Online purchasing

divinemaredi

Mar 2, 2016
Many cyclers that I know around here purchase some of their gear online,things like apparel, gagets, and bicycles too! Now I was just pondering on the fact that is purchasing online really better than traditional buying,
What do you think? And please drop a few good/bad experiences if you don't mind:)

Better is a tricky word.
If you know what you're after, you can often get it cheaper online than from physical shops.
Reason being, those vendors don't need a shop.
Anywhere that's close enough to a post office or a UPS/DHL/TNT facility will do.
And particularly from places like Ebay, you can get stuff that "can't" be sold from a shop.
Shops need to be rational, to move a certain bulk of stuff.
If a guy can make more money doing something else than listing and displaying odd items, then odd items won't get displayed.
On Ebay etc you have people willing to sell for smaller returns - maybe even for the fun of selling, or for the contentment of not throwing functional stuff away, which means you can buy things cheaper.

I've stuck with simple purchases, and pretty much all has been fine. Had one instance when an old S-A hub escaped from its packaging, and had to be retrieved "naked" from the shelf at the post office.

I'd be wary about buying bikes though. They do get banged up in transit every now and then. Sometimes with tedious fights betwen customer and seller regarding responsibility as a result.

Clothes, shoes - shoes in particular I don't buy online. Too hard to know if they'll fit or not. Going to a shop is less hassle than a return.

Better? No, I'd say the only advantage buying online has is price. Retail LBS should be a better experience:

First, Looking at, trying on the item I'm purchasing, making sure it's really what you want. Being able to inspect it closely, ask questions, make sure it works before buying. You know it's new and not a returned/Tdefective item.

Second, paying for the item only when you've got it in hand or sitting in front of you. No worry about sending money to a stranger and hoping the item will arrive as promised. No worries about shipping damage or delays either.

Third, support after the sale. If you take the item home and it doesn't fit on your bike, a piece is missing or doesn't work, the nearby LBS will usually make it right or take it back and refund your money.

So, yes, I buy most stuff from my LBS. They offer a discount on most items too, so the price difference is often small. Exception is tires. My favorite's are just too cheap from Probikekit to pass up!

Try finding Campagnolo ANYTHING in a LBS!

I have bought everything except shoes online. Better prices. Better selection. Stuff is actually stocked by the online shops. Higher end items are the norm.

I still try to support my local shops. One local owner and I go back to 1977 and I bought a TREK Emonda at one of his shops last Winter. I buy gels, shoes, some clothing, a few components, tubes and inflation supplies and every now and then a tool from the local guys.

The local shops do 'try', but I'm not their typical market target and I do not expect them to cater to my needs. That's where the online shops excel.

If you know exactly what you want the online resellers can be your salvation when it comes to saving money and getting products to you quickly. Amazon is rapidly becoming America's cheapest and largest bike store. eBay is awesome if you know the game. The European online outfits are first class in my book. Merlin, Wiggle, Ribble, Halfords (yes, Halfords), ProBikeKit, ChainReaction...and Planet Cyclery, Evans Cycles, R&A Cycles, Nashbar, Performance, BikeTiresDirect/Western Bikeworks, Tree Fort Bikes, Modern Bike, Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist...there's PLENTY to shop from and one of them will have what you need at a reasonable price.

The local shops have a standard line they throw out..."We don't have that, but we can order it for you."

Well...duh!

I have heard of this 'internet' of which you speak, white man! Me have 'puter! Me go online! Tarzan order new loincloth!

Try finding Campagnolo ANYTHING in a LBS!

I have bought everything except shoes online. Better prices. Better selection. Stuff is actually stocked by the online shops. Higher end items are the norm.

I still try to support my local shops. One local owner and I go back to 1977 and I bought a TREK Emonda at one of his shops last Winter. I buy gels, shoes, some clothing, a few components, tubes and inflation supplies and every now and then a tool from the local guys.

The local shops do 'try', but I'm not their typical market target and I do not expect them to cater to my needs. That's where the online shops excel.

