Online Power training plans?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Bob Edberry, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Bob Edberry

Bob Edberry New Member

Hi-

I was wondering if anyone had tried an online training plan for wattage? I see that Hunter Allen has some available on www.trainingpeaks.com/hunter , but wondered if anyone out there had tried them. I was looking for something this spring and see he has made Spring plans. Anyone tried his other plans?

I don't have the time nor really feel like I need a coach, but would like to have some direction. Think these would help?
    Thanks for any thoughts.

Bob

P.S. I don't have a Computrainer(but have it in the budget for this fall!) , and see there are Computrainer Specific plans, has anyone used these as well? Maybe this will be perfect for me this winter.

Tags:

2. msummers

msummers New Member

These are the similar to the "sample" plans in the back of the book "training and racing with a PM". I'll stick my neck out here and say that using a plan like this is better than no plan at all. Even a bad plan is better than no plan I've heard said, because you can always change a bad plan into a better one through places like this forum. I used Hunters sample plan for the first 8 weeks and have increased my FT by about 8%. I'm now ready to test next week and then after determining strengths and weakness use some of the workouts to put together a plan that may fit better. IMO though, a personalized coach may produce the best results.

3. zaskar

zaskar New Member

I gave it a try, i used the FT program. is what i found is it was to easy for me. i used the intermediate program. what was to easy i just tailored, for example 2x10 min L4s i do 2x20 L4s instead. looking at the spring program looks like a better plan then what i used, and i agree at least it is some direction and wont break the bank.

4. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

I've just signed up for the Time Trial 8 week plan. I only do TT's throughout the summer, and I seem to have hit a dead spot, so I thought, as mentioned above, a plan is better than no plan. The sessions do seem good, in as much as they mix stuff up a bit, like doing 2x20's at just below FT, and then throw in some VO2max at the end. I am so determined to do a '25' under the hour this season, and I plan to use this to get me there.

The other thing about it is even when you finish the 8 weeks, you can re-use the plan at your new FTP, and do it all over again.

5. beldon

beldon New Member

Can anyone else endorse the Hunter Allen training plans and give examples of how it improve you?

6. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

I think I'm going to try the 8 week 320 watt plan. Although it looks like a lot more intensity per week than I've ever attempted.

7. zaskar

zaskar New Member

That is what will improve your performance.

8. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

I realize that... Though I'm still in the ride lots and lots and lots and my performance improves by itself phase. (only been training for 1 year).

9. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

I've just completed week 1 of the TT plan, and found the workouts to be very good. The hardest workout was 2x10 minute sessions of 15 seconds on(150%FTP)/15 seconds off(50%FTP), with a 5 minute break in between. I didn't think I would finish the second section, but even though I lost some power, I finished.

That was the closest I've been to throwing up from training.

Then it was six 10 second sprints at 300-250%FTP, which were fun compared to the first part of the workout.

The thing that comes through is that even though it is sold as a TT plan, it trains the whole system, from endurance L2, right through the range to L7 neuromuscular work, leaving you very well rounded, and prepared for quite a broad spectrum.

The intense stuff is also planned so that even though you might get 2 days in a row, it's followed by easy riding or L2 work to give you time to recover for the next bout of intense work.

Just to add one final comment, I was unable to do the Saturday workout(L2/3), due to a previously arranged 10 mile TT, and I did a PB of 22:52, which is 40 seconds off my best time last summer. This was a day after the heavy session I mentioned earlier, so something's goin' right!

10. sugaken

sugaken New Member

I just want to clarify; did you buy one of the training plans offered at http://www.trainingpeaks.com/hunter ? I'm thinking to purchase one myself real soon, esp. the 8-week Threshold Improvement plan (maybe you mean it by "the TT plan"?).

Thanks!

11. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

The plan I'm doing is under the heading 'Event Success', which is on the page that your above link takes you to.
    The plan(link) is called '8 weeks to an awesome time trial using wattage !'.

This link is faily close to the top of the page and is between the Threshold improvement section links, and the winter/off season training section links.
    Hope this helps.

12. sugaken

sugaken New Member

Thanks! I still think I'd go for the Threshold Improvement, but yours sounds great, too.

13. musher

musher New Member

:)
    . Hi ,i nave been using Hunter's LT Power Plan since November 05, i started with 280 W ,300 W, 320 W, now i 'm working on 340 W, i use to get droppe all the time ,not any more i am running the show now . Some w/o in the plans are extremly hard do your best and dont worry if you did not do what was asked , but do'nt miss any w/o specialy the "TEMPO";) , work very hard on those ,it will make you very " strong & power full". If you need more info on LT Plans let me know, i hope that will help you , good luck.:)

14. sugaken

sugaken New Member

Thanks, musher. Now I'm more convinced than ever to buy the plan. :)

15. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

Very positive. Although I hven't purchased the plan yet, I started the 8 week Threshold plan yesturday based on the first 2 weeks they show for free. I'll probably purchase it this weekend.

I've got my fingers crossed.