Ooh! me bum...

Neale

Guest
In an attempt to regain some fitness I have returned to cycling. At the
moment I am limited to inddors work, and have set my old road bike up on a
Tacx trainer. I am using the Catalyst program to cycle to a given heart
rate. I am comfortably managing 40 minutes of moderate training, but there
is no way I could do more, Not because of my heart/lungs/legs - its just
killing my ****!

Is this normal after a long spell of not much cycling. I have cycled 140
miles on this bike in a day a few years ago, but can't imagine getting close
to that now!

Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my, er,
perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.

Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

Neale said:
In an attempt to regain some fitness I have returned to cycling. At the
moment I am limited to inddors work, and have set my old road bike up on a
Tacx trainer. I am using the Catalyst program to cycle to a given heart
rate. I am comfortably managing 40 minutes of moderate training, but there
is no way I could do more, Not because of my heart/lungs/legs - its just
killing my ****!

Is this normal after a long spell of not much cycling. I have cycled 140
miles on this bike in a day a few years ago, but can't imagine getting close
to that now!

Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my, er,
perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.

Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

Have you looked at your local bike shop there are many really comfortable improved design saddles these days.

I personally find a traditional saddle very uncomfortable and use the new designs which have a "cuttaway/gap" in the middle which puts more weight on your "sit bones"

"Neale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In an attempt to regain some fitness I have returned to cycling. At the
> moment I am limited to inddors work, and have set my old road bike up on a
> Tacx trainer. I am using the Catalyst program to cycle to a given heart
> rate. I am comfortably managing 40 minutes of moderate training, but there
> is no way I could do more, Not because of my heart/lungs/legs - its just
> killing my ****!
>
> Is this normal after a long spell of not much cycling. I have cycled 140
> miles on this bike in a day a few years ago, but can't imagine getting

close
> to that now!
>
> Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my, er,
> perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.
>
> Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

Adjust the height, tilt or position of the saddle.

Look back at lots of threads on the matter.

Neale wrote:
> In an attempt to regain some fitness I have returned to cycling. At

the
> moment I am limited to inddors work, and have set my old road bike up

on a
> Tacx trainer. I am using the Catalyst program to cycle to a given

heart
> rate. I am comfortably managing 40 minutes of moderate training, but

there
> is no way I could do more, Not because of my heart/lungs/legs - its

just
> killing my ****!
>
> Is this normal after a long spell of not much cycling. I have cycled

140
> miles on this bike in a day a few years ago, but can't imagine

getting close
> to that now!
>
> Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my,

er,
> perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.
>
> Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

Hi there.

One of the problems with turbo training is that you stay in the same
position for a long time, with no wee bumps in the road to alter your
exact contact on the saddle.

You can try and alleviate this by the occasional out-of-the-saddle
burst on the turbo. Or try sitting on different parts of the saddle:
get down in the drops and sit on the nose of the saddle - pretending
you're in a time trial; put your hands on the flats and move to the
back of the saddle and pretend you're climbing Alp D'Huez...

Alternatively, just wear two pairs of padded shorts until you get used
to it...

Cheers, Andy

www.stirling-tri.co.uk

[email protected] wrote:

> Neale wrote:

>>Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my,

> er,
>
>>perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.
>>
>>Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

> Hi there.
>
> One of the problems with turbo training is that you stay in the same
> position for a long time, with no wee bumps in the road to alter your
> exact contact on the saddle.

I suspect that (a large?) part of the problem is due to vibration. The
turbo trainer is clamped directly onto the dropouts, so its vibration
goes straight up to your ****. Nevertheless, the solution is the same.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.