Only in Florida . . .

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Derek, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://tinyurl.com/35a7x

    Only in Florida is right!

    The winner was part-owner of a recumbent bicycle manufacturer and wanted to
    prove that they were as efficient as "regular" bikes.

    HA ... so he "proves" that by winning a ride across the flattest stretch of
    road on the planet. I'd like to see him bring that bike up here to the hill
    country and we could see how efficient it is here. Sheesh. I didn't see a
    picture, but I'll bet he had a fairing, too.

    Bob C.

  2. Derek

    Derek Guest

    He was riding this bike

    http://tinyurl.com/2u86b

    No fairing, but a set of Rotor cranks. . .

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > http://tinyurl.com/35a7x
    > >

    > Only in Florida is right!
    >
    > The winner was part-owner of a recumbent bicycle manufacturer and wanted

    > prove that they were as efficient as "regular" bikes.
    >
    > HA ... so he "proves" that by winning a ride across the flattest stretch

    of
    > road on the planet. I'd like to see him bring that bike up here to the

    hill
    > country and we could see how efficient it is here. Sheesh. I didn't see

    > picture, but I'll bet he had a fairing, too.
    >
    > Bob C.

  3. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Peddle, me? I have no stake in Bacchetta, I just thought the article was
    interesting. Nobody asked me to post. I met John Schlitter briefly once
    last year at the Cherry Pie crit in Napa.

    We were both riding the same type of bike, but my large stomach kept me from
    breathing well and my beard kept flying up into my face, so he lapped me a
    bunch of times. He's lost a lost of weight in the past year and used to race
    as a Cat 2.

    I mostly ride uprights, and would like to race with you normal people, but
    need to wait until they come up with a Cat 8 or something. . .

    "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Derek" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/35a7x

    > What, they don't know the difference between "peddle" and "pedal"?
    >
    > -Gerard

  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

  5. Joe Keenan

    Joe Keenan Guest

    Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > >http://tinyurl.com/35a7x

    > Florida is pretty flat, so I can see a recumbent having an edge. Let
    > them try that anywhere that isn't flat.
    > ----------------
    > Alex

    Alex,

    They did it in the 30's in Europe (which ain't flat). The result
    being that the UCI changed the definition and dimensions of "bicycle"
    to prohibit recumbents, otherwise you'd be riding a different bike
    today. Something about mass production and economics. And there's no
    way this will ever be settled because the racer wanna bees are raised
    on DF bikes. Forget about flat...it's just not a level playing field
    in today's competition.

    Have fun whatever you ride.

    Slow Joe Recumbo

  6. TM

    TM Guest

    "Joe Keenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]

    says...

    <snip>

    > They did it in the 30's in Europe (which ain't flat). The result
    > being that the UCI changed the definition and dimensions of "bicycle"
    > to prohibit recumbents, otherwise you'd be riding a different bike
    > today. Something about mass production and economics.

    Do you mean like GM is supposed to have stolen mass transit from US cities,
    otherwise we'd all being riding trolleys to work?
    Do you think the two are linked together?
    The auto and the diamond frame bike both propped up by the same evil
    corporate conspiracy?

  7. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Enough with the 1934 UCI decision bashing, it is meaningless, and the
    ultimate "coulda, shoulda, woulda".

    The traditional diamond frame upright design has survived for over 100 years
    because it is a beautiful, amazing, trancendent piece of engineering.
    Recumbents will never, ever, replace them as the mainstream bike of choice.

    I had a choice of a recumbent or an upright to ride to work today, and I
    rode the upright because I had to ride thru thick traffic, and do a lot of
    accelerations and manuvering to survive. I live in a town where two DF
    roadies have been mowed down and killed and another maimed within the space
    of the last two weeks by drunk drivers. The upright is a better choice for
    that kind of riding. Period.

    The upright bike is also faster than an unfaired bent, if the DF is in a
    group of smoothly working riders under ideal conditions. John Schlitter's
    win in that race shows more about his training and heart for winning the
    race than the type of bike he was riding.

    Where the bent can be a faster machine given equal motors, is on open road
    terrain that is flat, rollers, or moderately downhill with a relatively good
    road surface.

    The thing that DF might racers be interested in is that intelligent
    cross-training on a bent significantly increases the snap in your legs a lot
    and will give you a competitive advantage in a sprint situation. It also
    increases your pedaling smoothness for some reason, I don't know why. I get
    the same result with my fixed gear bike.

