not aware of anything else that
is also called "onion seed", maybe the author actually meant
the seeds of the onion or it was a mistake.

David

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
> I presume we are talking about little black, angular seeds
> (nigella
sativa)
> I know these as black cumin which is also quite confusing.
> Apparently
there
> are many names in different countries and as (as usual)
> the names can
often
> refer to other things. I am not aware of anything else
> that is also
called
> "onion seed", maybe the author actually meant the seeds of
> the onion or it was a mistake.

I say just gring her up and sprinkle her in as is. Her
kids, too.

<but frankly, I can't stand her... she's another one of
those "take two cups of leftover lobster" people