Onion Soup

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    but right now caesar salad sounds good.

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    > soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    > been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour. I
    > grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll put
    > the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and cheese then
    > cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. I'm not
    > sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup but right now
    > caesar salad sounds good.

    So?

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    > soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    > been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    > I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    > put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    > cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    > browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    > but right now caesar salad sounds good.

    I concur with the Caeser salad. :) It's what I would have suggested.

    I love a good french onion soup!

    What stock did you use? I use beef.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  4. ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    > soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    > been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    > I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    > put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    > cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    > browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    > but right now caesar salad sounds good.

    Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and peas. One
    of Steven's favorites.

    Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  5. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    >>soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    >>been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    >>I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    >>put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    >>cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    >>browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    >>but right now caesar salad sounds good.

    > I concur with the Caeser salad. :) It's what I would have suggested.
    >
    > I love a good french onion soup!
    >
    > What stock did you use? I use beef.

    I used beef stock made with roasted beef bones. It gives the soup a
    really nice richness. The original recipe called for chicken stock. I
    think beef goes better with the onions. I sauteed the onions and
    deglazed the pan with just a little red wine then poured that into the
    soup as well. It just rounds out the flavour :)

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    > >>soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    > >>been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    > >>I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    > >>put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    > >>cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    > >>browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    > >>but right now caesar salad sounds good.

    > > I concur with the Caeser salad. :) It's what I would have suggested.
    > >
    > > I love a good french onion soup!
    > >
    > > What stock did you use? I use beef.

    > I used beef stock made with roasted beef bones. It gives the soup a
    > really nice richness. The original recipe called for chicken stock. I
    > think beef goes better with the onions. I sauteed the onions and
    > deglazed the pan with just a little red wine then poured that into the
    > soup as well. It just rounds out the flavour :)

    I concur! I'd never use chicken stock for onion soup. :)

    The prep sounds delightful. I also pre-cook the onions in butter and
    olive oil in the CI skillet.

    I use a mix of red, white and yellow onions. A bit of scallion and
    garlic go well too along with a hint of fresh ginger.

    For wine, I'd use burgundy or merlot.

    I've recently run into a chinese place that makes hot and sour soup
    using a beef stock instead of chicken. My GODS that soup is good!!!!!!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  7. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > posted
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    >> soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    >> been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    >> I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    >> put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    >> cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    >> browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    >> but right now caesar salad sounds good.
    >>

    > Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and peas. One
    > of Steven's favorites.
    >
    > Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all leftovers and
    raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts, Triscuits, three
    cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry juice, milk, kosher dill
    pickles, and three kinds of cheese.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > > posted
    > > news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > >> We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
    > >> soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
    > >> been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
    > >> I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
    > >> put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
    > >> cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
    > >> browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
    > >> but right now caesar salad sounds good.
    > >>

    > > Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and peas. One
    > > of Steven's favorites.
    > >
    > > Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    > I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all leftovers and
    > raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts, Triscuits, three
    > cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry juice, milk, kosher dill
    > pickles, and three kinds of cheese.

    Make an egg drop soup with the cambell's soup and serve with a side of
    crackers, cheese and pickles. :)

    Comfort food! :)

    Then go shopping ya bum!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  9. "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    >> posted
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of
    >>> onion soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for
    >>> on top has been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed
    >>> full of flavour. I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result
    >>> than toasting. I'll put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with
    >>> the grilled bread and cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese
    >>> is bubbly and lightly browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll
    >>> serve along with the soup but right now caesar salad sounds good.
    >>>

    >> Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and
    >> peas. One of Steven's favorites.
    >>
    >> Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    > I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all
    > leftovers and raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts,
    > Triscuits, three cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry
    > juice, milk, kosher dill pickles, and three kinds of cheese.

    So, the snacking has been going well ;)

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  10. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:Xns97[email protected]
    >> > ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    >> > posted
    >> > news:[email protected]:

    >> > Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and peas.
    >> > One
    >> > of Steven's favorites.
    >> >
    >> > Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    >> I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all leftovers
    >> and
    >> raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts, Triscuits, three
    >> cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry juice, milk, kosher dill
    >> pickles, and three kinds of cheese.
    >>

    > Make an egg drop soup with the cambell's soup and serve with a side of
    > crackers, cheese and pickles. :)
    >
    > Comfort food! :)
    >
    > Then go shopping ya bum!

    I need beef. And, The Big Shopping happens tomorrow.

  11. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > posted news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    >>> posted
    >>> news:[email protected]:

    >>> Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and
    >>> peas. One of Steven's favorites.
    >>>
    >>> Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    >> I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all
    >> leftovers and raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts,
    >> Triscuits, three cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry
    >> juice, milk, kosher dill pickles, and three kinds of cheese.