If you know exactly what you want the online resellers can be your salvation when it comes to saving money and getting products to you quickly. Amazon is rapidly becoming America's cheapest and largest bike store. eBay is awesome if you know the game. The European online outfits are first class in my book. Merlin, Wiggle, Ribble, Halfords (yes, Halfords), ProBikeKit, ChainReaction...and Planet Cyclery, Evans Cycles, R&A Cycles, Nashbar, Performance, BikeTiresDirect/Western Bikeworks, Tree Fort Bikes, Modern Bike, Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist...there's PLENTY to shop from and one of them will have what you need at a reasonable price.

The local shops have a standard line they throw out..."We don't have that, but we can order it for you."

Well...duh!

I have heard of this 'internet' of which you speak, white man! Me have 'puter! Me go online! Tarzan order new loincloth!
Bob, I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with you in most if not all points of this post. Heh, my LBS is actually Performance in Berkeley. I get stuff from Ribble regularly, and I find wiggle to be a gold mine for cycle wear. Most of my purchases are from ebay as I can search for the items I need and someone will have it.

Bad experience: bought rims from China. They were crushed sideways. I mean actually hit so hard with a forklift that the tube bed was buckled! I had bought two. They replaced one. And that came in with the packaging mangled.

Good experience: I mave many of those, so I'll just mentoon the latest. I'm buolding a touring bike and needed good lights for her. I had decided that I wanted a German dynamo lighting system, based on the SON28 hub. I found one in near new condition for about half the price new. I asked the seller if I could buy it early, and pay for it when I got my check on the first. Many will do thos, but he was reluctant, but he raised the price to where he expected to not sell, and thwn accepted my offer when I had the cash for the original price. It arrives by Friday.

My hub arrived today and is laced into a front wheel. I'll be taking it for a "spin" in the morning. The lights that go with it will be here in a week or so. . . Then I may go on an all night ride to see how well the system works together.

I wouldn't mind purchasing bike stuff and equipment online only if the company has a high rating online and is trustworthy. I wouldn't want to lose my money to a fake company that specializes in fake equipment from China or what not.

Yes, I think that purchasing online is a better idea because then you don't want to waste your time bargaining with the shopkeepers and you can get your favourite bicycles and under you budget and you just have to enter your amount and there you got it.
Best buy online.;)

I personally think that it all depends on what you're really looking for, because if you're looking for some unique stuff that you might not want anyone to have jsut you and only you, then yo ucan try purchasing online, if that is not your case and you're just looking for some cool gear you should go to your closest local store and buy them, it is not really that hard, good luck!

LBS lack inventory.

Online is far better

Not only is the LBS lacking inventory most don't carry the top rated accessories, they carry a lot of off brand stuff because the markups are higher but there are no reviews.

Online is far better but not just because of price, some online shops give you the peace of mind that you can return anything at anytime for any reason and get either a refund or an exchange, no LBS does that. For example I bought a pair of shoes from an LBS in town, got them home and had pain after just 20 miles, I tried adjusting the cleat position to no avail, took them back after one ride and was told that since I wore them on a ride they could not be returned, Performance Bicycle would have had no issue about me returning them even if I had wore them 50 times.

Online stores sell the most popular and the most highest reviewed stuff as well as cool stuff, as well as unusual stuff you can't find anywhere.

Stay with the major online retailers and you won't get fake POS ****. LBS's won't bargain with you on accessories, they will on a bike but not on the bike price but they'll throw in accessories at the time of the sale at a reduced cost, but that's the only time you'll get a reduced cost on accessories unless you join their pro club then for the cost of the membership you save 5% on accessories...or buy online and save 30 to 70 percent. An LBS's rarely have huge markdown sales like online stores, the only things I've ever gotten at an LBS on a huge sale was actually takeoff saddles, saddles that came with a new bike and was taken off for the customer because the customer bought a different saddle, so I was able to get 2 Fizik saddles for about 6th the price of what they went for new.

Don't bother buying small items that are less than $15 to $20 online though if you can find it at the LBS because the markup isn't that significant to bother waiting for it to come in the mail. Always have online purchases sent as cheap as possible otherwise paying for next day delivery could cost you as much total as just buying it from an LBS.

