Ooh my aching thumbs

Bryan

New Member
May 1, 2003
Just fitted an Open corsa evo kx, god it was tight, managed to ping the inner tube 3 times before finally getting it on properly (at least I know know hoew to do it , fingers crossed). I'd better not a visit from the p*nct*r* fairy tiomorrow :)

What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think I tried everything I know.

Bryan

Bryan wrote:
> Just fitted an Open corsa evo kx, god it was tight, managed to ping th
> inner tube 3 times before finally getting it on properly (at least
> know know hoew to do it , fingers crossed). I'd better not a visi
> from the p*nct*r* fairy tiomorrow :)
>
> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, thin
> I tried everything I know.

The var tyre lever.
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/chrisg?entry=product_of_the_day

You can get them from the old CTC shop:

<URL:http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/quikstore.pl?store=&search=yes&detail=yes&product=TYS42&category=&keywords=var%20&hits_seen=40&page=search.html&and=&affiliate_id=>

<URL:http://tinyurl.com/mu4py>

Bryan wrote:

> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think
> I tried everything I know.

Fit the tyre 4-5 times without the inner tube in. Put it on, take it
off. Repeat. This will help loosen it.

I've found that some tyres/rim combinations are just too much pain
to be worth it. Michelen ProRace on Campag rims was the one that
got me. Getting the tyres on always involved much swearing and the
use of tyre levers. I swapped to Schwable Stelvios and the problem
went away.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

Arthur Clune said:
Bryan wrote:

> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think
> I tried everything I know.

Fit the tyre 4-5 times without the inner tube in. Put it on, take it
off. Repeat. This will help loosen it.

I've found that some tyres/rim combinations are just too much pain
to be worth it. Michelen ProRace on Campag rims was the one that
got me. Getting the tyres on always involved much swearing and the
use of tyre levers. I swapped to Schwable Stelvios and the problem
went away.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

I think that's the way I'm going to go unfortunately, it wouldn't be so bad but you have to spend good money to find this out. Why is it that tyre manufatcures seem to make tyres that are too small for the stated rim size? I know they want a good fit, but some tyres are completely ridiculous. Rim depth does vary, but not that much, and 700C should be 700C, so why make tyres too small? I've had tyres that you can slip off with minimal effort that have never given me any problems whilst in use.

Bryan

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:40:44 +1000, Bryan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just fitted an Open corsa evo kx, god it was tight, managed to ping the
>inner tube 3 times before finally getting it on properly (at least I
>know know hoew to do it , fingers crossed). I'd better not a visit
>from the p*nct*r* fairy tiomorrow :)
>
>What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think
>I tried everything I know.
>
>Bryan

Not a tight fit. Aching! where was the blood?

In general new folding tyres are harder to put on than those with a
steel bead. Fortunately if you have offered insincere prayers to the
puncture fairy you will find the tyre easier to fit as it has been
stretched a bit by the original fitting and riding.

Other factors that make tyre hard to fit. Too much air in the inner
tube (you want some to avoid trapping the tube). Thick or badly
fitted rim tape (a single layer of the correct width velox is all that
is required). An overlarge inner tube (Continentals one size fits
all, tube free with their 28mm tyres is a very bad joke). Badly
trimmed bead (Hutchinson are guilty of this)

I can not offer much practical advise. My changes over the past few
years been fairly easy. (I have given up on the free Conti tubes,
pushes on easily with the conti tube or third party ones).

In the bad old days I used to partially fit the tyre then grab it
three and nine o'clock and push down. In theory this pulled the tyre
tight on the fitted side so that the unfitted side had a fractionally
more tyre to play with.

Bryan wrote:

> I think that's the way I'm going to go unfortunately, it wouldn't be so
> bad but you have to spend good money to find this out. Why is it that
> tyre manufatcures seem to make tyres that are too small for the stated
> rim size? I know they want a good fit, but some tyres are completely
> ridiculous. Rim depth does vary, but not that much, and 700C should be
> 700C, so why make tyres too small?

Seems to happen a lot these days (see my thread about steel-bead
Vittoria Zaffiros from a few months ago); maybe it's a consequence of
the manufacturing processes currently used causing shrinkage and/or
reduced elasticity?

David Belcher

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:58:41 +0100, Chris Gerhard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, thin
>> I tried everything I know.

>The var tyre lever.

You should not need tyre levers to fit most lightweight tyres such as
the ones mentioned above.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, thin
>> I tried everything I know.

>The var tyre lever.

You should not need tyre levers to fit most lightweight tyres such as
the ones mentioned above.

Exactly my thoughts, however I was having to use 2 levers, something I don't do (occasionally one if I have a tight fitting tyre), this was one of the worst tyres iIve had to fit (I did once have a steel beaded slick on my mtb that ended up with me hitting a metal lever with a hammer to get the thing off, I didn;t put it back on :). When I got up this morning, flat tyre again, so I must have pinched the tube again. Even if I get the tyre on properly I doub't I'll dare ride it as if the p*nct*re* fairy is having a bad day, I'll never get eh thing back on again :-(

You live and learn they say, but with this tyre it seems you live learn and end up poorer. (I have emailed Vittoria, but don't hold out much hope).