    > So, the snacking has been going well ;)
    >
    > Michael

    Yeah, but if I haven't had real vegetables in two days. If that's not fixed
    by tomorrow, I'm gonna die.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all leftovers
    > >> and
    > >> raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts, Triscuits, three
    > >> cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry juice, milk, kosher dill
    > >> pickles, and three kinds of cheese.
    > >>

    > > Make an egg drop soup with the cambell's soup and serve with a side of
    > > crackers, cheese and pickles. :)
    > >
    > > Comfort food! :)
    > >
    > > Then go shopping ya bum!

    > I need beef. And, The Big Shopping happens tomorrow.

    I understand...

    Beef is good!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > > posted news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all
    > >> leftovers and raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts,
    > >> Triscuits, three cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry
    > >> juice, milk, kosher dill pickles, and three kinds of cheese.

    > > So, the snacking has been going well ;)
    > >
    > > Michael

    > Yeah, but if I haven't had real vegetables in two days. If that's not fixed
    > by tomorrow, I'm gonna die.

    Nah.
    You'll just get constipated.

    A bunch of triscuits should fix that?
    --
    Peace, Om.

  14. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    >> > posted news:[email protected]:

    >> > So, the snacking has been going well ;)
    >> >
    >> > Michael

    >> Yeah, but if I haven't had real vegetables in two days. If that's not
    >> fixed
    >> by tomorrow, I'm gonna die.
    >>

    > Nah.
    > You'll just get constipated.
    >
    > A bunch of triscuits should fix that?
    > --
    > Peace, Om.

    Not triscuits. Oatmeal, band practice, shredded wheat, chicken wings, and
    sex.

  15. Jude

    Jude Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > I love a good french onion soup!
    >
    > What stock did you use? I use beef.
    > --

    Anyone familiar with a smallish southern chain called Jason's Deli? We
    ate there last week; I was VERY excited to find their French Onion Soup
    was maked as a vagetarian item. I double checked when I ordered and
    they told me yes, it was veg. My taste buds didn't believe it - tasted
    just the way french onion soup always has, and I know that's a beef
    broth base. It was delicious, and I have a feeling it might make me a
    regualr customer there.....at least while we';re having another snap of
    winter!

  16. OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties
    >> > and posted
    >> > news:[email protected]:

    >> > Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and
    >> > peas. One of Steven's favorites.
    >> >
    >> > Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

    >> Someone wrote this:
    >>
    >> I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all
    >> leftovers and raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts,
    >> Triscuits, three cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry
    >> juice, milk, kosher dill pickles, and three kinds of cheese.
    >>

    > Make an egg drop soup with the cambell's soup and serve with a side of
    > crackers, cheese and pickles. :)
    >
    > Comfort food! :)
    >
    > Then go shopping ya bum!

    LOL... sounds like a midnight snack to me ;)

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  17. "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > Yeah, but if I haven't had real vegetables in two days. If that's not
    > fixed by tomorrow, I'm gonna die.

    By all means hit the drive up. I have cravings sometimes. Mine are
    usually not as healthy as Wendys. I don't care what anyone says I still
    like their chilli.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> Yeah, but if I haven't had real vegetables in two days. If that's not
    > >> fixed
    > >> by tomorrow, I'm gonna die.
    > >>

    > > Nah.
    > > You'll just get constipated.
    > >
    > > A bunch of triscuits should fix that?
    > > --
    > > Peace, Om.

    > Not triscuits. Oatmeal, band practice, shredded wheat, chicken wings, and
    > sex.

    The red rice I've been eating this weekend has worked for me... ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > I love a good french onion soup!
    > >
    > > What stock did you use? I use beef.
    > > --

    > Anyone familiar with a smallish southern chain called Jason's Deli? We
    > ate there last week; I was VERY excited to find their French Onion Soup
    > was maked as a vagetarian item. I double checked when I ordered and
    > they told me yes, it was veg. My taste buds didn't believe it - tasted
    > just the way french onion soup always has, and I know that's a beef
    > broth base. It was delicious, and I have a feeling it might make me a
    > regualr customer there.....at least while we';re having another snap of
    > winter!

    Jason's Deli is ok except I prefer to pretty much avoid luncheon meats...
    It's quite easy to make a nice strong veggie stock so you can make your
    own vegetarian onion soup. :)

    What about the cheese tho'? I s'pose Soy Kaas (a soy based "cheese")
    might work, but it still has milk products in it.

    Or just skip the cheese...
    --
    Peace, Om.

  20. OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    >> Not triscuits. Oatmeal, band practice, shredded wheat, chicken wings,
    >> and sex.
    >>

    > The red rice I've been eating this weekend has worked for me... ;-)

    I eat lots of oatmeal. Supposed to be heart healthy ;)

    Michael