Ooh! me bum...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Neale, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Neale

    Neale Guest

    In an attempt to regain some fitness I have returned to cycling. At the
    moment I am limited to inddors work, and have set my old road bike up on a
    Tacx trainer. I am using the Catalyst program to cycle to a given heart
    rate. I am comfortably managing 40 minutes of moderate training, but there
    is no way I could do more, Not because of my heart/lungs/legs - its just
    killing my arse!

    Is this normal after a long spell of not much cycling. I have cycled 140
    miles on this bike in a day a few years ago, but can't imagine getting close
    to that now!

    Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my, er,
    perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.

    Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

    Tags:

  2. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Have you looked at your local bike shop there are many really comfortable improved design saddles these days.

    I personally find a traditional saddle very uncomfortable and use the new designs which have a "cuttaway/gap" in the middle which puts more weight on your "sit bones"

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Neale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In an attempt to regain some fitness I have returned to cycling. At the
    > moment I am limited to inddors work, and have set my old road bike up on a
    > Tacx trainer. I am using the Catalyst program to cycle to a given heart
    > rate. I am comfortably managing 40 minutes of moderate training, but there
    > is no way I could do more, Not because of my heart/lungs/legs - its just
    > killing my arse!
    >
    > Is this normal after a long spell of not much cycling. I have cycled 140
    > miles on this bike in a day a few years ago, but can't imagine getting

    close
    > to that now!
    >
    > Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my, er,
    > perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.
    >
    > Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

    Adjust the height, tilt or position of the saddle.

    Look back at lots of threads on the matter.

  4. Tony W

  5. Neale wrote:
    > In an attempt to regain some fitness I have returned to cycling. At

    the
    > moment I am limited to inddors work, and have set my old road bike up

    on a
    > Tacx trainer. I am using the Catalyst program to cycle to a given

    heart
    > rate. I am comfortably managing 40 minutes of moderate training, but

    there
    > is no way I could do more, Not because of my heart/lungs/legs - its

    just
    > killing my arse!
    >
    > Is this normal after a long spell of not much cycling. I have cycled

    140
    > miles on this bike in a day a few years ago, but can't imagine

    getting close
    > to that now!
    >
    > Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my,

    er,
    > perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.
    >
    > Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

    Hi there.

    One of the problems with turbo training is that you stay in the same
    position for a long time, with no wee bumps in the road to alter your
    exact contact on the saddle.

    You can try and alleviate this by the occasional out-of-the-saddle
    burst on the turbo. Or try sitting on different parts of the saddle:
    get down in the drops and sit on the nose of the saddle - pretending
    you're in a time trial; put your hands on the flats and move to the
    back of the saddle and pretend you're climbing Alp D'Huez...

    Alternatively, just wear two pairs of padded shorts until you get used
    to it...

    Cheers, Andy

    www.stirling-tri.co.uk

  6. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Neale wrote:

    >>Its a cross between a really painful ache and pins and needles in my,

    > er,
    >
    >>perineum. Ive been cycling every other day for a week or two.
    >>
    >>Is it the sort of thiung that just goes?

    > Hi there.
    >
    > One of the problems with turbo training is that you stay in the same
    > position for a long time, with no wee bumps in the road to alter your
    > exact contact on the saddle.

    I suspect that (a large?) part of the problem is due to vibration. The
    turbo trainer is clamped directly onto the dropouts, so its vibration
    goes straight up to your arse. Nevertheless, the solution is the same.

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.