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, go to an LBS and pick the salesperson brain for an hour on a product then go home and purchase it online, that salesperson makes a living on commission, and you just robbed him of his time and he made no money when he could have been helping someone else and making money. If you ask a salesperson in an LBS for his advice on a product then have the decency to buy it from him.

I decided to fix a couple road bikes which have been in my attic for 10 years and I know very little about maintenance. I took the bikes to my LBS and purchased a list of parts and tools from them after they gave me a free checkup. I've been back to the store a bunch of times for more parts and tools and free advice. So far I've spent at least $900 with them. Now here's the thing: I'm getting all sorts of free advice. They give me discounts. I've probably gotten $80 in free parts. I don't have to pay shipping. I save hours of time searching the Internet for parts which may or may not work for my old bike. I can honestly say that from a cost standpoint alone I have probably saved money even though the parts are more expensive. The advice and help are invaluable. That said I did purchase my computers online as the LBS was literally twice as expensive for that particular item. The bottom line is know what you're paying for and why; Cost is only part of the equation.

It's not just with bicycles and cycling gear, but anything you need, your able to buy online now and it's probably the better option.

As others have already said, you get more selection, the prices are cheaper and you don't have to leave the comfort of your own home to get it.

It's not just with bicycles and cycling gear, but anything you need, your able to buy online now and it's probably the better option.

As others have already said, you get more selection, the prices are cheaper and you don't have to leave the comfort of your own home to get it.

I agree, you can get anything online now for less money than going into a store and then wasting gas going from store to store. I got a new laptop from Costco internet that they didn't carry in the stores that only cost me $900 but to get the features that I got from anywhere else it would have cost me over $1,800 plus I got a 4 year warranty which I never would have gotten. I buy most things on line these days.

Reactions: pwarbi
Heck, I have gone into the bike shops to find simple things like 14g spokes. Nope!

I want a Velocity Deep V. Nope but we can order it for you. $80 plus shipping...$100! :eek:

I went on the net and got one for $60. Picked it up as the site was a local dist center. Order the thing myself much cheaper on the net! :cool:

Get what I need on the net.;)

Just the opposite for me. Have a great LBS nearby, and I've been buying most everything I need from them. When they don't have what I need, they order it and it comes in a few days. I check out the item, and don't have to pay for it unless I like it. No worries about ordering, returns, etc. I'm fairly picky about a lot of accessories, so like to inspect or try them on before actually buying them. Simple trades mean a lot to me.

Discounts of 10% or more are the rule, with great seasonal sales on clothing. Last thing I bought was Speedplay Zero pedals for my new bike. I checked a couple of big online retailers to find them selling at list price, so my LBS was actually cheaper. They had them in stock, no waiting.

Note, I don't buy everything from this LBS. GP4000s are still a lot cheaper online. And my new bike came direct from the builder, not bought from them either. And of course there are a lot of crappy LBS out there that don't deserve my business. I know I'm lucky to have a great shop nearby with expert mechanics to fix or advise me on any questions and I want to help keep them in business.

^^ No worries about ordering, returns, etc online either. You must have a very rare LBS, because I have never found anything less at an LBS than online except the 2 saddles I got but those were takeoffs. My LBS had a HUGE closeout sale on winter clothing, so I go there and they're still twice as much as what I can buy the same thing online for.

So yeah, if I had an LBS that sold their stuff at online prices, or less as you say then I too would be buying from an LBS, but they don't so I don't.

I always liked the fact of buying something online but I am not sure for entire bike. I could buy some equipment for it like pedals or a honk or a saddle but entire bike would be something else. I have no idea why because I realize that If I buy a new bicycle it goes with warranty and stuff and you have pictures of the model, you can call to check for details, etc.. I guess it is because I have no money to purchase a new bike so I would probably buy some used bike and that would not be a good idea I think.

I bought the majority of both my current bikes online. OK, it was as parts, but I knew what I wanted, and I found a lot of it on eBay. If you are not sure what you want, you really should get them from your LBS That is what they are best at, after all. Since I do not buy complete bikes at all, that is not a worry for me.