Online Bike Buying

Are you in the UK? I couldn't even find that website. If by chance you're in America there is a really good site called Adrenalin Bikes, not sure if they ship overseas, but these people are fantastic to deal with and they even have vintage new old stock frames that they can build, along with several titanium manufactures and carbon fiber makers.

I once was surfing the online stores for bikes, that was when I took a vacation due to the swelling on my leg. You can say it was just for fun because I don't intend to buy bikes in online shops. But it's good to check on the new bikes online because it gives me a pretty good idea of the new models, new styles, and new appearance. When I go to the real store for a test ride at least I already know what I would be looking for.

After my last and first time buying a expensive (expensive for me, but not near as expensive as a lot of people on these forums buy!) bike online I have t admit I had a really good experience, was it luck? I don't think so, they asked me all the fit questions that a bike store would do, and since I'm older and not racing anymore I'm not out comparing which frame is the stiffer than another, which group performs better, etc, so online saved my about $2,000 on the cost of something similar that I could have found in a bike store. So I for one would buy another online, however due to my age I think I probably bought my last bike for the rest of my life.

I think that's why a lot of people don't like buying online because it is a mixed experience. Some people have no issues at all and it all goes fine, but you do hear other people who have horror stories to tell.

Like with buying most things online, I think a lot of it is just luck and if you do find a trader you can trust, then your better off sticking with them.

pwarbi said:
I think that's why a lot of people don't like buying online because it is a mixed experience. Some people have no issues at all and it all goes fine, but you do hear other people who have horror stories to tell.

Like with buying most things online, I think a lot of it is just luck and if you do find a trader you can trust, then your better off sticking with them.
With traders you can trust, I guess that's a secondary issue which I overlooked. Yes, what if you had ordered a bike and what was delivered was not to your specificiations? The problem with online ordering is the delivery and return. I had a sad experience in buying a garden hose that was defective and I had returned it but it was again returned to me with a note that nothing is wrong with it. A garden hose that wouldn't properly fit the faucet connection? With that leak and they would say nothing is wrong? It can happen to a bike and that would be a disaster.

pwarbi said:

well guess what? I've heard and KNOW of horror stories from people who bought from a bike store, so what's your point? I've had friends who got scammed buying bikes, bike parts, accessories, and "professional" fittings from bike stores. And in a lot of cases they were denied the ability to return objects they bought because they were "used". At least a lot of online stores will accept returns and refund your money.

Luck? just like going to an LBS in town, it's luck if you find a good one of which where I live there is none!! There are very few problems with major online dealers like Nashbar and Performance, Competitive Cyclists, Adrenalin Bikes, and others that have been around for a very long time with established reputations.

So go and pedal your anti online **** somewhere else, and I'm sure that at least 98% of the people on this forum have done business on line and 99% of those have all had no problems whatsoever.