Oops...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dirtylitterboxo, May 22, 2004.

  1. Was cycling up a short but steep hill today. Went to click
    down a gear. All of a sudden no forward momentum of bike,
    but a blur of whizzing pedals. Chain had come off. Cue
    frantic, wimpy girlie wails as I realise my predicament as
    the bike stalls and I try to unclip foot from pedal doing
    what feels like 180rpm...

    Luckily I managed to retain a small amount of dignity,
    unclip and stop properly without falling off and being a
    total lemon :)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

    Tags:

  2. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

    > Was cycling up a short but steep hill today. Went to click
    > down a gear. All of a sudden no forward momentum of bike,
    > but a blur of whizzing pedals. Chain had come off. Cue
    > frantic, wimpy girlie wails as I realise my predicament as
    > the bike stalls and I try to unclip foot from pedal doing
    > what feels like 180rpm...

    Hmm, due to aging floppiness of front mech at the moment,
    I've had to slacken off top stop screw so that I can change
    up to larger chain ring. This involves hauling front changer
    lever way past where the change should take place and then
    easing it back immediately the chain engages. Sometimes I do
    get it wrong and the chain overshoots and ends up rattling
    around my crank and foot. I've become extreemly adept at
    getting it back on the crank without stopping and still
    traffic jamming through the Birmingham rush hour. David
    Millar should take a few lessons from me! ;-)

    BTW. I will get the mech replaced as soon as I find that
    elusive circular tuit.

    --
    Cheerful Pedalling John Mallard

  3. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

    John Mallard wrote:
    > I've become extreemly adept at getting it back on the
    > crank without stopping

    Of course, I meant getting it back on the _chainwheel_ doh!

    --
    Cheerful Pedalling John Mallard

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > Was cycling up a short but steep hill today. Went to click
    > down a gear. All of a sudden no forward momentum of bike,
    > but a blur of whizzing pedals. Chain had come off. Cue
    > frantic, wimpy girlie wails as I realise my predicament as
    > the bike stalls and I try to unclip foot from pedal doing
    > what feels like 180rpm...

    I know that feeling! It is rather unpleasant. Still,
    nothing compared to the feeling I had today as I realised I
    was hurtling 25mph downhill towards a barrier accross the
    road with only a few yards to stop. Sunglasses + sun in +
    weedy white wooden barrier + stupid rider would have
    equaled disaster if my brakes weren't working so well. It
    also feels very weird to be going along with your back
    wheel high in the air!

    Deda Dog Fang... that's what you need, by the way, to
    prevent chain ever coming off your granny. It's got to be
    worth a try with a name like that.

    cheers ~PB

  5. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    Exact same thing happend to me yesterday morning on a
    particular steep and busy hill. Lucily my SPD-SL's are a
    doddle to clip out of and I almost made it look like my stop
    was intentional.

    Teach me to use the granny!!

  6. Iain Jones

    Iain Jones Guest

    [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Was cycling up a short but steep hill today. Went to click
    > down a gear. All of a sudden no forward momentum of bike,
    > but a blur of whizzing pedals. Chain had come off. Cue
    > frantic, wimpy girlie wails as I realise my predicament as
    > the bike stalls and I try to unclip foot from pedal doing
    > what feels like 180rpm...
    >
    > Luckily I managed to retain a small amount of dignity,
    > unclip and stop properly without falling off and being a
    > total lemon :)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Happened to me last year. In thick trees, round a hairpin
    bend, met a sudden 1-in-5. Clicked onto little chainring a
    little too eagerly. Sudden loss of resistance on pedals = I
    fall over. Luckily no-one around to see
    me. Brush muck off leg, pick bike up, pretend nothing
    happened.....