Online source for glutamine

John Crankshaw

Guest
I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.

What online store with good prices and good service do you guys use?

John

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.
>
> What online store with good prices and good service do you guys use?

I wonder what makes you think that this will help you recover? Do you do
back to back 200 mile rides?

Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent Triathlon mag article
suggested adding it to a whey protein drink after hard training/competing.
I'd like to see if it helps.

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.
> >
> > What online store with good prices and good service do you guys use?

> I wonder what makes you think that this will help you recover? Do you do
> back to back 200 mile rides?

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent Triathlon mag article
> suggested adding it to a whey protein drink after hard training/competing.
> I'd like to see if it helps.
>
> Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.
> > >
> > > What online store with good prices and good service do you guys use?

> > I wonder what makes you think that this will help you recover? Do you do
> > back to back 200 mile rides?

That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they say in one of those
rags. Just drink a sports drink after your race and then have a mostly carb
diet within three hours of your finish. Buying **** to put in your body
ain't going to make you go faster. Training smarter will.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom
Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

> "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent Triathlon mag article
> > suggested adding it to a whey protein drink after hard training/competing.
> > I'd like to see if it helps.
> >
> > Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > I wonder what makes you think that this will help you recover? Do you do
> > > back to back 200 mile rides?

> That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they say in one of those
> rags. Just drink a sports drink after your race and then have a mostly carb
> diet within three hours of your finish. Buying **** to put in your body
> ain't going to make you go faster. Training smarter will.

There is evidence that glutamine will help with recovery and the immune
system. It's cheap insurance. But, if you're not constantly training on
the edge of recovery then I doubt it would help.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:050720040952098194%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom
> Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent Triathlon mag

article
> > > suggested adding it to a whey protein drink after hard

training/competing.
> > > I'd like to see if it helps.
> > >
> > > Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

use?

you do

> > That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they say in one of

those
> > rags. Just drink a sports drink after your race and then have a mostly

carb
> > diet within three hours of your finish. Buying **** to put in your body
> > ain't going to make you go faster. Training smarter will.

> There is evidence that glutamine will help with recovery and the immune
> system. It's cheap insurance. But, if you're not constantly training on
> the edge of recovery then I doubt it would help.

What evidence is that?

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, Andy
Coggan <[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:050720040952098194%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Tom
> > Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> article

> training/competing.

> use?

> you do
> > >
> > > That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they say in one of

> those
> > > rags. Just drink a sports drink after your race and then have a mostly

> carb
> > > diet within three hours of your finish. Buying **** to put in your body
> > > ain't going to make you go faster. Training smarter will.

> > There is evidence that glutamine will help with recovery and the immune
> > system. It's cheap insurance. But, if you're not constantly training on
> > the edge of recovery then I doubt it would help.

> What evidence is that?

"You can look it up" and/or try it for yourself.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:050720041122554025%[email protected]...

> "You can look it up" and/or try it for yourself.

"Evidence for a shortage of glutamine: you get ill."

Now there's some research you can sink your teeth into. (<-

Actually the research indicates that exogenous glatamine may be of some
assistance to your body if you are extremely stressed such as cancer
patients under chemotherapy or burn victims with a great deal of damage.

There's no evidence to support the idea that a NORMALLY healthy individual
can achieve any desireable effects from l-Glutanine.

The problem is this - a healthy body can manufacture all of the l-glutamine
that it reqiures. There are very few athletes that can train to the point
where they suffer from significant shortages of this amino acid. So while it
sounds good to say that 60% of the available glutamine can be used up after
a strenuous exercise, since the body manufactures it rather rapidly it just
means that you get tired and you recover.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom
Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:050720041122554025%[email protected]...
> >
> > "You can look it up" and/or try it for yourself.

> "Evidence for a shortage of glutamine: you get ill."
>
> Now there's some research you can sink your teeth into. (<-
>
> Actually the research indicates that exogenous glatamine may be of some
> assistance to your body if you are extremely stressed such as cancer
> patients under chemotherapy or burn victims with a great deal of damage.

I think it's worth considering the catabolic state of an athlete who
trains and races hard and what might help them recover more rapidly.

> There's no evidence to support the idea that a NORMALLY healthy individual
> can achieve any desireable effects from l-Glutanine.
>
> There are very few athletes that can train to the point
> where they suffer from significant shortages of this amino acid.

Here's a link from the top of a Google search.

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/GlutamineAthletes.htm

Here's another that may be of interest.

http://www.athletesadvisor.com/nutrition/jeffstout.htm

Like I said before, if you're training and racing on the edge of
recovery on a regular basis it's worth doing the many little things
that may help you recover faster so you can train and race harder
sooner, and/or make yourself less likely to get sick. In the case of
glutamine, it's cheap insurance.

-WG

If you can read that stuff and come to the conclusions that they do then
perhaps you ought to follow their advice and buy a commercial product that
will, in the end, do nothing at all. Moreover, if you believe some of the
articles on the purity and safety of exercise supplements there can be some
downsides as well.

As for me this sort of reminds me of Marvel Mystery Oil - "Rebuild your
engine while you drive!"

news:050720042113560706%[email protected]...