    (TM's post snipped)

    > Do you think the two are linked together?
    > The auto and the diamond frame bike both propped up by the same evil
    > corporate conspiracy?

  8. TM

    TM Guest

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Enough with the 1934 UCI decision bashing, it is meaningless, and the
    > ultimate "coulda, shoulda, woulda".

    My point exactly.

    You enjoy what you ride and can understand why somebody else would enjoy
    riding something different. Well done.

    The whole 'the future was stolen from the recumbent by a bunch of European
    bureaucrats' deal struck me as absurd.

  9. Joe Keenan

    Joe Keenan Guest

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Enough with the 1934 UCI decision bashing, it is meaningless, and the
    > ultimate "coulda, shoulda, woulda".
    >
    > The traditional diamond frame upright design has survived for over 100 years
    > because it is a beautiful, amazing, trancendent piece of engineering.
    > Recumbents will never, ever, replace them as the mainstream bike of choice.
    >
    > I had a choice of a recumbent or an upright to ride to work today, and I
    > rode the upright because I had to ride thru thick traffic, and do a lot of
    > accelerations and manuvering to survive. I live in a town where two DF
    > roadies have been mowed down and killed and another maimed within the space
    > of the last two weeks by drunk drivers. The upright is a better choice for
    > that kind of riding. Period.
    >
    > The upright bike is also faster than an unfaired bent, if the DF is in a
    > group of smoothly working riders under ideal conditions. John Schlitter's
    > win in that race shows more about his training and heart for winning the
    > race than the type of bike he was riding.
    >
    > Where the bent can be a faster machine given equal motors, is on open road
    > terrain that is flat, rollers, or moderately downhill with a relatively good
    > road surface.
    >
    > The thing that DF might racers be interested in is that intelligent
    > cross-training on a bent significantly increases the snap in your legs a lot
    > and will give you a competitive advantage in a sprint situation. It also
    > increases your pedaling smoothness for some reason, I don't know why. I get
    > the same result with my fixed gear bike.

    Good Morning Derek,

    Two things:

    First, you misunderstood my reply. There was no bashing of the UCI
    decision. The point was simply that there was a time where recumbent
    racers were consistently besting DF racers on terrain that wasn't
    flat. Believe it or not, I'm a recumbent rider and agree with the UCI
    decision because the basis was "....the race should be decided on the
    bicyclist....not the bicycle...", if I remember my UCI cycling history
    correctly. The other part of that is simply the UCI decision did
    change the course of bicycle design and production and thus mass
    market appeal. It's not woulda, coulda shoulda. It's just history.

    Second, you're right in just about everything else you say about the
    DF bike. What will be interesting is to see what happens down the
    line if up and coming fast bicycle racers decide to give the recumbent
    'highracer' design a try. What's great is that there are all kinds of
    bike designs for different situations. Like you, given a choice for
    city riding, I'll hop on my SAT R DAY and leave the Strada hanging in
    the garage.

    Third, for a race, what about a DF bike versus a highracer with NO
    PACELINE? You say: "..The upright bike is also faster than an
    unfaired bent, if the DF is in a group of smoothly working riders
    under ideal conditions." Just for fun, it would be interesting to
    see one bike versus another bike with riders of equal ability and NO
    PACE LINE. John Schlitter proved in "A" race that a bent can beat a
    DF. Granted, it be only one race. My opinion always has been that the
    bent wins on a flat to moderately rolling course and the DF wins on a
    hilly or very hilly course.

    Tailwinds

    Slow Joe Recumbo

  10. TM

    TM Guest

    "Joe Keenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Two things:
    >
    > First,

    <snip>
    > Second

    <snip>
    > Third,

    Sorry, I just had to tug your beard!

  11. Joe Keenan

    Joe Keenan Guest

    "TM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Joe Keenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Two things:
    > >
    > > First,

    > <snip>
    > > Second

    > <snip>
    > > Third,

    > Sorry, I just had to tug your beard!

    I'm not a full recumbo....I've only got a stache!!! But hey, tweaked
    is tweaked! And at my age I have random thoughts. Sometimes I
    actually remember some of them.

    Slow Joe

  12. TM

    TM Guest

  13. David Luecke

    David Luecke Guest

    The caption under the pic for the article says "peddle."

    --
    David Luecke
    Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!)