Onion Soup

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> I eat lots of oatmeal. Supposed to be heart healthy ;)

I have oatmeal almost every day. A few years ago my blood pressure was a
little high, bordering on needing medication. Since I retired I haven't been
eating all those donuts on coffee breaks, started working out daily, lost
some wight, converted some fat to muscle. My blood pressure dropped and I
have no problem with cholesterol. I also use a fair amount of garlic and
drink red wine.
FWIW, my older brother had a heart attack at 50. He had no blood pressure
problem and no cholesterol problem.

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Then go shopping ya bum!

Shopping is like foreplay. It should be done slowly and deliberately. I had
band practice tonight - no time for a long, sexy shopping trip.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Not triscuits. Oatmeal, band practice, shredded wheat, chicken wings, and
>> sex.
>>

> The red rice I've been eating this weekend has worked for me... ;-)
> --
> Peace, Om.

Oh baby tell me more. <burp>

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
> posted news:[email protected]:
>

>> Yeah, but if I haven't had real vegetables in two days. If that's not
>> fixed by tomorrow, I'm gonna die.

> By all means hit the drive up. I have cravings sometimes. Mine are
> usually not as healthy as Wendys. I don't care what anyone says I still
> like their chilli.
>
> Michael

Of all the fast food places, they're probably the best. I'm not sure that's
saying much, though. Subway's low fat subs aren't too awful, either. If I'm
rushed and I haven't had salad in a day or two, I'll wait for them to ask
what I want with the meat, and tell them to keep piling on the lettuce &
tomatoes & lettuce & peppers & lettuce & onions & peppers & tomatoes etc
etc, until it's almost too big to eat.

It's nice to hear that now your blood pressure is under control.
A proper diet, weight loss, exercise, and salt and alcohol reduction
are often recommended for patients with high blood pressure.
I would like to share a website with you, which contain information
related BP.

http://www.medical-health-care-information.com/encyclopedia/B/High-blood-pressure.asp

Heart attack can occur due to many other reasons. you can learn about
that in the following link:-
http://www.medical-health-care-information.com/encyclopedia/h/Heart-Attack-and-Unstable-Angina.asp

~patches~ wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of
>>> onion soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on
>>> top has been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of
>>> flavour. I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than
>>> toasting. I'll put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the
>>> grilled bread and cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is
>>> bubbly and lightly browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll
>>> serve along with the soup but right now caesar salad sounds good.

>> I concur with the Caeser salad. :) It's what I would have suggested.
>>
>> I love a good french onion soup!
>>
>> What stock did you use? I use beef.

> I used beef stock made with roasted beef bones. It gives the soup a
> really nice richness. The original recipe called for chicken stock. I
> think beef goes better with the onions. I sauteed the onions and
> deglazed the pan with just a little red wine then poured that into the
> soup as well. It just rounds out the flavour :)

Another couple views on onion soup:

Pastorio's French onion soup
*NO* fat used in cooking the onions. Makes for a purer onion flavor.

4 large onions, halved and sliced
1 1/2 quarts of chicken stock
1 1/2 quarts of beef stock
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Marsala wine (or a dry red wine)
Put the onions into a non-stick skillet on very low heat and cook until
well-caramelized (could take an hour), stirring occasionally to prevent
scorching. Meanwhile, put the two stocks on to heat and simmer. Reduce
them by 1/3 to 2 quarts. When the onions are dark brown, dump them into
the stockpot. Add the Worcestershire sauce. Deglaze the skillet with the
wine and pour that into the stock pot. Simmer the soup for about an
hour on low heat, letting it reduce a bit. Serve as usual. It freezes
most wonderfully.

Or get crazy-decadent with this service:
2 slices French bread, grilled or toasted
1 egg
a generous slice of Swiss or provolone cheese
Put a slice of the bread in the bottom of a bowl. Break the egg onto it.
Add hot soup. Top with remaining crouton and cheese, pass under the
broiler to melt and slightly brown the cheese. To eat, poke a hole in
the cheese crouton and stir the egg into the soup. It'll thicken it and
enrich it. Drink a nice red with it and plan on a nap.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> I concur with the Caeser salad. :) It's what I would have suggested.
>>>
>>> I love a good french onion soup!
>>>
>>> What stock did you use? I use beef.

