Onions!!

R

R11RS

Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a Spanish
or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda at the
store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
> Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda at
> the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
>

Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name for a
large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look, but ask for a
Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:46:19 GMT, "robert" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>
><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
>> Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda
>> at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
>>
>
>Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name for a
>large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look, but ask for a
>Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.
>
And one seems to sell what I used to call Bermuda onions. They have been replaced (in name, if not
in actuality) with Spanish onions, as seen in the site below. When I tried googling for "Bermuda
onions" I got an off variety of onions, with no consistency or relation to what I recall.
http://tinyurl.com/bkj8

Vidalias or Walla Wallas are to me, quite different from Spanish onions, as you can see from the
pages linked below. I find the shape & tastes dissimilar

Vidalias http://tinyurl.com/yuu8r

Walla Wallas http://tinyurl.com/3fwa4

Boron

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
> Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda at
They are not red! We still get them in Toronto, I think that they are actually from Bermuda or the
Caribbean. They are like the Spanish but without the sharp bite aftertaste and make great sandwiches
with tuna or sadines and unlike Vidalias not too sweet. The only onions that never make me cry.

Happy Christmas,

Biff

<[email protected]> writes:

><[email protected]> wrote:
>> Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
>> Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda
>> at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
>>
>
>Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name for a
>large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket.

Actually a Bermuda onion is a particular type of warm climate onion, rather large with a flattened
configuration.

>A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look

From persons who happen to be rather stupid

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

"Biff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
> > Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda
> > at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
> They are not red! We still get them in Toronto, I think that they are actually from Bermuda or
> the Caribbean. They are like the Spanish but without the sharp bite aftertaste and make great
> sandwiches with tuna or sadines and unlike Vidalias not too sweet. The only onions that never
> make me cry.
>
> Happy Christmas,
>
> Biff

I read somewhere that Bermuda onions are now grown almost exclusively in Texas where they have an
awful lot more acreage.

Am I right?

[email protected] wrote:

Bermuda Onions grow best in the rich soil of Georgia and South Carolina. Substitutes do include
Spanish onion, yellow onion or red onion.

Don't expect your average pimply-faced teen at the grocery store to know what any particular type of
produce is. I've had them ask me if it was lettuce or cabbage before they can ring it up. Squash?
Forget about it. "What is this?" I could tell them anything and get it for 10 cents a pound. They
have no idea.

Jill

robert wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
> > Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda
> > at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
> >
>
> Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name for a
> large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look, but ask for a
> Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.

Uh, no, Bermuda onions are purple..... :) Hope that helps?

K.

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Katra <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
>
> robert wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:658-3FE9DD7F-234@storefull-
>> 2311.public.lawson.webtv.net...
>> > Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
>> > Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a Bermuda
>> > at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
>> >
>>
>> Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name for
>> a large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look, but ask for
>> a Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.
>
> Uh, no, Bermuda onions are purple..... :) Hope that helps?

Not any that I've seen or bought. They had reddish brown skins and were white inside.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Katra <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> >
> >
> > robert wrote:
> >
> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:658-3FE9DD7F-234@storefull-
> >> 2311.public.lawson.webtv.net...
> >> > Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
> >> > Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a
> >> > Bermuda at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
> >> >
> >>
> >> Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name
> >> for a large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look, but
> >> ask for a Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.
> >
> > Uh, no, Bermuda onions are purple..... :) Hope that helps?
>
> Not any that I've seen or bought. They had reddish brown skins and were white inside.
>
> Wayne

<rolls eyes> Ok be picky. :) They look purple initially, as the skins are purple as are the
coatings on each layer! The meat is white.

Duh.

K.

--

>
>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Katra <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>
>> >
>> >
>> > robert wrote:
>> >
>> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:658-3FE9DD7F-234@storefull-
>> >> 2311.public.lawson.webtv.net...
>> >> > Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now a
>> >> > Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a
>> >> > Bermuda at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name
>> >> for a large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look, but
>> >> ask for a Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.
>> >
>> > Uh, no, Bermuda onions are purple..... :) Hope that helps?
>>
>> Not any that I've seen or bought. They had reddish brown skins and were white inside.
>>
>> Wayne
>
> <rolls eyes> Ok be picky. :) They look purple initially, as the skins are purple as are the
> coatings on each layer! The meat is white.

