Open Question- What did you see on your ride today?

Great White egrets, Great blue herons, Lots of Cattel Ergets, Alligator, Lots of farm animals. A thunderstorm, and since I am sitting on a lightning rod, I went home.

Many way too many Canadian geese and slippery goose droppings all over the river trail. I wish they would take them off the endangered species list. They are much easier to tolerate in quantities of less than 1000 per 100 feet.

bikinchris said:
Great White egrets, Great blue herons, Lots of Cattel Ergets, Alligator, Lots of farm animals. A thunderstorm, and since I am sitting on a lightning rod, I went home.

Actually, you're not. If you wrap yourself in aluminum foil and walk out into a thunderstorm, you're no more likely to be struck than if you were naked. Same goes for being on a bike.

Yesterday I did a race of 92 km (line-race, not a circuit) around and inside the delta of the Po river, that's the longest italian river. A lot of sun, 27°C, a lot of wind, a crazy average speed for that wind (44+ km/h) and... we had to pass several bridges made of boats between the small islands of the delta... very nice, heh! buombobumbobmbuom all the pack on the wooden bridges...

WOW. nice posts folks. keep them coming.

gooddoggy, kdelong and sikhandar are the winners so far, i think.

biking around the Po sounds amazing.

My latest ride took me across the Hudson River, 250 feet up, on a bridge made of concrete and steel. pretty cool.

I saw lots of farmers fields, trees, other bikes, the riders a** in front of me, Lake Ontario, and 90km on my Garmin at the end.:)

kdelong said:
Many way too many Canadian geese and slippery goose droppings all over the river trail. I wish they would take them off the endangered species list. They are much easier to tolerate in quantities of less than 1000 per 100 feet.
Endangered list, must be different game laws than here. We can harvest 6 a day and that goes from practically Sept to Feb.

BigUgly said:
Endangered list, must be different game laws than here. We can harvest 6 a day and that goes from practically Sept to Feb.

Hmmm. In Texas, drivers are allowed to harvest 3 cyclists per year, either using their car or an appropriately oversized assault weapon.

This morning I saw,

2 New speed bumps that weren't there yesterday. The Caribbean Sea, a 1/2 inch wrench, a very cheap looking fake gold bracelet, snake road kill and a Tarantula, plus assorted assholes who think that it's Ok to overtake on corners and give cyclists about 6 inches of room.

3 years ago, on a ride I saw what appeared to be about a 10" black *****. I was so surprised to find out that JTE83 had been on a ride near where I live.

good one alienator...harvest of 3 bikers/year in tx...:eek:

been off bike for almost a week sick w/ resp. infec? need to ride.

somebody tell me more!!!

Rode a local rail trail today. Saw a bunch of old train rails and an 1898 vintage caboose. I also saw a rider riding on the road that runs parallel to the trail about 5 feet from it. It is far enough from any ride staging areas so that it is not crowded there. Now I know that a bicyclist is legally entitled to ride on the road, but why ride on the road when you have a perfectly good trail 5 feet away that is going to the same location that the road runs to:confused:? The trail is even in better condition than the road, having been resurfaced last year and the road has been resurfaced?????? (looks like long long ago). Anyway, I also saw a bunch of chipmunks running halfway across the trail and then reversing back the way they came. And I also encountered a couple so in love that they were in-line skating side by side holding hands, and refused to single up to let anyone get by them:mad:. I need to start carrying a gun as part of my cycling equipment;)! I'll only shoot out their wheels, homest:rolleyes:! (Oh, for those who think that I anwered my first question with the remark about the skaters, I encountered them well after the parallel road ended.)

Today I started out seeing rain clouds in the distance! Good motivation to get the ride over quickly. I encountered a scout troop out for a group ride, most of them riding big box store bikes. I almost went hoarse yelling "On your left". I also encountered a small group of Amish riders (very common in some parts of Ohio and Indiana). Otherwise, I just saw a bunch of friendly folks enjoying a bike trail. I did see my ODO turn over 2000 miles which is really good for me this early in the summer, especially with all of the rain that we have had, and I hate to ride in rain so I don't if I can help it. I also saw my truck, with the bike loaded into the back seat instead of the bed, just as the rain started coming down in earnest. Only got 26 miles in but I stayed dry!

Oh, and I saw a guy ahead of me riding with very bad form, knees moving in a different direction than the bike, and I mean it was extreme. If I could have caught him, I would have told him about it.:D

Let's try it again...all south Jersey.

A cranberry bog

Site of an unfortunate historic event, and

What happened when a dam broke a few years ago.

is that a canoe wrapped around a tree? great shot. i'm surprised noone has taken that down.

today i saw seventy two miles of pavement roll under my wheels. a good long one for me.

been enjoying the summer and apparently increasing my stamina. sweet. too bad my computer died mid-ride.

Yes, it's a canoe. It has become a visual reminder of what swept through.

Bummer when the computer goes mid-ride. Almost as bad as eventually noticing that you forgot to reset it from the last ride when you started out!

two snakes, a flock of valtures eating a deer carcaus, a turtle, but mostly I say the open road and enjoyed every mile of it.

Did not had my camera on me, but passed through a nice stork's nest with the stork couple inside, I smiled and rolled over :)

Well, seeing as I live in a pretty urban town in New Jersey, I saw lots of asphalt, houses, cars, and small stores.

I wish I had more scenic qualities to my area. Open road through rural country would be spectacular.