Online shopping

Would you buy bike gear from a cyclingforums.com hosted store?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't shop online

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
If cyclingforums.com had an alliance with a bike shop, would you consider buying products through an online store hosted by cyclingforums.com

Thanks for filling out this poll!

cheers

What sort of products would the store have? I would likely buy clothing (at probikekit style prices), accessories, and consumables like tyres, tubes etc. but for things that need mechanical skill to install, I'd go to the LBS.

This is rather country-specific, but I'd certainly have a look. Any store doing this would have to be ready to take some criticism...

it would depend on the postage cost. eg lots of online shops shiping costs are 25%of the product.

Originally posted by ant evans
This is rather country-specific, but I'd certainly have a look. Any store doing this would have to be ready to take some criticism...

Thats true, an Australian based store wouldn't suit someone like you for example.

Originally posted by GearGrinder
it would depend on the postage cost. eg lots of online shops shiping costs are 25%of the product.

Another good point, who have you guys shopped online with in the past?

cheers

Originally posted by steve
Another good point, who have you guys shopped online with in the past?

cheers

I haven't shopped online for bike stuff yet, but there are enough bike shops around to find what you need here in Belgium anyway.
The experience of shopping for bike stuff in a real store makes going to your local bike shop worthwile as well.

I did however look at the online catalogue of Salden in the Netherlands and went over to their store to order my new bike as the price difference is considerable.

I would consider buying smaller things (clothing, brake pads, tires, ...) online if the price is right

Niek

Aussie Cycling
has a bookstore http://www.jub.com.au/books/
i bought a book which which was nearly the same price as Amazon but inculed postage and handling in the price where as amazon did not include that in thier price it was nearly $10 more.
the book arrived a few days latter.

I buy my clothes from probikekit.com and i've bought parts from various places online

even when you have to get them shipped from the US sometimes you can save a fair bit.

Price will most definitely be the deciding factor steve. I'm in South Africa and must admit that the value of our rand is not that good, ± R8.00 for 1U$. That makes any kind of buying from overseas quite pricey to say the least. The exchange rate gets worked into the prices we pay at the LBS but I suppose ordering bulk makes a big difference.
I will however check it out if it's available!!

I shop online for bike stuff all the time (www.wiggle.co.uk is a particular favourite) and this would be great - especially if it's based in Australia. I'm currently living in the UK, and planning to return home to Australia next year and have to admit that looking into online shops for bike bits back home has been quite a disappointing experience...

I have to agree with all of the above - it depends on what is being sold, the price and the range of freight options available.

If an on-line store were to be opened then you'd have to at least match probikekit.com for clothing prices and range (and their freight is excellent). You'd also have to match parker-international, settle cycles, dandybike, SJS cycles and (dare I say it) zonabici for range and prices on tubes, tyres, saddles, bidons and components.

If that's not possible then there's no point establishing an on-line venture.

i shop at cecilwalker and have been happy, as postage is free. not sure how well they do though. they're one of the best aussie sites out there. otherwise i've bought from probikekit,com before they set up an aussie operation where their prices appear to have gone up. their range has also depleted.

my tip is advertise if you have the item in stock on the site. nothing more annoying than ordering an out of stock item

- lincoln

Hi Lincoln, good to see you made it here :)

Steve -- given that we're all over the place with regards to location and the like, maybe an affiliate/referral program to existing shops might be an alternative worth looking at.. ?

Originally posted by rek
Hi Lincoln, good to see you made it here :)

Steve -- given that we're all over the place with regards to location and the like, maybe an affiliate/referral program to existing shops might be an alternative worth looking at.. ?

Hey rek

I was thinking more along the lines of hosting a small online store for a shop, using the cyclingforums.com look and feel, with the orders/payment going direct to them. I'm not in a position to sell things myself, nor do I want to be :D

I realise for this to work, i'd need to setup stores for different bikeshops in Australia, the UK, Belgium, USA and South Africa.

I have two possibilities for Australian based shops, but that only covers about 25% of our userbase!

cheers

I have done quite a bit of shopping on-line, and have had good experiences so far. Most of the shops I've used are USA based, but I would use a shop in SA to save on shipping if the prices were right.

Currently, the only SA on-line shop I know is Cycle Lab, but I don't see any advantage in price compared to the LBS. Also, their range is pretty limited. The overseas shops offer almost everything, from built up bikes to build kits, individual components and accessories.

Welcome to the forums Bruce, I'm an ex-Durbanite, moved up here about 1 & 1/2 years ago. Post on "Where you from and what you do" so we can have chat.
:)

Steve, it sounds like a good idea, especially if it would be "area of world" specific, ie.....ppl in the Eastern US would be able to purchase via an Eastcoast supplier, ppl in the Western US of course from a Westcoast Supplier, ppl in UK.....etc etc....

Let me know if you set something up..

Originally posted by steve
If cyclingforums.com had an alliance with a bike shop, would you consider buying products through an online store hosted by cyclingforums.com

Thanks for filling out this poll!

cheers
;)

Sure

If a cycling forums related bike store would deliver internationally I would consider dealing with them.