Only six hours to go.

Simon Mason

Guest
The '04 Giant OCR1 which I tried to buy on e-bay last week
hit a snag with the paypal transfer thing. Apparently you
have to wait until your credit card bill arrives to get a 4
figure code to activate the thing, which came too late for
the end date. I have put in another bid for a different
road bike which ends at 2345 tonight and I'm still the
highest bidder.

Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't be
able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I won't
know if it's mine until I log on at work in the morning.
Fingers crossed :)

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason wrote:
> The '04 Giant OCR1 which I tried to buy on e-bay last week
> hit a snag with the paypal transfer thing. Apparently you
> have to wait until your credit card bill arrives to get a
> 4 figure code to activate the thing, which came too late
> for the end date. I have put in another bid for a
> different road bike which ends at 2345 tonight and I'm
> still the highest bidder.
>
> Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't
> be able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I
> won't know if it's mine until I log on at work in the
> morning. Fingers crossed :)

Can you not get someone to bid for you and set them your
limit? My experience is that most of the bidding happens in
the last few minutes.

Tony

Simon Mason wrote:

> The '04 Giant OCR1 which I tried to buy on e-bay last week
> hit a snag with the paypal transfer thing. Apparently you
> have to wait until your credit card bill arrives to get a
> 4 figure code to activate the thing, which came too late
> for the end date. I have put in another bid for a
> different road bike which ends at 2345 tonight and I'm
> still the highest bidder.
>
> Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't
> be able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I
> won't know if it's mine until I log on at work in the
> morning. Fingers crossed :)

Download Auction Sentry (free trial)

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> writes:
>The '04 Giant OCR1 which I tried to buy on e-bay last week
>hit a snag with the paypal transfer thing. Apparently you
>have to wait until your credit card bill arrives to get a 4
>figure code to activate the thing, which came too late for
>the end date. I have put in another bid for a different
>road bike which ends at 2345 tonight and I'm still the
>highest bidder.
>
>Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't be
>able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I won't
>know if it's mine until I log on at work in the morning.
>Fingers crossed :)

Too late for this one, but for the future try the free
sniper at www.vrane.com which will submit a last minute bid
(within 20 seconds of close of auction) for you. You can't
utterly depend on it, but as a failsafe extra bid for things
you really want, or for things you'd quite like for that
price but don't want to hang around for, it helps against
those people who carefully bid you up to just past your
limit at the end of the auction (so annoying!).

Claire
--
Still prettiest by far.

Tony Raven wrote:

> My experience is that most of the bidding happens in the
> last few minutes.

Everybody's probably using the same bid-sniping software.

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ "I dwelt alone in
a world of moan And my soul was a stagnant tide"

Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> writes:
>Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> My experience is that most of the bidding happens in the
>> last few minutes.
>
>Everybody's probably using the same bid-sniping software.

Nah. That's in the last few seconds *&)

I do bid in-person in the last few minutes for anything I'm
particularly interested in.

Claire
--
Still prettiest by far.

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 17:18:41 -0000, "Simon Mason"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The '04 Giant OCR1 which I tried to buy on e-bay last week
>hit a snag with the paypal transfer thing. Apparently you
>have to wait until your credit card bill arrives to get a 4
>figure code to activate the thing, which came too late for
>the end date. I have put in another bid for a different
>road bike which ends at 2345 tonight and I'm still the
>highest bidder.
>
>Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't be
>able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I won't
>know if it's mine until I log on at work in the morning.
>Fingers crossed :)

Simon, you need to find out about sniping software. Have a
look at http://www.auction-sentry.com for example. Often the
serious bidding on an eBay item doesn't start until the last
minute or two. This software will bid for you in the last
few seconds of the auction while you're fast asleep in bed
or out for a bike ride. It'll also tell you if you've won
without your having to log back into eBay.

Incidentally is this the ex-display Fondriest? If so there's
a neutral feedback against the seller from "assosman" who
bought a frame and claims it was not as described. This
unfortunately came in after you placed your bid. Good luck
in any case.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain

Claire posted ...

