Open Hostility

nosduh

Aug 7, 2006
Has anyone ever wondered why a lot of people on forums are so hostile in discussions?

I am not talking about heated debates I am talking about instead of having objective discussions where two reasonable people can disagree, it digresses into name calling and many times very offensive and vulgar insults.

This is a similar reason why I got out of gaming. You couldnt keep the jerks off of the servers who seemed to gain pleasure out of coming in and being offensive. It took the fun and pleasure out of playing.

I don't know if it is the anonymity of the internet or what, but I think that has something to do with it.

It just seems to me that there are lots of people in internet forums in general, not just this one, who need to take a step back and realize the person on the other end is just a person. We may not agree, but I can tell you I think your wrong without calling your a *&@T@^% moron or something. Bringing in that kind of rhetoric only spawns more. It gets tiresome after a while.

In fact, I hesitate to post this as I am sure there will be posts like I am talking about above. But, it is something I wanted to throw out there so please, don't post on this thread unless you have something serious to add.

Thougts?

by the title I thought you were asking about the seeming hostility most drivers seem to have for cyclists, while all but ignoring skateboarders, joggers, walkers, etc... but I guess not :(

I agree with you 100%. I confess that I lost my cool in this forum one time when a "contributor" began berating another previous post. It was late and his post really pushed some major buttons with me. As far as the anonymity of the internet is concerned, it was probably good for both of us because had we been face to face, one of us would have been going to the hospital and the other possibly to jail.

One thing that really gets to me is how much political commentary some of the posters put in their posts. Pretty soon, the line of the thread is completely lost. There is no group of people who can agree 100% on politics. From now on, I am going to only submit posts concerning bicycling and ignore anything concerning politics. There are plenty of political forums on the internet for those who want to read that.

astroluc said:
by the title I thought you were asking about the seeming hostility most drivers seem to have for cyclists, while all but ignoring skateboarders, joggers, walkers, etc... but I guess not :(
If this is what you want to talk about, start a thread for it. I've got a couple of stories for it.:rolleyes:

nosduh said:
Has anyone ever wondered why a lot of people on forums are so hostile in discussions?

I am not talking about heated debates I am talking about instead of having objective discussions where two reasonable people can disagree, it digresses into name calling and many times very offensive and vulgar insults.

This is a similar reason why I got out of gaming. You couldnt keep the jerks off of the servers who seemed to gain pleasure out of coming in and being offensive. It took the fun and pleasure out of playing.

I don't know if it is the anonymity of the internet or what, but I think that has something to do with it.

It just seems to me that there are lots of people in internet forums in general, not just this one, who need to take a step back and realize the person on the other end is just a person. We may not agree, but I can tell you I think your wrong without calling your a *&@T@^% moron or something. Bringing in that kind of rhetoric only spawns more. It gets tiresome after a while.

In fact, I hesitate to post this as I am sure there will be posts like I am talking about above. But, it is something I wanted to throw out there so please, don't post on this thread unless you have something serious to add.

Thougts?
Don't know what to tell yah Hudson.... The world is full of @ssholes.

If they would confine their virulence to the Your Bloody Soap Box forum I wouldn't care. That's what it's there for. Fortunately some do, or it would be even worse. There are several who are absolute Firebands on that forum who are constructive in their comments and stick to the point elsewhere. I wish that more would follow their example!

You can see by the number of posts that I have made that I used to be a pretty active member of this forum. It used to be a great place to talk cycling. I don't bother coming around much anymore because the forum has devolved into a biased, delusional *****-fest. The Usual Suspects *****ing about the usual ********. "Moderators" moderating posts by their "adversaries" when their "buddies" are actually making far more offensive posts (which is evidently okay) and closing threads so they can have the last word. Advertisments making-up half of the new threads. They need to change the name of the Grand Tours forum to Grand Doping since you need to sift through 10 doping threads to find one that actually discusses a Grand Tour. This entire forum has essentially gone to hell in a hand-basket.

Yeah, they closed a thread I was involved with today. It was a good one. I did not realize one of they guys they were beating on was a moderator.

Most of us were havine a good discussion on Floyd Landis. There was a "sub-thread" of **** that the mod was involved in. Apparently he got mad and closed it.

nosduh said:

More seriously, if you want to participate in discussion of controversial issues that are being argued passionately on the Internet then you need to grow a pair. It also helps if you know what you are talking about, can rationally argue your position, and read a forum for a while so you know who is who.

I do "have a pair", however discussions, even heated discussions, can take place while not being abusive and offensive.