Onion Soup

Nancy Young wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Cheese is only a problem if you're vegan. I'm not. But I don't eat
> >> meat, nor do I use beef or chicken products for stock. Makes life hard
> >> - do you KNOW how many places have what-looks-veg soup on their menus,
> >> like broccoli cheese or cream of mushroom, that are actually made with
> >> meat stock? Ya'd think that getting cream of <insert veg here> soup
> >> from a restaurant would be safe. Nope, it ain't!

> Not if you've ever made your own, yes, they usually start with
> chicken broth.

Actually, mine usually(always) start with veg broth. But since I cook,
I know to ask. My point is simply that most folks who don't eat meat
might look at a menu and see the soups listed: beef barley, chicken
noodle, cream of broccoli, and figure there's one they can eat. I like
menus that denote veg items, or note in the fine print that the soups
are made with chicken base. Not everyone who eats knows how to cook.
(see Food Snob thread.)

> > Swanson's makes a decent veggie broth in the can......

Overall, I like the flavor from the Knorr's cubes, and it's nice to
have a box of 6 cubes in the pantry. Goes a long way, whereas a
half-dozen cans of broth cost more and take up more space. I prefer to
use my homemade, but I use stock a lot - not only for soups but also
for cooking rice, pasta, etc. I wonder if Swanso's is lower sodium than
the Knorr, though? That definitely bothers me.

> I was wondering if the beefy onion soup was made with broth
> made from mushrooms, perhaps? Portabellas? That has a
> nice beefy flavor.

Quite possible. I use portabellos a lot when I want that dark, rich
flavor. I also enhance with worcestershire (yes i know about the
anchovies, we'll discuss that in another thread) and tamari sauce. A
little red wine helps, too. All I nkow is that it's nice to have an
option for convenient and delicious soup that I don't have to make
myslef!

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:41:13 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
>"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> ~patches~ <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
>> posted
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>>> We are having a late dinner tonight. I decided to make a batch of onion
>>> soup this afternoon. The soup is finished and the bread for on top has
>>> been grilled. This is a rich full bodied soup packed full of flavour.
>>> I grill the bread because it gives a nicer result than toasting. I'll
>>> put the soup into oven proof bowls, top with the grilled bread and
>>> cheese then cook in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly
>>> browned. I'm not sure what kind of salad I'll serve along with the soup
>>> but right now caesar salad sounds good.
>>>

>> Sounds wonderful. I'm making Salisbury Steaks, mashed, gravy and peas. One
>> of Steven's favorites.
>>
>> Michael <- knows Steven is working long hours today

>I'm going to Wendy's. I've totally emptied the freezer of all leftovers and
>raw materials. All I have here are dry roasted peanuts, Triscuits, three
>cans of Campbell's Select soups, eggs, cranberry juice, milk, kosher dill
>pickles, and three kinds of cheese.

So?