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> writes:
>> The '04 Giant OCR1 which I tried to buy on e-bay last
>> week hit a snag with the paypal transfer thing.
>> Apparently you have to wait until your credit card bill
>> arrives to get a 4 figure code to activate the thing,
>> which came too late for the end date. I have put in
>> another bid for a different road bike which ends at 2345
>> tonight and I'm still the highest bidder.
>>
>> Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't
>> be able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I
>> won't know if it's mine until I log on at work in the
>> morning. Fingers crossed :)
>
> Too late for this one, but for the future try the free
> sniper at www.vrane.com which will submit a last minute
> bid (within 20 seconds of close of auction) for you. You
> can't utterly depend on it, but as a failsafe extra bid
> for things you really want, or for things you'd quite like
> for that price but don't want to hang around for, it helps
> against those people who carefully bid you up to just past
> your limit at the end of the auction (so annoying!).

I disagree with 'sniping' software. I prefer to bid to my
limit and that's
it.

I do tend to make my limit _not_ a round figure though ..
say £101.53 .. and I've won a few things for that extra
£1.53 .. ;) I reckon it's the extra £0.03 that _really_
clinches it .. ;)

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

Simon Mason wrote:

> Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't
> be able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I
> won't know if it's mine until I log on at work in the
> morning. Fingers crossed :)

I've always been puzzled by the need many people apparently
feel to bid at the last minute. That brings with it the
possibililty that your bid just fails to be made in time
and I do not see how it can bring any advantages, other
than the hope that one of the competitors will be stupid
enough to do the same.

James

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 07:37:12 +0900, James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've always been puzzled by the need many people apparently
>feel to bid at the last minute. That brings with it the
>possibililty that your bid just fails to be made in time
>and I do not see how it can bring any advantages, other
>than the hope that one of the competitors will be stupid
>enough to do the same.

The advantages are significant. You will win more auctions,
and importantly, at lower prices by bidding at the very end.

The "just bid the most you are prepared to pay and leave it
alone" method is akin to leaving your hand face up on the
table when playing poker. Everyone else interested in the
item can see exactly what you are holding and you have
nowhere else to go.

There's oodles of **** for sale on ebay, and much of the
good stuff is way overpriced, but, their are occasional
gems. If you want to buy them at the best possible price
you should aim to bid in the last few seconds of the
auction. This isn't always going to be practical of course
because we have lives to get on with, but then sniping
software is the answer.

Best tactics are to place one bid, of the most you would be
willing to pay, and time it so it lands with about 10
seconds to go. This is easy enough now with broadband
connections, I've only ever missed one auction because I was
a few seconds too late. Also essential (and blindingly
obvious) is rounding up your bid. Don't go in at £30, use
£30.23 or whatever.

This method simply cuts right back on the opportunity other
people have to knock you off the high bidder spot. Those
interested parties sitting watching the auction at the end
just have no time to react to your final bid.
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't
>> be able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I
>> won't know if it's mine until I log on at work in the
>> morning. Fingers crossed :)
>
>I've always been puzzled by the need many people apparently
>feel to bid at the last minute. That brings with it the
>possibililty that your bid just fails to be made in time
>and I do not see how it can bring any advantages, other
>than the hope that one of the competitors will be stupid
>enough to do the same.

If everybody bid rationally you would be correct. However,
not everyone is as rational as you are.

--

Claire wrote:

> I do bid in-person in the last few minutes for anything
> I'm particularly interested in.

Why not just put in your maximum bid?