Oh well off to try and find some new tyres in a bit (again not holding out much hope, H*lf*rds is the neasrest stockist), I need them as I'm doing my first big ride of the year, tomorrow London - Brimingham, so need all the help I can get :)

Bryan

"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think
> I tried everything I know.

The most important thing is to get the bit that's already on the wheel into
the lowest point on the rim - ie push the bead into the middle.

(of course this doesn't help much with rims with flat bottoms (tops?), and
of course you may already be doing this. But I thought it worth a mention.)

cheers,
clive

Bryan wrote:
> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think
> I tried everything I know.

In case you're not already doing this:

Make sure that the section of the bead that is already installed is
pushed into the centre of the rim. Most rims have a smaller
circumference in the centre than at the edges where the bead usually sits.

The pressure in the inner tube and the 'springyness' of the tyre will
keep pushing the bead back out again, so every time the bead gets tight
as you push it over the rim wall, work round the full circumference of
the wheel to push the already installed bead back in to the centre.

Anthony

Bryan wrote:
> Just fitted an Open corsa evo kx, god it was tight, managed to ping the
> inner tube 3 times before finally getting it on properly (at least I
> know know hoew to do it , fingers crossed). I'd better not a visit
> from the p*nct*r* fairy tiomorrow :)

What rims? Vittoria Open Corsa are notoriously hard to fit to some
Mavic rims, eg the Open Pro.

--
Dave...

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:10:02 +1000, Bryan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I think that's the way I'm going to go unfortunately, it wouldn't be so
>bad but you have to spend good money to find this out. Why is it that
>tyre manufatcures seem to make tyres that are too small for the stated
>rim size? I know they want a good fit, but some tyres are completely
>ridiculous. Rim depth does vary, but not that much, and 700C should be
>700C, so why make tyres too small? I've had tyres that you can slip off
>with minimal effort that have never given me any problems whilst in
>use.
>
>Bryan

What size are your tyre and tube?

I mentioned Continental 28mm tyres. They come free with a tube called
Tour28-All which they claim can be used on 700C x 28 - 47. Well I
have Mavic T519 rims, Velox Rim Tape, and 28mm Contact Tyres. This
combination is almost impossible to fit with tyre levers. I thought it
was me then my LBS refused to fit them ever again. Swap in a less
ambitious tube for example Contis own Tour28-Slim 700Cx28-37 then the
tyre fits with no difficulty with fingers alone.

If you are using the 700x23 tyre with a 23 and up tube then perhaps
using an upto 23 tube could help. Vittoria's tube is 700x19-23 so may
be smaller than many alternatives.

dkahn400 said:
Bryan wrote:
> Just fitted an Open corsa evo kx, god it was tight, managed to ping the
> inner tube 3 times before finally getting it on properly (at least I
> know know hoew to do it , fingers crossed). I'd better not a visit
> from the p*nct*r* fairy tiomorrow :)

What rims? Vittoria Open Corsa are notoriously hard to fit to some
Mavic rims, eg the Open Pro.

--
Dave...

Mavic MA3 (and even an old MA40 (tried it on both :-( )

Yes I have been pushing it into the centre of the rim (even that's bloody hard), and I've got Velox rim tape in place.

Lunch time trip to shops resulted in new inner tubes as H*lf*rds had no 'proper' road tyres in, and not so LBS, didn't have any ('delivery coming in this afternoon, but we shut at 5').

So it's either try and try again tonight (thank god for Poundland puncture kits :), or put the old tyres on, hope they last, and order some new ones off t'internet next week.

So what do the panel think

Grand Prix 4000
Grand Prix Attack/Force
Stelvio Evo's?
Something else?

Bryan

Bryan wrote:

> Just fitted an Open corsa evo kx, god it was tight, managed to ping
> the inner tube 3 times before finally getting it on properly (at
> least I know know hoew to do it , fingers crossed). I'd better not a
> visit from the p*nct*r* fairy tiomorrow :)
>
> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think
> I tried everything I know.

I have the same problem with Vittorias, very tight fit.
I use Tacx levers, they have a bit of an extra lip which helps. I
really have to try some other tyres, but the Vittorias are cheap ;)

--
Mike

"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just fitted an Open corsa evo kx, god it was tight, managed to ping the
> inner tube 3 times before finally getting it on properly (at least I
> know know hoew to do it , fingers crossed). I'd better not a visit
> from the p*nct*r* fairy tiomorrow :)
>
> What are the best tips on getting tight fitting tyres onto rims, think
> I tried everything I know.
>
> Bryan
>

> --
> Bryan

What on earth are your rims? Please tell me so I can avoid them. I use the
same tyres because they are easy to get on and off my rims - I mean really
easy! I'm female with small hands and can push them onto mavic pros with my
thumbs.

Julia