General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Op Ed Slamming 7 Marathons/7Days

Started by Globaldisc · · Last activity · 3 posts · 479 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 October 2003
Last activity
3 November 2003
Original author
Globaldisc
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
479
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ultramarathonworld.comn27oc03c.htm

    The marathon gets no respect - Joe Wills Athletic stunts undermining classic endurance test

    Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Joe Wills says the marathon is being diminished as a test of endurance by
    stunt artists passing off training runs as the real thing. The Baton Rouge attorney, marathoner,
    ultramarathoner and triathlete says the only real marathons are those run in real races, like the
    New York City and Houston.

    "I haven't written you since very early in the Robert Garside 'affair' but I feel compelled to
    comment on the increasing publicity in all the media to 'marathon distance running' stunts (latest
    being the 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents)," Wills writes.

    "A marathon is a competitive scored event over a specified course at a specified time. A 26.2-mile
    (42.2Km) run, outside of such an event, is just that, a long (usually unverifiable) run," he notes.

    "If I go out this morning and run 26.2 miles, I have gotten in my long run of the week but I have
    not done a marathon."

    "If I drive to Houston in January and run the Houston marathon course on Saturday, then run the
    marathon on Sunday, I have only done one marathon. If I do a 6 day race and cover 471.6+ miles, I
    have done a very respectable six-day race but I certainly have not done 18 marathons," Wills says.

    "I've been an ultrarunner of very modest talent since 1988 and have known many, more talented,
    ultra-runners who have achieved runs exceeding the marathon distance for many consecutive days
    without seeking the publicity by claiming to have done dozens of marathons in several weeks.

    "Seven marathon-distance runs on seven continents in seven days is certainly a world-class
    achievement for the travel industry but hardly an exceptional athletic accomplishment. While I
    strongly support encouraging long-distance running, I feel the marathon - the race not the distance
    - deserves more respect. Thanks for letting me vent my opinion."

  2. [email hidden] (Globaldisc) wrote:

    Thanks for sharing this one.

    Quoted message said:

    "If I go out this morning and run 26.2 miles, I have gotten in my long run of the week but I have
    not done a marathon."

    Yes...

    Quoted message said:

    "If I drive to Houston in January and run the Houston marathon course on Saturday, then run the
    marathon on Sunday, I have only done one marathon.

    This guy's a fully paid-up member of the elitist fly-buggerers association. Maybe even a founder.
    What if I run the Saturday run faster than the Sunday one?

    Quoted message said:

    "Thanks for letting me vent my opinion."

    He could have done that in the john, seeing what the venting produced.

  3. [email hidden] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "I've been an ultrarunner of very modest talent since 1988 and have known many, more talented,
    ultra-runners who have achieved runs exceeding the marathon distance for many consecutive days
    without seeking the publicity by claiming to have done dozens of marathons in several weeks.

    Does he have a problem with those who seek publicity stealing it from those who don´t seek it?:-)

    (Not that the publicity actually won by someone who has done multiple marathons within a certain
    period of time has ever been big enough to catch my attention...)

    Quoted message said:

    "Seven marathon-distance runs on seven continents in seven days is certainly a world-class
    achievement for the travel industry but hardly an exceptional athletic accomplishment. While I
    strongly support encouraging long-distance running, I feel the marathon - the race not the
    distance - deserves more respect. Thanks for letting me vent my opinion."

    It is certainly true that seven marathon in seven days is not a truly exceptional athletic
    achievement, but that´s quite beside the point.

    The 7/7/7 will be an exceptional achievement, however, when a 59-year-old man who has undergone a
    recent bypass operation (and not an ultra-runner) does it - and it gets the amount of publicity it
    does becausethe man is who he is (and not the average Joe).

    And however I try to squint, I cannot see the 7/7/7 (or any similar feat/publicity stunt) in any way
    diminishing the respect of anyone´s marathon race performance or effort.

    (FWIW, the benefit of venting one´s opinion often is that one´s opinions don´t get as stale
    as these...)

    Anders

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.