Online Sites to Map Routes?

I'm in the process of trying to get a large portion of my commute home
off of the roads. So far I've been using satellite and hybrid
versions of maps.google.com & gmap-pedometer.com to get ideas on
routes and distance. It works, but the sat images are often very
old. Overall it's not a bad way to get this done, but I'm curious if
there are better. What is everyone else using?

On Mar 19, 11:05 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to get a large portion of my commute home
> off of the roads.  So far I've been using satellite and hybrid
> versions of maps.google.com & gmap-pedometer.com to get ideas on
> routes and distance.  It works, but the sat images are often very
> old.  Overall it's not a bad way to get this done, but I'm curious if
> there are better.  What is everyone else using?

A good source of maps of abandoned railroad lines which make great off-
street routes:

http://menotomymaps.com

On Mar 19, 9:05 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to get a large portion of my commute home
> off of the roads.  So far I've been using satellite and hybrid
> versions of maps.google.com &gmap-pedometer.com to get ideas on
> routes and distance.  It works, but the sat images are often very
> old.  Overall it's not a bad way to get this done, but I'm curious if
> there are better.  What is everyone else using?

You could also look at routiki:

http://www.routiki.com

It uses google maps and also openstreetmap (OSM). Depending on your
area OSM often shows trails and paths that google doesn't show.

Regards,
Dan

On Mar 19, 1:24 pm, Dan Andrews <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 9:05 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of trying to get a large portion of my commute home
> > off of the roads.  So far I've been using satellite and hybrid
> > versions of maps.google.com &gmap-pedometer.com to get ideas on
> > routes and distance.  It works, but the sat images are often very
> > old.  Overall it's not a bad way to get this done, but I'm curious if
> > there are better.  What is everyone else using?

> You could also look at routiki:
>
> http://www.routiki.com
>
> It uses google maps and also openstreetmap (OSM). Depending on your
> area OSM often shows trails and paths that google doesn't show.
>
> Regards,
> Dan

Thanks to both of you. Both sites have proved useful. The routiki
site gives the same picture as gmap-pedometer for my area, but without
the huge sidebar the picture is larger, and I think I like the
interface more. I'll use it for a while and decide.

I've been using www.bikely.com. The map area on the screen is a bit
small, but it has a feature called "auto-follow road" that does just
that, it follows the curves in the road for more accurate measurements
without having to plot a whole bunch of points yourself. It tends to get
confused by overpasses and it favors major roads over minor roads, so I
end up turning the feature off for that kind of thing.

The big map on www.routiki.com is nice, but I wish it had the
"auto-follow road" feature.

mark

If you run Safari or Firefox, our maps will soon have AutoFlow and have
the advantage of helping to build the National Bicyce Greenway. Go to
http://bikeroute.com

THX in advance!

In article
<526be86e-336b-465b-84d8-6068c9eb89c9@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,