Online Bike Stores

chrispatoz said:
Hi

on the deals I have done with Probikekit I have never been billed for GST or duty since I have never gone to that limit which on duty I believe is somewhere around the $900 to $1000 mark.
Goods imported by Post have a AUD$1000 threshold, ie you pay tax if the value of the goods is over AUD$1000

Goods imported by Air or Sea frieght (say DHL or TNT) have the same threshold, but require extra paperwork and fees, even if the value is under the AUD$1000

Goods imported with you as a passenger on board a ship or aircraft have a AUD$900 threshold, remember this incudes all taxable goods you are carrying.

GST is payable on all bikes and parts over the thresholds, Duty is payable on some parts.

All this and more available on www.customs.gov.au if you can figure out the maze like navigation. I just rang their helpline type number.

vazzwells said:
Given ProBikeKit's items are ex V.A.T, do we pay G.S.T on top of this $19 fee? Im interested in purchasing a wheelset and wondering with GST if it is still worthwhile.
Hi

I followed the link to the relevant customs page from that given by chuckchunder (and there is worthwhile info on that page as well) and another page of interest is http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549 with pertinant info down the page a bit if the value of a parcel or parcels (if arriving from the same sender at around the same time). Hope this helps...

After finding about torpedo7 thru this thread, I went and bought myself a floor pump. A lot cheaper than my LBS, and it only took 2 days to arrive.

chrispatoz said:
Hi

I followed the link to the relevant customs page from that given by chuckchunder (and there is worthwhile info on that page as well) and another page of interest is http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549 with pertinant info down the page a bit if the value of a parcel or parcels (if arriving from the same sender at around the same time). Hope this helps...
Thanks for the detailed response chrispatoz & chuckchunder. After reading through the above link and given that Probikekit charge approx $80 to deliver wheels to Aus (on top of the $19 fee), it almost seems worthwhile to order the front wheel seperately to the back (say a week or two apart) in order to not get stung by the GST and Duty. If its over $1K the charges look quite expensive, and cheaper to accept the $80x2 fee and delivery charges, as long as this is long enough apart to not fall under the Aus Customs multiple product order. Appreciate the time taken to research, thanks guys.

I was under the impression bike parts are exempt from import duty, but whole bikes not.

jur said:
I was under the impression bike parts are exempt from import duty, but whole bikes not.
Humble apologies if I got that wrong, I was just repeating what I remembered from getting stung and then doing some research, could easily have it ****-about. I always check with Customs now before buying, cause the Govt changes stuff when you're not looking.

Just been rooting around amongst the online stores for a rack top bag - I notice chainreactioncycles.com (uk based) are offering free shipping to Oz for buys over 400 pounds. Money, not weight. Not recommending them, have no connection and no experience with them.

Another one I like to check when I'm bored is sjscycles.com (also UK based) - they have some nifty gadgets and make beautiful tourers. Have bought from sjs four times and received excellent service and feedback, happy to recommend them.

and if you're really into widgets try biketoolsetc.com - pity they don't ship to Oz

Re Cellbike product range- if you want something and its not up on the web, call us. We will try and get you whatever you need cheaper then anywhere else.

Also we have a nice new Ultegra Full carbon bike for $2299 coming soon. Includes carbon ergo bars and post.

Give me a call
Kieran Cell bikes
02 9599 0992

or [email protected]

ALFA said:
Thanks for all the great advice - i've had a look at few of the local ones mentioned, Phantom and Torpedo7 look quite good. Anyone else have any further comments from dealing with these companies?
Phantom are really good. I returned an item and Kerry really helped with getting a different item which i needed. Really helpfull. Good delivery times and decent prices.:)

I thought i posted this up before but it seems to have disappeared. Anyway regarding Cell Bikes range we have lots of stuff not listed on the website and we will happily get you whatever you need so give us a call or email:

02 9599 0992

[email protected]

Hi 11ring,

Are you saying that you can access Felt bikes as well as the ones you have on your website?

Thanks

Decided to buy Ultegra groupset from Probikekit.net, $860 inc VISA intertnational charges, no GST (or VAT) no duty. Huge savings over Aus prices. Recieved delivery in a little over 1 week, no dramas at all, direct to front door, being fitted at the LBS as I type. :)

vazzwells said:
Decided to buy Ultegra groupset from Probikekit.net, $860 inc VISA intertnational charges, no GST (or VAT) no duty. Huge savings over Aus prices. Recieved delivery in a little over 1 week, no dramas at all, direct to front door, being fitted at the LBS as I type. :)
Good deal! What is the approx. charge for the fitting at LBS?

HT606 said:
The helmets are cheap. Has many brands, some with last year models being much cheaper (only different colours)...
Just be aware that strictly speaking to the letter of the law, you must wear a helmet bearing the AU standards sticker for you to be riding legally on AU roads.

It is not sufficient to argue that a helmet meets/exceeds AU standards - it must bear the sticker.

That being the case, I don't think it's worth buying a lid from overseas. Its not being pulled over by a police officer to check the sticker that worries me, its what happens with insurance, liability and all the other stuff that goes with that if I have an altercation with another motor vehicle.

Food for thought,

n

roshea said:
Good deal! What is the approx. charge for the fitting at LBS?

I think fitting should cost about $50. I have asked at my LBS before.

Anyway its not too hard to fit the parts on your bike. Aside from the bottom brackets and cranks which needs specific tools. The rest are pretty straight-forward.

ONE NOT TO DEAL WITH

I placed an order with performancebike.com for some wet weather gear for which the prices seemed reasonable and chose the Fedex International option priced at $us28. A little high compared to probikekit but at least Fedex should be quick.

THEN it takes them 10 days to 'verify' my order whatever that means for goods that were supposed to be in stock. I then get an 2 emails on consecutive days outlining the REAL freight charges for my order.

Email 1 had Fedex at $22 handling fee and 30-40 for the shipping (7-10 business days) and USPS an undisclosed handing fee and 4 to 8 weeks.

Then email 2 has Fedex with a handling fee of $28.75 and 40-50 shipping (7-10 business days) and again USPS an undisclosed handling fee again 4 to 8 weeks.

Beware they seem like a rip off.

has anyone had anything like this happen before and is there anything I can do apart from either cancel or choose an option?

chrispatoz said:
ONE NOT TO DEAL WITH

I placed an order with performancebike.com for some wet weather gear for which the prices seemed reasonable and chose the Fedex International option priced at $us28. A little high compared to probikekit but at least Fedex should be quick.

THEN it takes them 10 days to 'verify' my order whatever that means for goods that were supposed to be in stock. I then get an 2 emails on consecutive days outlining the REAL freight charges for my order.

Email 1 had Fedex at $22 handling fee and 30-40 for the shipping (7-10 business days) and USPS an undisclosed handing fee and 4 to 8 weeks.

Then email 2 has Fedex with a handling fee of $28.75 and 40-50 shipping (7-10 business days) and again USPS an undisclosed handling fee again 4 to 8 weeks.

Beware they seem like a rip off.

has anyone had anything like this happen before and is there anything I can do apart from either cancel or choose an option?
I had read about similar issues with FEDEX shipments, which is why I went to the trouble of finding a store that used USPS (airmail) rather than another company. I had good service and cheap shipping from http://3ringcycles.com/ - they price match too!