>> I used beef stock made with roasted beef bones. It gives the soup a
>> really nice richness. The original recipe called for chicken stock.
>> I think beef goes better with the onions. I sauteed the onions and
>> deglazed the pan with just a little red wine then poured that into the
>> soup as well. It just rounds out the flavour :)

> Another couple views on onion soup:
>
> Pastorio's French onion soup
> *NO* fat used in cooking the onions. Makes for a purer onion flavor.
>
> 4 large onions, halved and sliced
> 1 1/2 quarts of chicken stock
> 1 1/2 quarts of beef stock
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what was missing! The soup was very good but to me there was a
subtle something missing and I couldn't pin point it. DH didn't notice
as he had two bowls of it. Thanks!

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:
>

> > I eat lots of oatmeal. Supposed to be heart healthy ;)
> >

> I have oatmeal almost every day. A few years ago my blood pressure was a
> little high, bordering on needing medication. Since I retired I haven't been
> eating all those donuts on coffee breaks, started working out daily, lost
> some wight, converted some fat to muscle. My blood pressure dropped and I
> have no problem with cholesterol. I also use a fair amount of garlic and
> drink red wine.
> FWIW, my older brother had a heart attack at 50. He had no blood pressure
> problem and no cholesterol problem.

The Oat Bran is a good idea.
I might go back to it. With regular exercise and oat bran, my total
cholesterol used to be a lot lower.

For your older brother, genetics can play a roll and heart attacks can
be caused by things other than "known" cardiac factors.

Blood clots can form for various reasons.
How active was he? People who drive for a living (truck drivers) can get
blood clots in the legs that then travel upwards and cause heart attacks
and strokes. Sitting or standing too long in one position can also
contribute to that. Office workers who are too sedentary are one good
example. The blood pools in the legs and throws microclots or larger.

Right now my BP is ok and shrimp keeps my HDL up, and low carbing keeps
my triglycerides below 100. LDL's are what I seem to have a problem
with. It only takes minor cheating to drive them back up. :-(
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >> Then go shopping ya bum!

> Shopping is like foreplay. It should be done slowly and deliberately. I had
> band practice tonight - no time for a long, sexy shopping trip.

<lol>
And never, ever shop when you are hungry....... ;-)

What instrument do you play?
Skin flute?

Om -> Ducking and running...
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> Shopping is like foreplay. It should be done slowly and deliberately. I
>> had
>> band practice tonight - no time for a long, sexy shopping trip.
>>

> <lol>
> And never, ever shop when you are hungry....... ;-)
>
> What instrument do you play?
> Skin flute?
>
> Om -> Ducking and running...

Bass guitar, like you've never heard before. I'm channeling Jaco Pastorius.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> >> I concur with the Caeser salad. :) It's what I would have suggested.
> >>
> >> I love a good french onion soup!
> >>
> >> What stock did you use? I use beef.

> > I used beef stock made with roasted beef bones. It gives the soup a
> > really nice richness. The original recipe called for chicken stock. I
> > think beef goes better with the onions. I sauteed the onions and
> > deglazed the pan with just a little red wine then poured that into the
> > soup as well. It just rounds out the flavour :)

> Another couple views on onion soup:
>
> Pastorio's French onion soup
> *NO* fat used in cooking the onions. Makes for a purer onion flavor.
>
> 4 large onions, halved and sliced
> 1 1/2 quarts of chicken stock
> 1 1/2 quarts of beef stock
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 cup Marsala wine (or a dry red wine)
> Put the onions into a non-stick skillet on very low heat and cook until
> well-caramelized (could take an hour), stirring occasionally to prevent
> scorching. Meanwhile, put the two stocks on to heat and simmer. Reduce
> them by 1/3 to 2 quarts. When the onions are dark brown, dump them into
> the stockpot. Add the Worcestershire sauce. Deglaze the skillet with the
> wine and pour that into the stock pot. Simmer the soup for about an
> hour on low heat, letting it reduce a bit. Serve as usual. It freezes
> most wonderfully.