Ebay will 'automatically' bid up to that for you.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 17:18:41 -0000, "Simon Mason"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The '04 Giant OCR1 which I tried to buy on e-bay last
> >week hit a snag with the paypal transfer thing.
> >Apparently you have to wait until your credit card bill
> >arrives to get a 4 figure code to activate the thing,
> >which came too late for the end date. I have put in
> >another bid for a different road bike which ends at 2345
> >tonight and I'm still the highest bidder.
> >
> >Thing is, I've got to be up at 0515 tomorrow, so I won't
> >be able to put in any late bids as I'll be in bed. So I
> >won't know if it's mine until I log on at work in the
> >morning. Fingers crossed :)
>
> Simon, you need to find out about sniping software. Have a
> look at http://www.auction-sentry.com for example. Often
> the serious bidding on an eBay item doesn't start until
> the last minute or two. This software will bid for you in
> the last few seconds of the auction while you're fast
> asleep in bed or out for a bike ride. It'll also tell you
> if you've won without your having to log back into eBay.
>
> Incidentally is this the ex-display Fondriest? If so
> there's a neutral feedback against the seller from
> "assosman" who bought a frame and claims it was not as
> described. This unfortunately came in after you placed
> your bid. Good luck in any case.

I am an ebay newbie, having bid for one item and won it
first time. I just set my limit at £5 above the current bid
and went out on a ride. When I came back I had been outbid
twice and ebay had automatically riased my bid; the other
bidder gave up at 2.50 more than the original as he did not
know what I would go up to. OK it was for a forkless frame
so maybe limited appeal but ebay did exactly what I wanted
it to do without extra software.

news:[email protected]:

> I do tend to make my limit _not_ a round figure though ..
> say œ101.53 .. and I've won a few things for that extra
> œ1.53 .. ;) I reckon it's the extra œ0.03 that _really_
> clinches it .. ;)

That's how I got my last flat in Edinburgh a few years back.
I stuck 127 pounds on to the end of the sum and won by 27
pounds, so it's always worth doing.

Graeme

AndyMorris wrote:
> Claire wrote:
>>
>> I do bid in-person in the last few minutes for anything
>> I'm particularly interested in.
>
> Why not just put in your maximum bid?
>
> Ebay will 'automatically' bid up to that for you.

We had a debate about this a while ago. I now agree that
it's often better to bid at the last minute to minimise the
final price. You can get an edge over bidders who don't use
proxy bidding properly. Others are effectively encouraged to
outbid you otherwise. On the other hand, a high current
price can be offputting - so placing an early "medium" bid,
at least, serves some purpose.

~PB

Call me Bob wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 07:37:12 +0900, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I've always been puzzled by the need many people
>>apparently feel to bid at the last minute. That brings
>>with it the possibililty that your bid just fails to be
>>made in time and I do not see how it can bring any
>>advantages, other than the hope that one of the
>>competitors will be stupid enough to do the same.
>

> The advantages are significant. You will win more
> auctions, and importantly, at lower prices by bidding at
> the very end.
>
> The "just bid the most you are prepared to pay and leave
> it alone" method is akin to leaving your hand face up on
> the table when playing poker. Everyone else interested in
> the item can see exactly what you are holding and you have
> nowhere else to go.

No, they can only see the _current_ top bid, and they will
only find out your limit by exceeding it. Assuming your
bid really was your limit, once they have gone past it,
you don't care. There's a possibility of you gaining by
bidding late, but you can only achieve this gain at the
expense of another late-bidder, and unless the other
bidders are more stupid than you, it's just as likely that
you will be the loser (losing in this case means seeing
the product sold to someone else for a lower price than
you were prepared to bid).

James

Pete Biggs wrote:

> We had a debate about this a while ago. I now agree that
> it's often better to bid at the last minute to minimise
> the final price. You can get an edge over bidders who
> don't use proxy bidding properly. Others are effectively
> encouraged to outbid you otherwise. On the other hand, a
> high current price can be offputting - so placing an early
> "medium" bid, at least, serves some purpose.