I am complete familiar with what you're describing, but I've never heard them called Bermuda onions.
Everywhere I've lived they are sold in the stores as "purple onions". Bermuda onions sold in the
same stores have no purple in them anywhere. Cities where I've seen this include St. Louis,
Cleveland, Memphis, and Phoenix. They can't all be wrong.

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but we've apparently have had different experiences.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>
> >
> >
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> Katra <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >>
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > robert wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:658-3FE9DD7F-234@storefull-
> >> >> 2311.public.lawson.webtv.net...
> >> >> > Once & for all! Does the Bermuda onion no longer exist?? Or is the once called Bermuda,now
> >> >> > a Spanish or Yellow, or was the Bermuda a variation of a Red onion?? If you now ask for a
> >> >> > Bermuda at the store,a just get a blank look. Thanks!!........... Confused
> >> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >> Methinks any large yellow onion i a Bermuda onion. Bermuda onion has become a 'generic' name
> >> >> for a large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look,
> >> >> but ask for a Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.
> >> >
> >> > Uh, no, Bermuda onions are purple..... :) Hope that helps?
> >>
> >> Not any that I've seen or bought. They had reddish brown skins and were white inside.
> >>
> >> Wayne
> >
> > <rolls eyes> Ok be picky. :) They look purple initially, as the skins are purple as are the
> > coatings on each layer! The meat is white.
>
> I am complete familiar with what you're describing, but I've never heard them called Bermuda
> onions. Everywhere I've lived they are sold in the stores as "purple onions". Bermuda onions sold
> in the same stores have no purple in them anywhere. Cities where I've seen this include St. Louis,
> Cleveland, Memphis, and Phoenix. They can't all be wrong.
>
> I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but we've apparently have had different experiences.
>
> Wayne

It's ok. :) We learn this stuff from our parents. Mom and dad always called the purple onions
"Bermuda Onions".

Might be a geographical thing. <g>

K.

--

>> >> > Uh, no, Bermuda onions are purple..... :) Hope that helps?
>> >>
>> >> Not any that I've seen or bought. They had reddish brown skins and were white inside.
>> >>
>> >> Wayne
>> >
>> > <rolls eyes> Ok be picky. :) They look purple initially, as the skins are purple as are the
>> > coatings on each layer! The meat is white.
>>
>> I am complete familiar with what you're describing, but I've never heard them called Bermuda
>> onions. Everywhere I've lived they are sold in the stores as "purple onions". Bermuda onions sold
>> in the same stores have no purple in them anywhere. Cities where I've seen this include St.
>> Louis, Cleveland, Memphis, and Phoenix. They can't all be wrong.
>>
>> I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but we've apparently have had different experiences.
>>
>> Wayne
>
> It's ok. :) We learn this stuff from our parents. Mom and dad always called the purple onions
> "Bermuda Onions".
>
> Might be a geographical thing. <g>
>
> K.

It's probably both. ,g.

Katra,

Have a wonderful Christmas Day. I'm off for a few winks!

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>
> >> >> > Uh, no, Bermuda onions are purple..... :) Hope that helps?
> >> >>
> >> >> Not any that I've seen or bought. They had reddish brown skins and were white inside.
> >> >>
> >> >> Wayne
> >> >
> >> > <rolls eyes> Ok be picky. :) They look purple initially, as the skins are purple as are the
> >> > coatings on each layer! The meat is white.
> >>
> >> I am complete familiar with what you're describing, but I've never heard them called Bermuda
> >> onions. Everywhere I've lived they are sold in the stores as "purple onions". Bermuda onions
> >> sold in the same stores have no purple in them anywhere. Cities where I've seen this include
> >> St. Louis, Cleveland, Memphis, and Phoenix. They can't all be wrong.
> >>
> >> I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but we've apparently have had different experiences.
> >>
> >> Wayne
> >
> > It's ok. :) We learn this stuff from our parents. Mom and dad always called the purple onions
> > "Bermuda Onions".
> >
> > Might be a geographical thing. <g>
> >
> > K.
>
> It's probably both. ,g.
>
> Katra,
>
> Have a wonderful Christmas Day. I'm off for a few winks!
>
> Wayne

Ditto... ;-) I have a full house and am roasting 1 goose and 4 ducks in the morning!!!

