Ooops me backs gorn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Satchmo

I think I momentarily popped a disc in my back the other day whilst out riding.<groan>

I have a large frame GT I-Drive 4 mountain bike ( I'm 6'1") and ride a 16 mile off-road circuit most
days. I have recently increased the height of my handle bars by using a AHead extender. I found with
my old setting I was getting a sore back after 10-12 miles so I thought I'd try raising the bar
height even further (I was alreasy using 2.5 inch riser bars because the AHead stem was cut pretty
low by default on the GT)

Does anyone know if there is a recommended 'torso-angle' that I should be trying to achieve so at to
minimise the risk of further back injury ?

Cheers

Satchmo

Satchmo wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a recommended 'torso-angle' that I should be trying to achieve so at
> to minimise the risk of further back injury ?

I've had cause to do quite a lot of web-surfing on this matter over the last few months. Avoiding
bending over too much seems to be the only thing that might matter wrt cycling. It's probably not
torso angle so much as spine curvature that you might wish to avoid. Everyone seems to agree that
keeping exercising is a Good Thing, but I wonder whether this advice is aimed more at the type whose
main exercise is walking to the car rather than people who are rather more energetic. I've kept on
as usual and my back has gradually got worse over the past 4 months.

How did you hurt your back while cycling? Obviously you want to avoid doing that again!

James

Satchmo wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a recommended 'torso-angle' that I should be trying to achieve so at
> to minimise the risk of further back injury ?

No, but the moutain bike sizing system at www.wrenchscience.com may be of some assistance, as may
your LBS if they have a bike fit machine.

HTH

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

>How did you hurt your back while cycling? Obviously you want to avoid doing that again!
>

That's the strange thing about it...I wasn't doing anything spectacular, I had just turned onto a
nice bit of single track and was just about to 'pick up the pace' .

Felt a 'pop' in my lower back, I slipped a dsc real bad about 15 years ago...but I've not really had
a problem with lower-back pain since!

Cheers

Satchmo

>No, but the moutain bike sizing system at www.wrenchscience.com may be of some assistance, as may
>your LBS if they have a bike fit machine.
>
>HTH

Thanks for the link...I've never heard of a bike-fit machine!

I'm going to try the wrenchscience site as you recommended..I'll get my wife to measure me up
tonight ..lucky girl <g>

Cheers Satchmo...'suit you sir?'

Satchmo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >How did you hurt your back while cycling? Obviously you want to avoid doing that again!
> >
>
> That's the strange thing about it...I wasn't doing anything spectacular, I had just turned onto a
> nice bit of single track and was just about to 'pick up the pace' .
>
> Felt a 'pop' in my lower back, I slipped a dsc real bad about 15 years ago...but I've not really
> had a problem with lower-back pain since!

I don't really understand this, because AIUI most slipped discs don't cause much pain in the back
itself, the problem being pressure on nerves especially sciatica. Are you sure it isn't some sort of
strained muscle?

James

Satchmo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Felt a 'pop' in my lower back, I slipped a dsc real bad about 15 years ago...but I've not really
> had a problem with lower-back pain since!

You may have displaced a vertebra. It could be worth getting an osteopath to have a look at it.

--
Dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.