Open Hostility 2

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by astroluc, May 23, 2007.

1. astroluc

astroluc New Member

OK... I want to hear your stories or insight into the seemingly hostile behaviour a lot of "motorists" have for cyclists; roadies in particular.

In my limited experience I have been hollared at far more on my roadbike than on my MTB or as a pedestrian. MY jogging friends express feelings of confusion and bewilderment when I relay stories of people yelling or honking...

...why all the hate?

Tags:

2. lance99

lance99 New Member

because my fat ass disturbs them? seriously though the human race is
    f'ed up and thats the bottom line:( Becareful out there all you fellow
    riders. I did my 17 mile daily without incident. A beautiful morning in the
    Northeastern U.S.A

3. stlblues

stlblues New Member

We remind them that they are lazy and thier waist line is everexpanding and will continue to do so if they don't put forth a little effort. People hate to be reminded they need to exercise, pisses them off. We don't have much of a problem with yelling around here, but we've experienced it in many areas of the country where we have ridden, especially out east.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiflul.......stop staring at my wifes butt.

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

The only reason that I can see for the hostility is that most bicyclists cannot acheive a speed anywhere close to the speed limit. I mean I can usually maintain 20 - 25 MPH on the flat, less up hills, and most of our posted speed limits around here are 35 MPH and up except in school zones. Unless there is room for them to get around you, they have to slow way down (the posted speed limit is way too slow for most drivers).

Back in the days when I was in high school I used to do a lot of solitary rides on low traffic back country roads. Not smart these days but it was a lot safer back then. Anyway, I was rolling down a hill when I heard a car coming from behind me at a high rate of speed. I pulled over near the edge line of the road and this car comes screaming past and went over the next rise. I heard it slow down and sounded as if it were turning around. The next thing I know is it is flying back over the hill right at me. I jumped off the bike and behind a nearby telephone pole. The car made three more passes and I stayed behind the telephone pole the whole time. If he was going to get me, he was going to have to take out the telephone pole. This is the worst hostility that has ever been directed at me. I have endured the finger and the screamed obscenities the same as everone else.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Because they're humans. The distribution of assholes among motorists is the same as it is among cyclists.