Oooofff!! That bloody hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Call Me Bob

Crashed today. My own silly fault, didn't heed the warning....

On way to work and had a bit of a moment when my tyres skittered quite badly under me as I rounded a
sharpish corner. 5 minutes later was in another fast bend when the rear wheel stepped out badly, in
an instant I went from "Oh ****!" to "Way hey! I'm alright!" and back to "Oh ****!" once more. I'd
felt it go, catch again, then felt myself hurled into the air in a huge high side launch. I didn't
half fly. The landing was rather nasty though.

Obviously no cagers bothered to stop for even a moment to ask if I was okay. As I lay in the road
bleeding and dazed they all just motored on around me like I was some inconvenient road debris.
Miserable bastards.

My new EBC Courier has certainly taken some punishment in the few weeks I've owned it, poor thing.
It's as if it knows its job and is going about picking up the dirt and dents necessary to deter
thieves with gusto and of its own accord. Good lad.

Anyone else ride on Specialized Fat Boys? They've given me a fright quite a few times in the weeks
since I fitted them and was wondering how others found them? Perhaps I'm just expecting too much
from them.... ho hum.

(You should see the colours I'm coming up in!!)

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

Steady as she goes, or *he* goes, rather ! Glad to see you're basically ok.

Reading your post, I'm slightly confused about why these tyres behave in the way that they do. Was
tyre pressue (under inflation) an issue do you think?

bob

>
>On way to work and had a bit of a moment when my tyres skittered quite badly under me as I rounded
>a sharpish corner. 5 minutes later was in another fast bend when the rear wheel stepped out badly,
>in an instant I went from "Oh ****!" to "Way hey! I'm alright!" and back to "Oh ****!" once more.
>I'd felt it go, catch again, then felt myself hurled into the air in a huge high side launch. I
>didn't half fly. The landing was rather nasty though.
>
>Obviously no cagers bothered to stop for even a moment to ask if I was okay. As I lay in the road
>bleeding and dazed they all just motored on around me like I was some inconvenient road debris.
>Miserable bastards.
>
>My new EBC Courier has certainly taken some punishment in the few weeks I've owned it, poor thing.
>It's as if it knows its job and is going about picking up the dirt and dents necessary to deter
>thieves with gusto and of its own accord. Good lad.
>
>Anyone else ride on Specialized Fat Boys? They've given me a fright quite a few times in the weeks
>since I fitted them and was wondering how others found them? Perhaps I'm just expecting too much
>from them.... ho hum.
>
>(You should see the colours I'm coming up in!!)
>
>
>Bob

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:03:08 +0000, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

>Reading your post, I'm slightly confused about why these tyres behave in the way that they do. Was
>tyre pressue (under inflation) an issue do you think?

No, definitely not. Over inflation may be an issue, but not under. The Fat Boys are rated at 100psi
which is what I run 'em at, I'd topped up the rear only this morning just before setting out.
Perhaps I should try a slightly lower pressure and see if it makes them less jittery.

I run the Axial Pros on my road bike at much higher pressure though and they've never given me any
trouble, and I regularly demand more from them than these Specialized ones.

Bob
--

In news:[email protected], Call me Bob <[email protected]> typed:
> Crashed today. My own silly fault, didn't heed the warning....
>
> On way to work and had a bit of a moment when my tyres skittered quite badly under me as I rounded
> a sharpish corner. 5 minutes later was in another fast bend when the rear wheel stepped out badly,

Diesel? There were loads of puddles of diesel (small amounts, enough to cause you to skid but not
huge spills) on the way into work today including the ramp into the staff car (and bike) park ....

Alex

Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:03:08 +0000, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Reading your post, I'm slightly confused about why these tyres behave in the way that they do.
> >Was tyre pressue (under inflation) an issue do you think?
>
> No, definitely not. Over inflation may be an issue, but not under. The Fat Boys are rated at
> 100psi which is what I run 'em at, I'd topped up the rear only this morning just before setting
> out. Perhaps I should try a slightly lower pressure and see if it makes them less jittery.
>
> I run the Axial Pros on my road bike at much higher pressure though and they've never given me any
> trouble, and I regularly demand more from them than these Specialized ones.
>
>
> Bob
> --
> Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

Blimey...glad your OK. Must admit I've never heard of tyres behaving like that, not even baldies
which I think the Fatboys are? Could there have been oil on the road or something?...although
strange because the incidents were 5 minutes apart.

Photograph the coloured bits. something to look back on!

--
Mark

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build] wrote:

> Diesel? There were loads of puddles of diesel (small amounts, enough to cause you to skid but not
> huge spills) on the way into work today including the ramp into the staff car (and bike) park ....
>
> Alex

Riding through diesel on the road yesterday I was glad of me salmon guards :)

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling/ http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

Call me Bob wrote:
> Over inflation may be an issue, but not under. The Fat Boys are rated at 100psi which is what I
> run 'em at, I'd topped up the rear only this morning just before setting out. Perhaps I should try
> a slightly lower pressure and see if it makes them less jittery.

Do you have the front one at or near 100psi? I don't know the Fat Boys, but in general, I think
manufacturer's max's are a sensible pressure for *rear* tyres (plus or minus a bit to account for
weight & conditions, and over-conservatism from the manuf'). It's taken me long enough to realise
myself (and I still don't put it into practice enough): that front tyres should be /significantly/
softer than rears because they carry so much less weight. Compare how much the front tyre bulges out
when sitting on the bike to the rear. It should be look about the same.

Bad luck. Hope you & bike get better soon!

~PB

Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote

> Riding through diesel on the road yesterday I was glad of me salmon guards :)

Yeah, I know just what you mean. There's nowt worse than riding through a diesel slick and getting
all covered in salmon.

- Bill -

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:46:39 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Must admit I've never heard of tyres behaving like that, not even baldies which I think the
>Fatboys are?

Yes, completely slick.

>Could there have been oil on the road or something?

Mmm, possibly, couldn't see anything when I passed the same spot today (and I was sure going slower
this time :eek:) )

>Photograph the coloured bits. something to look back on!

I think they'll be with me for a good while without photos, heh.

Bob
--

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:23:13 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Do you have the front one at or near 100psi? I don't know the Fat Boys, but in general, I think
>manufacturer's max's are a sensible pressure for *rear* tyres (plus or minus a bit to account for
>weight & conditions, and over-conservatism from the manuf'). It's taken me long enough to realise
>myself (and I still don't put it into practice enough): that front tyres should be /significantly/
>softer than rears because they carry so much less weight. Compare how much the front tyre bulges
>out when sitting on the bike to the rear. It should be look about the same.

That's a good point Pete, I do run front and rear at same pressure. I'd be tempted though to
increase the pressure in the rear to "balance" them up, but of course that would defeat the
objective of more grip.

I'll force myself to let some air out.

Soon.

Honest.

Bob
--

In news:[email protected],

Bill Robertson <[email protected]> typed:

> Yeah, I know just what you mean. There's nowt worse than riding through a diesel slick and getting
> all covered in salmon.

and with the amount of big cats that are supposed to be roaming some woods in the UK you may end up
having to ride like the African chap in the old Raleigh advert (who is smiling broadly and laughing
as he has ridden a 3-speed roadster faster than a lion - the lion is pictured behind him panting and
looking quite exhausted).

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.