Online source for glutamine

John Crankshaw

Guest
I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.

What online store with good prices and good service do
you guys use?

John

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.
>
> What online store with good prices and good service do you
> guys use?

I wonder what makes you think that this will help you
recover? Do you do back to back 200 mile rides?

Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent
Triathlon mag article suggested adding it to a whey
protein drink after hard training/competing. I'd like to
see if it helps.

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:GAaFc.176849$Gx4.143213@bgtnsc04-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.
> >
> > What online store with good prices and good service do
> > you guys use?
>
> I wonder what makes you think that this will help you
> recover? Do you do back to back 200 mile rides?

"John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent
> Triathlon mag article suggested adding it to a whey
> protein drink after hard training/competing. I'd like to
> see if it helps.
>
> Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Rt-
> [email protected]...
> > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:GAaFc.176849$Gx4.143213@bgtnsc04-
> > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > > I'm wanting to try some glutamine to aid recovery.
> > >
> > > What online store with good prices and good service do
> > > you guys use?
> >
> > I wonder what makes you think that this will help you
> > recover? Do you do back to back 200 mile rides?

That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they say in
one of those rags. Just drink a sports drink after your race
and then have a mostly carb diet within three hours of your
finish. Buying **** to put in your body ain't going to make
you go faster. Training smarter will.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom
Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

> "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:tyuFc.54662$OB3.41850@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent
> > Triathlon mag article suggested adding it to a whey
> > protein drink after hard training/competing. I'd like to
> > see if it helps.
> >
> > Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message news:-
> > [email protected]...
> > > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > message news:GAaFc.176849$Gx4.143213@bgtnsc04-
> > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> > > I wonder what makes you think that this will help you
> > > recover? Do you do back to back 200 mile rides?
>
> That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they say
> in one of those rags. Just drink a sports drink after your
> race and then have a mostly carb diet within three hours
> of your finish. Buying **** to put in your body ain't
> going to make you go faster. Training smarter will.

There is evidence that glutamine will help with recovery and
the immune system. It's cheap insurance. But, if you're not
constantly training on the edge of recovery then I doubt it
would help.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:050720040952098194%[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:tyuFc.54662$OB3.41850@bgtnsc05-
> > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > > Don't know if it'll make a difference, but a recent
> > > Triathlon mag
article
> > > suggested adding it to a whey protein drink after hard
training/competing.
> > > I'd like to see if it helps.
> > >
> > > Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message ne-
> > > ws:[email protected]
> > > et...

use?

you do

> > That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they
> > say in one of
those
> > rags. Just drink a sports drink after your race and then
> > have a mostly
carb
> > diet within three hours of your finish. Buying **** to
> > put in your body ain't going to make you go faster.
> > Training smarter will.
>
> There is evidence that glutamine will help with recovery
> and the immune system. It's cheap insurance. But, if
> you're not constantly training on the edge of recovery
> then I doubt it would help.

What evidence is that?

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, Andy
Coggan <[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:050720040952098194%[email protected]...
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > message news:tyuFc.54662$OB3.41850@bgtnsc05-
> > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> article
> training/competing.

> use?

> you do
> > >
> > > That's a really strong reason to ignore anything they
> > > say in one of
> those
> > > rags. Just drink a sports drink after your race and
> > > then have a mostly
> carb
> > > diet within three hours of your finish. Buying **** to
> > > put in your body ain't going to make you go faster.
> > > Training smarter will.
> >
> > There is evidence that glutamine will help with recovery
> > and the immune system. It's cheap insurance. But, if
> > you're not constantly training on the edge of recovery
> > then I doubt it would help.
>
> What evidence is that?

"You can look it up" and/or try it for yourself.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:050720041122554025%[email protected]...

> "You can look it up" and/or try it for yourself.

"Evidence for a shortage of glutamine: you get ill."

Now there's some research you can sink your teeth into. (<-

Actually the research indicates that exogenous glatamine may
be of some assistance to your body if you are extremely
stressed such as cancer patients under chemotherapy or burn
victims with a great deal of damage.

There's no evidence to support the idea that a NORMALLY
healthy individual can achieve any desireable effects from
l-Glutanine.

The problem is this - a healthy body can manufacture all of
the l-glutamine that it reqiures. There are very few
athletes that can train to the point where they suffer from
significant shortages of this amino acid. So while it
sounds good to say that 60% of the available glutamine can
be used up after a strenuous exercise, since the body
manufactures it rather rapidly it just means that you get
tired and you recover.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom
Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:050720041122554025%[email protected]...
> >
> > "You can look it up" and/or try it for yourself.
>
> "Evidence for a shortage of glutamine: you get ill."
>
> Now there's some research you can sink your teeth
> into. (<-
>
> Actually the research indicates that exogenous glatamine
> may be of some assistance to your body if you are
> extremely stressed such as cancer patients under
> chemotherapy or burn victims with a great deal of damage.

I think it's worth considering the catabolic state of an
athlete who trains and races hard and what might help them
recover more rapidly.

> There's no evidence to support the idea that a NORMALLY
> healthy individual can achieve any desireable effects from
> l-Glutanine.
>
> There are very few athletes that can train to the point
> where they suffer from significant shortages of this
> amino acid.

Here's a link from the top of a Google search.

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/GlutamineAthletes.htm

Here's another that may be of interest.

http://www.athletesadvisor.com/nutrition/jeffstout.htm

Like I said before, if you're training and racing on the
edge of recovery on a regular basis it's worth doing the
many little things that may help you recover faster so you
can train and race harder sooner, and/or make yourself less
likely to get sick. In the case of glutamine, it's cheap
insurance.

-WG

If you can read that stuff and come to the conclusions that
they do then perhaps you ought to follow their advice and
buy a commercial product that will, in the end, do nothing
at all. Moreover, if you believe some of the articles on the
purity and safety of exercise supplements there can be some
downsides as well.

As for me this sort of reminds me of Marvel Mystery Oil -
"Rebuild your engine while you drive!"

news:050720042113560706%[email protected]...