Only in NYC...

Looks more like a big-ass angle grinder (telling by the sparks)...

Illegally double-parked?

Owner caught downing a 48-ounce Big Gulp?

My guess is, that it was chained there without being moved over a relatively long period of time, and the proprietor of whatever is in the building got sick of looking at it.

The other possibility, seeing that barrier on the left, is that it's a parade route and the cops want it out of there, and couldn't find anyone who said it was theirs. NY has more parades than any other city I know of. Those moveable barriers are for crowd control.

The tool is probably some kind of power saw. The police vehicle is an ESU van (Emergency Services Unit) and those saws are used, among other purposes, for cutting trapped motorists out of crashed cars. The FD used one that had a particular brand name that they called it by, but it's been a long time since I left that looney bin of a place.

"My guess is, that it was chained there without being moved over a relatively long period of time, and the proprietor of whatever is in the building got sick of looking at it."

Can a bike worth more than a rock of crack sit for more than ten minutes in NYC without being stolen?

Victoria Beckham’s Bike stolen in NYC on Sep 9, 2013 http://www.reachnyc.com/victoria-beckhams-bike-stolen-in-nyc-2/

In a city that’s so divided, it’s good to know that bike thieves are equal opportunity swiper’s.

Pop star turned fashionista, Victoria Beckham, has revealed that she was the victim of a bike thief.

“So I won’t be riding home tonight then! x vb,” she tweeted. Beckham posted a picture of just one wheel of the bike still attached to a pole that the goon decided to leave behind on a city sidewalk.
Victoria Beckham is set to showcase her Victoria Beckham collection on Tuesday, Sept. 10 for New York’s Fashion Week.

Guess she’ll be taking a yellow cab.

"The tool is probably some kind of power saw."

Yeah. Chopsaw. Our FD's are stocked with Stihl saws and a locker full of abrasive discs. They make short work of sheet metal and a U-lock or chain would only take a few noisy seconds to melt thru.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/cut-off-machines/professional-cut-off-machines/

And...

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/rescue-saws/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
Can a bike worth more than a rock of crack sit for more than ten minutes in NYC without being stolen?

I guess thats how the "NYC Lock" got its name from...
big-smile.png

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
Victoria Beckham’s Bike stolen in NYC
"Fahggetabboudit"
big-smile.png

Quote: Originally Posted by mpre53 .

The other possibility, seeing that barrier on the left, is that it's a parade route and the cops want it out of there, and couldn't find anyone who said it was theirs. NY has more parades than any other city I know of. Those moveable barriers are for crowd control.

Or maybe a construction site is starting there. Guess they wont be sending a letter to the owner... becauuuse....... yep! Bikes dont have licence plates!!!
big-smile.png