Opening up new(er) Campy hubs (10s) & Pulley bolts

Pete Grey

Guest
I was rebuilding my summer ride last night, but was only able to do one of the hubs. They have the
new locknut, the one that's split and tightened with a 2mm allen, which is slick and easy to adjust.
I got the fronts open with two 5mm allens, and a lot of effort. When trying to do the rears, I was
bending my decent (Bondhus) allen keys, to the point it started to worry me. Is there a trick to
getting these open? Do I need a set of keys with more leverage?

Also, one of my pulley bolts sheared off when I removed it (the darn thing is hollow now!). Used a
regular allen bolt/washer for now, so I'm back together, but would like to have the original bolt.
Tried a couple of LBS, but all I got was a blank stare. Did some simple searches online, but no
luck, other than finding a parts breakdown on the campy site. Anyone know if these are available?

Thanks,

-pete

"Pete Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I was rebuilding my summer ride last night, but was only able to do one of the hubs. They have the
> new locknut, the one that's split and tightened with a 2mm allen, which is slick and easy to
> adjust. I got the fronts open with two 5mm allens, and a lot of effort. When trying to do the
> rears, I was bending my decent (Bondhus) allen keys, to the point it started to worry me. Is there
> a trick to getting these open? Do I need a set of keys with more leverage?
>

> Also, one of my pulley bolts sheared off when I removed it (the darn thing is hollow now!). Used a
> regular allen bolt/washer for now, so I'm back together, but would like to have the original bolt.
> Tried a couple of LBS, but all I got was a blank stare. Did some simple searches online, but no
> luck, other than finding a parts breakdown on the campy site. Anyone know if these are available?

For diagram of Record hub, go to Campagnolo website here:
http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares02_B.pdf (scroll down to p. 12 of 32)

For tech manual, go here: http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/178-FI%20Mozzi%20Post%202000.pdf

For parts, online try either Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com (very knowledge guy) or Branford
Bike at www.branfordbike.com

or any LBS should be able to order these parts thru any campy distributor like QBP (otherwise
they're lazy)....

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:38:56 +0000, Pete Grey wrote:

> When trying to do the rears, I was bending my decent (Bondhus) allen keys, to the point it started
> to worry me. Is there a trick to getting these open?

Turn it the other way. Seriously.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

Pete Grey wrote:
> I was rebuilding my summer ride last night, but was only able to do one of the hubs. They have the
> new locknut, the one that's split and tightened with a 2mm allen, which is slick and easy to
> adjust. I got the fronts open with two 5mm allens, and a lot of effort. When trying to do the
> rears, I was bending my decent (Bondhus) allen keys, to the point it started to worry me. Is there
> a trick to getting these open? Do I need a set of keys with more leverage?

The nuts can get very tightly stuck on in my experience too (with new-style Chorus hubs). Check the
manual and apply more force ...and don't be alarmed by the "crack" noise as it comes free! I also
happened to use a Bondhus (GorillaGrip Fold Up) tool - on one side, and a regular 5mm key with a
special handle attachment on the other - holding one side still while turning the other.

Use plenty of grease and minimal torque when assembling next time.

> Also, one of my pulley bolts sheared off when I removed it (the darn thing is hollow now!). Used a
> regular allen bolt/washer for now, so I'm back together, but would like to have the original bolt.
> Tried a couple of LBS, but all I got was a blank stare. Did some simple searches online, but no
> luck, other than finding a parts breakdown on the campy site. Anyone know if these are available?

They should be (but I don't know from where in the US). I would consider buying a used old
derailleur just for spares.

~PB

Pete-<< When trying to do the rears, I was bending my decent (Bondhus) allen keys, to the point it
started to worry me. Is there a trick to getting these open? >><BR><BR>

Put one 5mm key into a vice, hub on top and then another long one in the non-drive side. They are
tight, for good reason..

Remember the right side lock nut is left threaded...if you want to take the freehub off the axle.
Loosens with a 17mm open end wrench.

<< Also, one of my pulley bolts sheared off when I removed it (the darn thing is hollow now!). Used
a regular allen bolt/washer for now, so I'm back together, but would like to have the original bolt.
Tried a couple of LBS, but all I got was a blank stare. >><BR><BR>

Which bolts/rear der? We have them. It is amazing to see so many bike shops that are parts and
supplier challenged!!!