I am going to have to try that!
I usually sautee' in butter and EVOO.

> Or get crazy-decadent with this service:
> 2 slices French bread, grilled or toasted
> 1 egg
> a generous slice of Swiss or provolone cheese
> Put a slice of the bread in the bottom of a bowl. Break the egg onto it.
> Add hot soup. Top with remaining crouton and cheese, pass under the
> broiler to melt and slightly brown the cheese. To eat, poke a hole in
> the cheese crouton and stir the egg into the soup. It'll thicken it and
> enrich it. Drink a nice red with it and plan on a nap.
>
> Pastorio

Thought you were low carbing. <G>
What's with the french bread?????
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Shopping is like foreplay. It should be done slowly and deliberately. I
> >> had
> >> band practice tonight - no time for a long, sexy shopping trip.
> >>

> > <lol>
> > And never, ever shop when you are hungry....... ;-)
> >
> > What instrument do you play?
> > Skin flute?
> >
> > Om -> Ducking and running...

> Bass guitar, like you've never heard before. I'm channeling Jaco Pastorius.

Awesome!!!!! :)

Any music files?
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > <lol>
>> > And never, ever shop when you are hungry....... ;-)
>> >
>> > What instrument do you play?
>> > Skin flute?
>> >
>> > Om -> Ducking and running...

>> Bass guitar, like you've never heard before. I'm channeling Jaco
>> Pastorius.
>>

> Awesome!!!!! :)
>
> Any music files?

Not yet. Our guitarist's manhood depends on being in charge of recording,
something he's really lousy at. Another week or two of dismal failures and
we should have him convinced to hire someone to help us.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Awesome!!!!! :)
> >
> > Any music files?

> Not yet. Our guitarist's manhood depends on being in charge of recording,
> something he's really lousy at. Another week or two of dismal failures and
> we should have him convinced to hire someone to help us.

Digital recording devices are no longer expensive.
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > > I love a good french onion soup!
> > >
> > > What stock did you use? I use beef.
> > > --

> > Anyone familiar with a smallish southern chain called Jason's Deli? We
> > ate there last week; I was VERY excited to find their French Onion Soup
> > was maked as a vagetarian item. I double checked when I ordered and
> > they told me yes, it was veg. My taste buds didn't believe it - tasted
> > just the way french onion soup always has, and I know that's a beef
> > broth base. It was delicious, and I have a feeling it might make me a
> > regualr customer there.....at least while we';re having another snap of
> > winter!
> >

> Jason's Deli is ok except I prefer to pretty much avoid luncheon meats...
> It's quite easy to make a nice strong veggie stock so you can make your
> own vegetarian onion soup. :)
>
> What about the cheese tho'? I s'pose Soy Kaas (a soy based "cheese")
> might work, but it still has milk products in it.
>
> Or just skip the cheese...
> --

Cheese is only a problem if you're vegan. I'm not. But I don't eat
meat, nor do I use beef or chicken products for stock. Makes life hard
- do you KNOW how many places have what-looks-veg soup on their menus,
like broccoli cheese or cream of mushroom, that are actually made with
meat stock? Ya'd think that getting cream of <insert veg here> soup
from a restaurant would be safe. Nope, it ain't!

I make tons of soups at home, but never french onion. I must admit,
about half my sops come from Knorr veg-veg stock cubes or a tsp of
Better than Boullion. I make stock sometimes and jar then freeze it,
but when I run out, I use the cubes. I've made a tamari stock that
comes up real strong and works well for Onion soup, but it's so nice to
have a pace where I can go out and order a cup for lunch!!