'nite,
K.

--

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "What is this?" I could tell them anything and get it for 10 cents a pound. They have no idea.

That's why so many stores put stickers on the produce. Saves the trouble of being trained
for the job.

What scares me about "What is this" is that it makes it apparent they've never eaten this food in
its natural form. What kind of diet do these people have?

sd

sd wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "What is this?" I could tell them anything and get it for 10 cents a pound. They have no idea.
>
> What scares me about "What is this" is that it makes it apparent they've never eaten this food in
> its natural form. What kind of diet do these people have?
>
> sd

Excellent question! I'd have to venture a guess and say, McD's, pizza delivery, Chinese takeout. Bet
they couldn't name half the ingredients in that fried rice!

OB Food: Caldo Verde (Portugese Cabbage Soup)

1/2 c. olive oil 3 onions, chopped (I used sweet yellow onions) 6 potatoes, peeled & cubed 1
small cabbage, chopped 8 c. chicken stock or water (I used half of each) 1 c. white wine salt &
pepper to taste

Pour the oil into a soup pot and saute the onions lightly for about 5 minutes; stir often. Add the
potatoes, cabbage, stock and water, wine, salt & pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the
heat and cover the pot. Simmer the soup about 1 hour. Turn off the heat and let the soup rest 10
minutes. Serve hot.

Jill

sd <[email protected]> wrote in

> In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "What is this?" I could tell them anything and get it for 10 cents a pound. They have no idea.
>
> That's why so many stores put stickers on the produce. Saves the trouble of being trained for
> the job.
>
> What scares me about "What is this" is that it makes it apparent they've never eaten this food in
> its natural form. What kind of diet do these people have?
>
> sd
>

I shudder to think!

Wayne

PENMART01 wrote in message <[email protected]>...
><[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>That's why so many stores put stickers on the produce. Saves the trouble of being trained for
>>the job.
>
>That's not true (well, perhaps in your family, where everyone is even too illiterate to write
>intelligibly, *in full sentences*... talk about
training...
>I bet yoose still **** your pants). The stickers on produce are used as a
form
>of inventory control, whereas each sticker contains a code number that acts similarly to a SKU
>number. Most of the checkers I've encountered know most
of
>the produce but it's as unreasonable to expect them to have the codes
memorized
>the same as it's unreasonable to expect people to memorize SKU numbers.
>
>

where i work we are required to know the skus on produce and we are tested on them every once in
awhile.. its really not that hard.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like
cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the
ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How
silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell." - Cassie from THE THREE

robert <[email protected]> wrote:
>large yellow onion in the local stupidmarket. A 'Bermuda Onion' gets a stupid look, but ask for a
>Vidalia, WallaWalla, etc, and they know what you want.

Bermuda = onion.

Vidalia = something they heard about on food network and earns us an extra 2.4 cents per pound, but
is basically the same sulfurous thing.

--Blair
"Bamf."

On 25 Dec 2003 16:18:21 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

><[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>That's why so many stores put stickers on the produce. Saves the trouble of being trained for
>>the job.
>
>That's not true (well, perhaps in your family, where everyone is even too illiterate to write
>intelligibly, *in full sentences*... talk about training... I bet yoose still **** your pants). The
>stickers on produce are used as a form of inventory control, whereas each sticker contains a code
>number that acts similarly to a SKU number. Most of the checkers I've encountered know most of the
>produce but it's as unreasonable to expect them to have the codes memorized the same as it's
>unreasonable to expect people to memorize SKU numbers.

IOW, you don't disagree with the post you quoted. You were just looking for an occasion to be a
***** again.

-sw