Ooops me backs gorn!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Satchmo, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Satchmo

    Satchmo Guest

    I think I momentarily popped a disc in my back the other day whilst out riding.<groan>

    I have a large frame GT I-Drive 4 mountain bike ( I'm 6'1") and ride a 16 mile off-road circuit most
    days. I have recently increased the height of my handle bars by using a AHead extender. I found with
    my old setting I was getting a sore back after 10-12 miles so I thought I'd try raising the bar
    height even further (I was alreasy using 2.5 inch riser bars because the AHead stem was cut pretty
    low by default on the GT)

    Does anyone know if there is a recommended 'torso-angle' that I should be trying to achieve so at to
    minimise the risk of further back injury ?

    Cheers

    Satchmo

    Tags:

  2. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Satchmo wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there is a recommended 'torso-angle' that I should be trying to achieve so at
    > to minimise the risk of further back injury ?

    I've had cause to do quite a lot of web-surfing on this matter over the last few months. Avoiding
    bending over too much seems to be the only thing that might matter wrt cycling. It's probably not
    torso angle so much as spine curvature that you might wish to avoid. Everyone seems to agree that
    keeping exercising is a Good Thing, but I wonder whether this advice is aimed more at the type whose
    main exercise is walking to the car rather than people who are rather more energetic. I've kept on
    as usual and my back has gradually got worse over the past 4 months.

    How did you hurt your back while cycling? Obviously you want to avoid doing that again!

    James

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Satchmo wrote:
    > Does anyone know if there is a recommended 'torso-angle' that I should be trying to achieve so at
    > to minimise the risk of further back injury ?

    No, but the moutain bike sizing system at www.wrenchscience.com may be of some assistance, as may
    your LBS if they have a bike fit machine.

    HTH

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. Satchmo

    Satchmo Guest

    >How did you hurt your back while cycling? Obviously you want to avoid doing that again!

    That's the strange thing about it...I wasn't doing anything spectacular, I had just turned onto a
    nice bit of single track and was just about to 'pick up the pace' .

    Felt a 'pop' in my lower back, I slipped a dsc real bad about 15 years ago...but I've not really had
    a problem with lower-back pain since!

    Cheers

    Satchmo

  5. Satchmo

    Satchmo Guest

    >No, but the moutain bike sizing system at www.wrenchscience.com may be of some assistance, as may
    >your LBS if they have a bike fit machine.
    >
    >HTH

    Thanks for the link...I've never heard of a bike-fit machine!

    I'm going to try the wrenchscience site as you recommended..I'll get my wife to measure me up
    tonight ..lucky girl <g>

    Cheers Satchmo...'suit you sir?'

  6. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Satchmo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >How did you hurt your back while cycling? Obviously you want to avoid doing that again!
    > >

    > That's the strange thing about it...I wasn't doing anything spectacular, I had just turned onto a
    > nice bit of single track and was just about to 'pick up the pace' .
    >
    > Felt a 'pop' in my lower back, I slipped a dsc real bad about 15 years ago...but I've not really
    > had a problem with lower-back pain since!

    I don't really understand this, because AIUI most slipped discs don't cause much pain in the back
    itself, the problem being pressure on nerves especially sciatica. Are you sure it isn't some sort of
    strained muscle?

    James

  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Satchmo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Felt a 'pop' in my lower back, I slipped a dsc real bad about 15 years ago...but I've not really
    > had a problem with lower-back pain since!

    You may have displaced a vertebra. It could be worth getting an osteopath to have a look at it.

    --
    Dave...