PS, Only thing I've eaten at Jsaon's deli is their salad bar and the
onion soup. we don't do lunchmeat, never would have gone in if we
hadn't been treated to lunch there by the future-MIL.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>~patches~ wrote:

>>>I used beef stock made with roasted beef bones. It gives the soup a
>>>really nice richness. The original recipe called for chicken stock. I
>>>think beef goes better with the onions. I sauteed the onions and
>>>deglazed the pan with just a little red wine then poured that into the
>>>soup as well. It just rounds out the flavour :)

>>Another couple views on onion soup:
>>
>>Pastorio's French onion soup
>>*NO* fat used in cooking the onions. Makes for a purer onion flavor.
>>
>>4 large onions, halved and sliced
>>1 1/2 quarts of chicken stock
>>1 1/2 quarts of beef stock
>>1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
>>1/2 cup Marsala wine (or a dry red wine)
>>Put the onions into a non-stick skillet on very low heat and cook until
>>well-caramelized (could take an hour), stirring occasionally to prevent
>>scorching. Meanwhile, put the two stocks on to heat and simmer. Reduce
>>them by 1/3 to 2 quarts. When the onions are dark brown, dump them into
>>the stockpot. Add the Worcestershire sauce. Deglaze the skillet with the
>>wine and pour that into the stock pot. Simmer the soup for about an
>>hour on low heat, letting it reduce a bit. Serve as usual. It freezes
>>most wonderfully.

> I am going to have to try that!
> I usually sautee' in butter and EVOO.
>

>>Or get crazy-decadent with this service:
>>2 slices French bread, grilled or toasted
>>1 egg
>>a generous slice of Swiss or provolone cheese
>>Put a slice of the bread in the bottom of a bowl. Break the egg onto it.
>>Add hot soup. Top with remaining crouton and cheese, pass under the
>>broiler to melt and slightly brown the cheese. To eat, poke a hole in
>>the cheese crouton and stir the egg into the soup. It'll thicken it and
>>enrich it. Drink a nice red with it and plan on a nap.
>>
>>Pastorio

> Thought you were low carbing. <G>
> What's with the french bread?????

Sometimes we feed the body. Sometimes the soul.

Try the soup as written. You'll make noises like Meg Ryan in that movie.

Pastorio

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > Anyone familiar with a smallish southern chain called Jason's Deli? We
> > > ate there last week; I was VERY excited to find their French Onion Soup
> > > was maked as a vagetarian item. I double checked when I ordered and
> > > they told me yes, it was veg. My taste buds didn't believe it - tasted
> > > just the way french onion soup always has, and I know that's a beef
> > > broth base. It was delicious, and I have a feeling it might make me a
> > > regualr customer there.....at least while we';re having another snap of
> > > winter!
> > >

> > Jason's Deli is ok except I prefer to pretty much avoid luncheon meats...
> > It's quite easy to make a nice strong veggie stock so you can make your
> > own vegetarian onion soup. :)
> >
> > What about the cheese tho'? I s'pose Soy Kaas (a soy based "cheese")
> > might work, but it still has milk products in it.
> >
> > Or just skip the cheese...
> > --

> Cheese is only a problem if you're vegan. I'm not. But I don't eat
> meat, nor do I use beef or chicken products for stock. Makes life hard
> - do you KNOW how many places have what-looks-veg soup on their menus,
> like broccoli cheese or cream of mushroom, that are actually made with
> meat stock? Ya'd think that getting cream of <insert veg here> soup
> from a restaurant would be safe. Nope, it ain't!
>
> I make tons of soups at home, but never french onion. I must admit,
> about half my sops come from Knorr veg-veg stock cubes or a tsp of
> Better than Boullion. I make stock sometimes and jar then freeze it,
> but when I run out, I use the cubes. I've made a tamari stock that
> comes up real strong and works well for Onion soup, but it's so nice to
> have a pace where I can go out and order a cup for lunch!!
>
> PS, Only thing I've eaten at Jsaon's deli is their salad bar and the
> onion soup. we don't do lunchmeat, never would have gone in if we
> hadn't been treated to lunch there by the future-MIL.