Must be someone somewhere writing a PhD thesis on Game
Theory and EBay bidding ;-)

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:

> Must be someone somewhere writing a PhD thesis on Game
> Theory and EBay bidding ;-)

But the problem is too easy. The only interesting "win" is
to buy a product at a price lower than some other bidder was
wiling to pay (but did not bid), and the only interesting
"loss" is to see a product sold to someone else at a price
below what you were willing to pay. A sniping bidder can
only "win" when another sniping bidders "loses", and an
early bidder will never lose but can still win if another
sniper doesn't get their bid in on time. The only possible
penalty of being an early bidder is that it could reduce the
probability of a win, but (since every win is matched to a
loss) changing from an early to a sniping strategy means
that the slightly greater chance of a win is matched by the
chance of a loss.

It's like playing on the stock market. There are those who
claim they can "beat the market", but since it is a zero-sum
game, half of them are wrong and are in fact making losses
to match (exceed, taking account of dealing costs) the
claimed gains.

James

Tony Raven posted ...

> Pete Biggs wrote:
>>
>> We had a debate about this a while ago. I now agree that
>> it's often better to bid at the last minute to minimise
>> the final price. You can get an edge over bidders who
>> don't use proxy bidding properly. Others are effectively
>> encouraged to outbid you otherwise. On the other hand, a
>> high current price can be offputting - so placing an
>> early "medium" bid, at least, serves some purpose.
>>

> Must be someone somewhere writing a PhD thesis on Game
> Theory and EBay bidding ;-)

Wouldn't that be akin ti chaos theory .. at least where
Ebay's concerned. ;)

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:28:59 +0900, James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>No, they can only see the _current_ top bid, and they will
>only find out your limit by exceeding it. Assuming your
>bid really was your limit, once they have gone past it,
>you don't care. There's a possibility of you gaining by
>bidding late, but you can only achieve this gain at the
>expense of another late-bidder, and unless the other
>bidders are more stupid than you, it's just as likely that
>you will be the loser (losing in this case means seeing
>the product sold to someone else for a lower price than
>you were prepared to bid).

If you can't see the benefit of sniping then it's not me
who's the stupid one.

Your logic here is badly flawed, it assumes everyone else
bidding against you has got their head screwed on, but of
course the truth is the world's full of halfwits.

Sniping costs me nothing. I don't spend any longer placing
my single bid than you do. It is as simple and
straightforward as your method. It does not disadvantage me
in any way.

You've mentioned a couple of times the risks of missing out
by being a fraction too late but this risk really is very
small. Pay attention and there's no reason why you can't
place a final bid within 20 seconds of auction end virtually
everytime. Either personally if you happen to be at home or
by using sniping software.

So, I lose nothing by sniping but there are myriad
circumstances in which I will benefit over your method.
Consider one example:

You're browsing ebay and spot a SuperWidget which is just
what you've been after. It's worth 30 quid to you so you
place your early maximum bid straight away, this leaves you
in the high bidder position at, say, 10 pounds. You then
leave the auction to its own devices for the final few days.
What if there is only one other serious bidder for this
SuperWidget, Fred, and he is prepared to pay 25 pounds for
it? Along he comes, and places a bid of 12 quid, no, ebay
tells him that's not enough, so he bumps it up to 15
quid.... nope, still not enough and so he bids again. He
keeps doing this until he reaches the £25 he's prepared to
pay and finds it's not enough to dislodge you from the high
bidder spot. He's now had enough and off he wanders.

Auction end rolls around and you win the item for £26.

Now consider the sniping method in the same auction:

I see the SuperWidget when browsing and add it to my Ebay
watch list. A few days later along comes Fred and finds the
auction, he places his bid of £10 pounds which, as I
haven't placed an offer yet, is enough to secure him high
bidder spot. He's happy at that so off he toddles, planning
on checking back to see how things are going. Auction end
rolls around and Fred is still in the hot seat, but, with
20 seconds to go my bid of £30.76 is placed. I take high
bidder spot at a price of 11 quid and Fred, even if he's
sitting at his pc watching, has bugger all time left to do
anything about it.

I win the item for £11.

Granted, this example is over simplified, but I'm just
trying to illustrate the point. Sniping will win you
auctions, or save you money, in auctions where your bidding
rivals do not use (or understand) the ebay proxy system.