Swanson's makes a decent veggie broth in the can......
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> >>Another couple views on onion soup:
> >>
> >>Pastorio's French onion soup
> >>*NO* fat used in cooking the onions. Makes for a purer onion flavor.
> >>
> >>4 large onions, halved and sliced
> >>1 1/2 quarts of chicken stock
> >>1 1/2 quarts of beef stock
> >>1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> >>1/2 cup Marsala wine (or a dry red wine)
> >>Put the onions into a non-stick skillet on very low heat and cook until
> >>well-caramelized (could take an hour), stirring occasionally to prevent
> >>scorching. Meanwhile, put the two stocks on to heat and simmer. Reduce
> >>them by 1/3 to 2 quarts. When the onions are dark brown, dump them into
> >>the stockpot. Add the Worcestershire sauce. Deglaze the skillet with the
> >>wine and pour that into the stock pot. Simmer the soup for about an
> >>hour on low heat, letting it reduce a bit. Serve as usual. It freezes
> >>most wonderfully.

> > I am going to have to try that!
> > I usually sautee' in butter and EVOO.
> >

> >>Or get crazy-decadent with this service:
> >>2 slices French bread, grilled or toasted
> >>1 egg
> >>a generous slice of Swiss or provolone cheese
> >>Put a slice of the bread in the bottom of a bowl. Break the egg onto it.
> >>Add hot soup. Top with remaining crouton and cheese, pass under the
> >>broiler to melt and slightly brown the cheese. To eat, poke a hole in
> >>the cheese crouton and stir the egg into the soup. It'll thicken it and
> >>enrich it. Drink a nice red with it and plan on a nap.
> >>
> >>Pastorio

> > Thought you were low carbing. <G>
> > What's with the french bread?????

> Sometimes we feed the body. Sometimes the soul.
>
> Try the soup as written. You'll make noises like Meg Ryan in that movie.

Mmmmmmm... When Harry met Sally? :)

I've been Miss-behavin' lately anyway.
Trying to get back on the wagon...

--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Cheese is only a problem if you're vegan. I'm not. But I don't eat
>> meat, nor do I use beef or chicken products for stock. Makes life hard
>> - do you KNOW how many places have what-looks-veg soup on their menus,
>> like broccoli cheese or cream of mushroom, that are actually made with
>> meat stock? Ya'd think that getting cream of <insert veg here> soup
>> from a restaurant would be safe. Nope, it ain't!

Not if you've ever made your own, yes, they usually start with
chicken broth.

> Swanson's makes a decent veggie broth in the can......

I was wondering if the beefy onion soup was made with broth
made from mushrooms, perhaps? Portabellas? That has a
nice beefy flavor.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Cheese is only a problem if you're vegan. I'm not. But I don't eat
> >> meat, nor do I use beef or chicken products for stock. Makes life hard
> >> - do you KNOW how many places have what-looks-veg soup on their menus,
> >> like broccoli cheese or cream of mushroom, that are actually made with
> >> meat stock? Ya'd think that getting cream of <insert veg here> soup
> >> from a restaurant would be safe. Nope, it ain't!

> Not if you've ever made your own, yes, they usually start with
> chicken broth.
>
> > Swanson's makes a decent veggie broth in the can......

> I was wondering if the beefy onion soup was made with broth
> made from mushrooms, perhaps? Portabellas? That has a
> nice beefy flavor.

Every French onion soup recipe I've ever seen uses beef stock.

Classic French Onion Soup

1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons)
8 cups onions, thinly sliced
3 Tablespoons flour
3 quarts beef stock
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup brandy
1 teaspoon BV meat glaze (or kitchen bouquet, bovril, or oxo, in a
pinch)--optional
grated Gruyere cheese
grated Parmesan cheese
French bread
olive oil
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven and add the onions, stirring
constantly. cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
In the meantime, cut slices of French bread into 1/2 inch pieces and
toast them at 350 degrees in the oven for about 15 minutes--until they
are dry crusts.

When the onions are soft, sprinkle them with flour, stir, then add 2
cups of beef stock and stir until the mixture is thickened. Add the
remaining stock, stir into 1 Tablespoon of salt, the pepper, and the
brandy. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour to an hour. Add
the meat glaze and taste for seasoning.

When you're ready to serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls and
cover each with a thick handful of Gruyere cheese. Top each with a
piece of the toasted bread, which has been drizzled with olive oil.
Sprinkle it with the Parmesan, then run them under a broiler for a few
minutes and carry out to the table. -S-S-